Chapter 7

dedicated to Aururu for being the first to comment:)

              I left the shelter about an hour later and prepared for my long walk home. Rosie kept offering to give me a ride home and practically begged, but I declined because she was going the opposite way. I tried to call Jackson again, but this time no one answered so I decided to leave him be and walk.

          It’s still early so the sky was light and the temperature rested at a comfortable degree that kept me cool. I stopped at the mailbox as usual on my way up the driveway and received the large pile from the already open slot. I opened the second mailbox that was rusted and dented like someone attacked it with a bat, just in case some of the mail was sent to our old home. I pulled out the two envelopes in it, reading over my father’s name and then closing the squeaky door.

          I flipped through the pile twice in search of another response from the colleges I applied to, but came up with nothing. I sighed and made my way down the driveway, already feeling my legs throbbing from the walk from the animal shelter.

          Halfway down the driveway and my two dogs started barking from close by, before they came running from the house and ambushed me. I laughed as they knocked me over and bumped the mail out of my hands. They must have been doing something to upset Jackson, that’s why they were outside and running freely.

          Picking up the mail sprawled out in the grass, I got to my feet and started walking again as both dogs trailed along with me. It wasn’t long until we reached the house and I opened the front door to hear yelling from down the hall where Jackson’s office is. I let my dogs in as they ran in opposite directions and dropped my bag near the stairs along with my shoes.

          I went directly to the kitchen, which was empty and placed the mail on the counter. I grabbed a water bottle from the fridge and gulped some down as a door slammed from upstairs.

          “Who just walked in?”

          I turned around at the sound of Jackson’s voice, but when I couldn’t hear any response, I put my attention on the sink. Dishes were over flowing out of it, which meant they already had dinner and no one bothered to clean the dishes.

          Sighing heavily in frustration, I put my hair in a ponytail and opened the dishwasher full with clean dishes. As I started putting the dishes into the cabinets, heavy footsteps headed towards the kitchen and stopped at the entrance.

          “What the h*ll, Rain?”

          Frowning in confusion, I turned around towards Jackson to see him glaring with his arms crossed over his chest. His tone obviously meant business and that I was in trouble. “What’s wrong?”

          “Are you f*cking stupid?” he shouted. “How many times do I have to tell you to call me if you’re going somewhere or you need a ride? I’ve been f*cking worried sick about you for the last two hours! Not even a text to tell me where you are?”

          Gaping in surprise, I clutched the bottom of my shirt and counted to ten in my head to steady my rapid heartbeat. Jackson never yelled at me and if he was upset he never raised his voice. Taking big breaths to stop from crying and running to hide in my room, I gulped back the lump in my throat.

          “I-I did call.” I whispered since my voice wasn’t strong enough to go any louder. He narrowed his eyes and stepped forward, throwing his hand sideways and sending a mug flying into a wall. I pressed my back against the counter and stared at the broken pieces of glass on the ground with wide eyes. I hope he hasn’t been drinking.