Chapter 2

The only sound coming from the kitchen is the clatter of forks against plates. I tried several times to make conversation with people, but everyone gave me a quick answer, destroying the purpose of me talking to them in the first place.

          “How was school, Beck?” I questioned, popping a forkful of food in my mouth. I’m not positive what I’m eating because Chloe likes to try different recipes all the time. She’s designated as chef and even if she comes up with the weirdest meals to try out, they always turn out great.

          He looked up from his plate stuffed with food and gave me a death glare before continuing eating like I never spoke. Trying again, I went for a more reasonable approach. “I heard one of the football players broke his leg and won’t be able to play the rest of the season. They’re trying to fill the spot. You should try out, Beck. You used to play sports all the time.”

          “It’s not football season, dumba*s.” He stated, rolling his eyes.

          “Oh.” I puckered my lips and shrugged my shoulders, not at all bothered by his attitude. “Maybe it was soccer. Or baseball. Something like that.”

          I waited a few minutes for him to say something, but after a while I realized he wasn’t going to. “Are you going to try out?” I asked gently, hoping not to get him agitated.

          “Just stay the f*ck out of my business!” he snapped, causing me to jump a little due to the unexpectedness.

          A fist slammed down on the table, causing everything to clatter and the table to shake. “Beck!” Jackson snarled viciously, the growl in his chest vibrating intensely. “Why do you have to act like a little b*tch every time she opens her mouth?” Jackson growled, standing up for me like he always did.

          Beck grinned and at that moment I wished I could vanish in thin air. “Her mouth is always open. We all know how much of a whore she is. Dad, especially.”

          “What the hell is your problem?! You know she-” Jackson started to yell before I cut in.

          “Jacks, it’s okay.” I promised. “Don’t worry about it.” I picked up my plate and bottle of water and stood. “I’ll go eat in my room.”

          I left the kitchen before he had the chance to tell me to sit down and entered my room, placing my food on the desk in the far right corner. What Beck said definitely hurt and I struggled not to cry at the memories bombarding me. He doesn’t understand what it was like for me and I know I should be considerate of how all of this has affected him, but it would be easier if he wasn’t as nasty.

          I took out my sketch pad and flipped past my last artwork to a fresh page where my hand took over and began drawing. Time froze around me and I became so lost, I couldn’t even identify what I drew. My eyes were glued to the page and my head drifted into another world, allowing my hands to take over.

***

          “Come in!” his husky voice called and I smiled widely.

          I’ve never been in a guy’s room before and even if it’s my mate’s, it’s definitely something I’m not comfortable with. As the door opened wider and wider I was able to see my mate’s curious eyes. My gaze shifted from my mate to the half-naked girl straddling his waist and my eyes widened as I realized what I interrupted.

          “O-oh. I’m s-sorry.” I stammered. It took all of the little strength that I had not to burst into tears.

          “What do you want?” he snapped, rubbing his hand up the girl’s thigh, making her giggle.