Chapter 8 - Semi Final

"Alright!" The Inquisitor said into his microphone, "everyone please! Quiet down so we can get started."

It was midday, the battle was going to begin in a couple hours thanks to a sudden change of plans from Sebastian during the night. Everyone was gathered inside the Accords Hall with the windows boarded up so the vampires could be there too without burning to death. All of yesterday they had been practising with robots, dummies, targets and each other. It was tiring but all necessary for today. The vampires were unable to join until after sundown, making them one species short; but Sebastian had fewer demons during the day also, so they were both weakened for the worse. So perhaps if they were quick on getting Sebastian dead the night battle may not arrive and hundreds of lives would be saved. Though that was unlikely.

No one exactly showed any fear except some of the young people who had never fought in battle. Like before, they would use Clary's binding rune to share the powers of downworld. Warlocks were hardest since it took years of training to master magic but the quick healing came in handy, not needing to worry about having to hide to draw a quick iratze somewhere that you can't even reach.Everyone had their ups and downs but all in all their forces were stronger and gave them an advantage.

If you happened to try and look for a pattern in the crowd, you would notice on rather obvious one. The couples. They all stood together in hope they would both make it through. Sure, there was the rune that could bring dead back to life as long as you got it on them within the first minute of death (this worked on downworlders but Sebastian and the Fay had no knowledge the rune even existed). But what if they got seperated and no one else did it for them?

Then of course, there was Izzy, Jace, and Magnus, hidden at the back in the shadows. They had their own plan, in which only they and Simon knew of. They wouldn't participate in battle, they had what was to them, a far more important deed. The rest of the shadowhunters were rather stupid when it came to Sebastian; for he was smart and manipulative, whereas the shadowhunters....weren't. As Jace said, 'the Clave have the collective intelligence of a pineapple.' Was rather accurate.

During Alec's search, there was really only Maryse that also believed Sebastian would not be in battle, he would be off in a battle tower somewhere; in which Alec only-at the time- was being held. But of course, now Clary was there to. Far less time, but Sebastian now had their biggest weapon, but not their second. Jace was still here. Clary was the bait to lure Jace away, that bit was obvious. So they all hoped their friends and loved ones-that still remained- would live through the battle. It would be as before when Sebastian died the first time, all the demons would simply disappear.

"Understood, Herondale?" A voice said right in front of Jace's face.

"Inquisitor, don't get me started. I don't like you, and I wasn't listening anyway."

"Didn't think so." He spat, "so either leave, and prepare to die since you're so suicidal and don't know the current battle tactics. So please, bring Clary and go."

"I'm afraid I can't do that." He had hit Jace's weak spot, but his voice kept a confident one.

"Stop being protective because we need her."
"Let me explain will you!? By the angel. Sebastian took her a couple nights ago, she was sick when he took her, but I'm near fully confident he healed her with magic and she is probably now sick in a different way. You wouldn't understand."

The inquisitor was shocked. No one ever spoke to him like that. "Well, I uh- that's unfortunate. Do you know the runes?"

"I know many. Could be a bit more specific, inquisitor."

"Do not speak to me in that tone, Jonathan. I mean, the runes she has created in the past years."

"You didn't record them in the grey book? Rather stupid of you, isn't it? Not write down some of the most lethal runes ever created."

"Sebastian has the only copy."

"Idiots, all of you. But yes, I do."

"Come with me then. I need you to show us all." Jace sighed, "now."

~*~

Isabelle was watching her father from a distance, not wanting to tell him the good news yet. He wouldn't approve anyway. "Isabelle, darling." She tore her gaze away and saw her mum smiling, "you look angry. What's your father done now?"

"Being horrible about Alec and Clary, saying it's no wonder they're both captured, weak targets. And now I'm debating if I should bother telling him about Simon. Or if I should wait until battle is over, in case one of more of us don't pull through. Who knows what's in that tower..."

"You and Simon? Sounds complicated. You'll be fine sweety, we all will. All four of us. Fourth being Alec, not Simon, sorry. So uh- Raziel, forget I said anything."

"Simon is a good thing.. Not complicated at all."

"Oh?"

Hesitantly, Izzy raised her left hand to show her mum the ring. "Oh, Isabelle! It's georgous! Oh I'm so happy for you two!" She pulled her daughter into a tight hug and squeezed. "If I don't help plan the wedding, then I must be dead. Oh my gosh oh my gosh!"

"Mum! Calm down!" They both blushed a bright red, "don't need to tell everyone, though that would be nice. But still, no."

"You're mean! But, okay. I'll keep quiet. Who else knows?"

"No one, I haven't told anyone yet. I want to wait as you said, until this is all over so nothing happens that we don't expect."

An unexpected silence fell between the two, her mum was never one to end a conversation so abruptly; blaming it on nerves, they both shrugged simultaneously and left in seperate directions to find different people and simply; prepare.

~*~

Magnus had ignored the meeting completely, staying outside instead of listening to the whining and complaining of everyone, he was not in the mood for it. The sudden change in time had forced him to change tactic completely. He'd managed to create a plan he would carry out in time to find the others and aid in killing Sebastian. This was all assuming Alec was alive, there was no reason or explanation that he wouldn't. Magnus was more than certain Alec would be simply rather beaten. Like when he was with Luc, but that time has been forgotten by all but Magnus and Jace; poor Izzy never knew a thing.

Now, with two hours to spare, the warlock had to create a new plan or he would end up winging the whole thing and then everyone would probably end up dead because of him. His breathing began to quicken and his heart hurt, his legs turning to jelly and teeth gritting. Magnus was slowly growing paranoid and would end up in hysterics if his friend Lupin hadn't put a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Calm down, you'll give yourself a heart attack."

"Lupin.." Magnus sighed in relief, "I could use the company."

"Look, I know your plan has gone to hell so please, let me help."

"You're needed in battle, you can save many lives."

"What if... I bug into your conscience surroundings, then I can found out if help is needed?"

"No, Lupin. We don't need your help. And if we do well... I'll have Isabelle to rely on. Jace is portalling Clary home and I'll help Alec out. Then together we kill Sebastian, he can't kill us all at once. We'll be fine."

"What if Alec and Clary aren't? You have to take in all the possibilities. Even those you don't want to think of." Lupin removed his hand and sat in Magnus' lap. "You know which ones I mean."

"No. It's impossible, alright? Alec is not dead, and if you keep trying to convince me he is, you'll be the one who's dead."

"And my soul will imprison yours into the void until you end up killing yourself. Do you really want that?"

"Just because you're old and boring," Magnus flicked Lupin's head, "doesn't mean I care about your elderly consequences."

"You could be me one day."

"Only if Alec is by my side.." Lupin's ear perked up, "it would be nice."

"Magnus.. You know that's a terrible idea. It would probably kill you."

Magnus didn't respond. Instead, he turned his head in the direction towards the battle grounds. It was still quiet, an hour and a half to go until Magnus' plan and whatever all the other races had planned go into action until death or who knows how long. Magnus pitied those who would die, the majority don't deserve it. No one deserves to die really, everyone is kind deep down at heart. Even a demon like Sebastian. Not that Magnus liked him, no, he wanted him dead more than almost anything.

Jace came outside with the inquisitor with a grumpy expression. They were mumbling to each other and Jace tried to catch Magnus' eye but couldn't for he was looking the opposite way, as if oblivious to the two of them walking past, both with glum I-don't-want-to-be-near-you-right-now expressions. Jace clearly couldn't care less about the thousands of lives at risks if he didn't write down these runes, while the inquisitor could not be more ticked off at him for it.

Lupin watched them, his eyes narrowed at Jace, as if he had seen him once before, or heard a description of him from somewhere. Most likely from Magnus no doubt, why, he couldn't remember. His memory was a rather selective one. "I'm going to help if things go terribly wrong, whether you're conscious or not, I won't let your friends die." He kissed his cheek in a friendly manner, got up, and went back inside.

~*~

Half an hour later, Jace returned with fresh runes along his arms and a stele in another so he could share powers with Magnus that he wouldn't bother using anyway, but the healing would help keep him alive at least, magic was just far too complicated. Strength, agility... The list went on for what else he could use as an advantage. "Jace!" Isabelle called.

He turned and grinned, striding when he suddenly cried out in pain and collapsed forward, clutching at his chest. A sharp stroke of pain shot through him and he gasped, rolled onto his back and pressed down hard over where his heart was. "Jace!" She cried again and ran to him, kneeling beside. "What is it? Are you alright?"

"My..." He slid his hand under his tee slowly and quickly pulled it out. "My heart hurts. It's pounding, I'm hot, I think I'm..." He had to think of an excuse, fast. "Nervous. Paranoid. I don't know Izzy, this has never happened before."

"Oh Jace..." She sighed, "stay outside and we'll re-run through our plan."

"We have a plan?" He managed to slow his breathing and sit up shaking.

"Well, no, but it'll pass the time. Or do you want to train?"

"Both. Both is good." Isabelle nodded and helped pull him up.

Together they walked back outside and saw Magnus still sitting there alone. Jace wondered what had got him so worked up, he didn't have much to worry about. Did he? Jace didn't know, but his runes were playing up and acting strange. Jace sure hoped that was the answer, not what reality was screaming in his face. He knew putting the rune over his heart would hurt if broken, but damn it wasn't a fraction of the emotions that hit him; but telling the others was out of the question.

Isabelle stared at him with worry. Jace never got worked up over battle, his nerves never got to him so badly. Something was seriously wrong, but he was refusing to spill the beans. Perhaps he was hungry... For beans. Or just food, he hadn't eaten in about a day. "Jace, when did you last eat?"

"I had toast for breakfast.." He murmured, "I'm not hungry. I'm fine, really. Magnus just has a lot ahead of him." Magnus tensed.

"We all do. Us three, mum, Simon, Luke, everyone; no matter who's doing what, we're all putting our lives on the line. Now I'm sorry if that just sounds repetitive but it's true. There's one hour to go and all they're doing is arguing, we really need to hope our family make it through."

"I have no family.."

Izzy felt hurt by that comment. "You're a Lightwood in my eyes. You have a great brother and sister, our parents love you."

"You have parents to look out for. I have a brother to kill and a girlfriend to save. That is my duty Isabelle. And I won't let anyone get in the way of that. Sebastian is mine, and mine alone to kill. This. Is. Personal."

~*~

Clary scratched at the wooden floor, seeing how deep she could scratch before someone other than Sebastian and his demons come along. Sebastian was currently with Alec, doing who knows what. There wasn't much more he could do to him, as Sebastian described, Alec was 'no longer use to anyone'. But she preferred not to think about that.

The meeting with the Seelie Queen had been a terrifying and nerve wracking experience. Drugged and then waking up alone with her, it wasn't pleasant. The fact that she had changed her mind about Clary and wanted Alec instead was strange, how was Alec more worthy of her time? What could he do that she couldn't? Her mind couldn't think of anything, but apparently there were plenty of reasons.

Sebastian returned into the room with a very moody expression. "Sebastian?"

"Shut it." He snapped at her.

That was another thing. Sebastian had twice acted kind towards her for mere seconds before snapping back. One with the queen, the other before they left, telling her about the potion. If this was a sign of some goodness breaking through, she still wouldn't love him. Not after everything that has happened. Especially to Alec. What exactly did he hate about the Lightwoods so much? They were lovely people, all unique in their own way. Even if Clary had only met Robert Lightwood a few times, he still seemed nice. But Luke was better.

She hoped her mum was okay. After seeing her in the barn, that was a shock. Why didn't she do anything to help? Just stare at her doing nothing? Luke too! She felt disobeyed, dishonoured, hurt. Her own mother did nothing to help her only child. Hopefully she told someone, anyone but the Clave would do nicely.

A slap to the face made her snap back to the current time. Sebastian was kneeling in front of her, glaring right at her with his black hole eyes that seemed to suck out any happy life source like a deatheater from Harry Potter; though Sebastian probably didn't even know what or who that even was. "Sister."

"What?" Clary glared back, trying to match.

"It's your fault everything went wrong. It's your fault my plan is ruined!" His voice rose and rose with every word.

"No it wasn't! It was your own damn fault for what happened to Alec you monster."

"He did it to himself. I just slowed the process down so he could think about what he'd done. Interfering like that."

"So you're going to take your anger out on me? Gee, thanks."

"Shut up!" Sebastian undid the zipper on his trousers, "now I'm going to do what I've been waiting to do."

Clary stared in horror. "No..."

"Now you will pay..."

~*~

Twenty minutes to go. Everyone was now making their way over to the battle field. The argument inside had finished when Lupin had gone back inside, people were then exchanging bonding runes with a partner of another race. Others were mingling and the rest were putting on more runes for themselves. All in all, people had finally got their act together and had started to actually get ready for the battle ahead.

Outside, children were saying goodbye to their parents and older siblings for they would be going to the underground evacuation area that had been built a few years ago. It was safer down there since all the houses in Idris were right next to where the battle took place, and who knows what might happen if a demon or fey manages to get into the city and go on a killing spree. Nothing good, that's what.

Isabelle was with her parents so Magnus and Jace stood together in the background since they had no one of great importance to say good luck to. In Jace's eyes, good luck sounded like you didn't believe they would live so you wished them luck that they somehow would. So he always said nothing, because then in that way you believe they'll be fine so there's no need for false encouragement.

Robert gave Isabelle a hug. "I don't like vampires, but as long as you're happy baby girl. I bet your mother is hyped over the wedding."

"Yeah!" She giggles and hugged him back.

"I'm positioned near the front, so I promise I'll see you once this is all over, your mother too. Good luck sweethearts." He kissed her forehead and gave Maryse a soft and sweet kiss on the lips.
"We may fight, but I still love you." Maryse said and touched his cheek, "see you soon."

Isabelle sighed and hugged her mum, "be safe out there. I wish you were both on our rescue mission, it's so much safer."

"I'll be saving others while I'm out there, not just myself. Don't you worry, we'll be fine." Isabelle nodded and gave her another hug before letting go and walking over to the guys.

They all shared glances and nodded. Turning away from the crowd and walking towards the woods. It was time. There was no turning back now, it was now or never.

~*~

Lined up and ready. The shadowhunters and downworlders stood mixed together in a large block, taking up the entire field. Weapons drawn. Attack stances and defence at the ready. Everyone on high alert.

There were mere minutes to go before everything kicked off. Robert and his partner were first in line to attack. If the demons didn't make a starting move, then they would. Every moment wasted standing around was a moment more demons could appear from wherever Sebastian was having them portaled through. Demons were far stronger at night, so why start the battle just after when the sun is at its fullest. Less demons to fight and the good guys were missing every single invited vampire clan.

Two minutes and counting. The ground shook beneath them as Fey began to emerge from the ground, as if they were liquids turning back to their solid state. That was how they always appeared when wanting to be subtle, but when there's hundreds of them it wasn't so easy to do so.

Inbetween each one was at least two demons or varied species. From Shax to eidolon, from clavarks to Vraslasa. Each one varying in difficulty and time taken to defeat one. Getting outnumbered on one could be easy, whereas as too little of another can be a very bad or very good sign, depends on how long people have been fighting for. They knew they were in for a long one this time, because they don't know it was all up to Jace, Isabelle and Magnus to finish this once and for all.

The clock tower in the center struck two. Dong. The sound echoed over the plain, echoing off the trees. Dong. Everything was silent. People could hear their own and others' heartbeats in their blood rushed heads, the thrill and nerves beginning to get to everyone. With a loud screech, a demon raised its thorned tail and darted forward. The shadowhunters replied with their own cry and ran forward, weapons raised and armour on.

The battle, had begun.

~*~

(Fun fact: I was going to originally end the chapter there but I came up with a far worse cliffhanger for you guys.)

The cries of the shadowhunters echoed throughout the forest like lost souls in a graveyard. It wasn't a pleasant sound but not an unfamiliar one to the two shadowhunters. They had stayed on the border of the plain, waiting for the battle to begin while Magnus had ran ahead.

Jace had forgotten his earlier nerves and was now focused on the task ahead, get in, save Clary, kill Sebastian, get out and help finish off the battle. It seemed simple, but everything is easier said than done. Jace refused to let Izzy aid him in killing Sebastian. Sure, last time he wouldn't have been able to without her help but Clary's life wasn't at stake last time. Well- "Jace snap out of it!" Izzy hissed over the cries of battle.

"Sorry, just remembering the last time we killed him by that river."

"Well stop it. That was then, this is now. If you're this unfocused while we're in there, you will definitely die. No doubt about it."

"Thank you, for the confidence boost."

Isabelle rolled her eyes. "We need to go, who knows what's happening or how long we have until someone we know close to us dies! Either in there, or out fighting with everyone else." She stood and tightened her grip on her whip.

Jace nodded and stood also, pulling out one of his weaker seraph blades, saving his best for Sebastian. Special treatment as he had decide to call it at that exact moment. He pushed his fringe from his face and began walking towards the battle tower.

It was large. Very large, with no doubt a good three layers of basement. A tower protruded from the back of the building, going high up what looked like into the clouds but was a simple magic trick. They only knew this place existed because Magnus had stripped the glamour for them a couple days ago, it was extremely energy draining but he seemed to have recovered fully since. The wall was covered in moss and ivy, broken windows everywhere with no light inside them, but the front doors were wide open as Magnus had promised he would leave them like so.

There were no demons on guard which piqued Jace's curiosity. "Get your witchlight out, I don't trust anything right now." Isabelle nodded and held hers up, illuminating a small area around her and partially inside.

After a couple deep breaths, the two of them walked inside.

~*~

Clary screamed in absolute agony as Sebastian ripped through her virginity barrier with the force of a herd of stampeding elephants. The pain shaking her entire numb body. It had gone numb not long after Sebastian tightened her cuffs and literally, ripped her clothes off which now lay in a pile outside the door, which, stood at were numerous demons. Watching.

They'd been watching her for about ten minutes now, taking in her body as if she were a delicious meal or a free slut they were waiting in line for. The latter, was sadly true, but Clary didn't know that. After the Seelie Queen changed her mind about wanting her, Sebastian grew angry and did what he'd been waiting to do for seven years.

"Strike while she's defenceless, get the best out if it while she lasts." That's what the queen said, not as if his anger was already high thanks to Alec ruining his plans completely. He had played a large part in the end, but something deep down made him think otherwise. Course, he ignored it since Clary's screams and gasps and tears were pleasurably distracting him.

Like kind men, they stay still to allow their girl to adjust, but no. This was Sebastian, he couldn't care much less about her pain. He never did. He wanted pleasure, and if it were not day of battle, extra items would be used, a lot like Alec had.

After a good long while-good for Sebastian- he pulled out and shot all over her chest and face. He hated her, but he'd rather not be the father of his sister's child. But he didn't stop there, oh no. Clary, breathless, had just about stopped crying from the pain, and Sebastian found it annoying. He kissed her deeply, digging in his nails painfully to force her to kiss back. It was strange though, he tasted of pepper mint and... Leather?

Until later on, that was all she remembered, because she had refused to kiss back at all since all his nails did was increase the numbness, so he slapped her across the face with a blinding force. Clary had then punched him back, which only made him angrier, receiving multiple kicks to the ribs. "I'd kill you," he spat," but I need you alive." Kicking her once more,-in the face- she had slowly blacked out and another demon entered inside her.

~*~

Sebastian now stood in a tall tower where all the mechanisms sat. One pull of a lever would send the whole base up in flames. He just needed to wait for Jace to find him, he knew he would.

Out the small window he could see him and Isabelle approaching the entrance three floors down, not long after Magnus had come running and killed the three Shax demons that awaited him in one blow. Bit of a shame, but expected. An easy entrance for the other two, putting them on guard mode. What a shock Magnus would receive upon finding Alec, hopefully he would live to see the result. What? Of course I'll live! Sebastian thought, realising he was considering actual defeat again.

They disappeared inside, fear and determination clear on their faces, even from a distance. Into the fortress they went, their seraph blades drawn and glowing a bright icy blue.

~*~
It was dark. They pulled out their witchlight and began to inspect each room. Some full of weapons, others empty bedrooms. "Jace, where do you-" a scream cut Isabelle off mid-sentence. She found it somewhat familiar, but Jace paled to white as snow.

He took off at a run, Isabelle not far behind. The screams increased in length and volume "Get off me you demonic bastard!" The voice shouted, quieter, as if giving up against their will.

Rounding the next corner, two demons stood outside a door. Took one look at the shadowhunters, and ran off! Probably to tell Sebastian of their presence but knowing him, he probably already knew. Plus they found the unwanted trade, which wasn't planned. "I hope you all ro-" it cut off abruptly.

Jace gasped, ran to the door and kicked it open. It swung open and hit the wall with a loud crash, making the demon inside let go of Clary. It hissed and pounced, fangs outstretched. Jace ducked, the demon hitting the corridor wall face first. Again, ready to pounce, Isabelle flicked her wrist, her gold whip wrapping round its neck; and with a yank, ripped its head clean off. It bounced a couple times before dissolving to ashes along with the rest of its body. "Clary!" Jace cried, running over to her naked body.

"Jace...?" Clary whispered, rolling over to face him, "is that really you?" Half her face was covered in blood as if she'd been lying in a shallow puddle of it.

He knelt beside her and smelt burning. Her wrists and ankles were bound with demonic cuffs, her flesh sizzling and bleeding underneath them. Using his stele, he quickly burnt off the runes keeping them on her. "What happened? Are you okay? Not too badly hurt?" She didn't respond. "Here." He pulled his shirt off and careful slipped it over her head, "wear this. Bit of protection and privacy for you." She tried smiling but decided against it.

She made an attempt of sitting up but her wrists failed her and she fell back with a thump. Jace kneeled and scooped her up like a baby, cradling her to his chest rather tightly and secure. "It's okay now. You're safe. We're going to portal out of here, okay? To safety." Tears threatened his eyes. Clary was weak and pale.

She nodded in response. "Isabelle!" Magnus' voice echoed around the room, silencing them all. "Isabelle! Cell 13 on the second basement level! HURRY!!!"

Isabelle glanced at Jace and Clary, "see you at the end. Be safe." And then she ran off without another word.

~*~

Once Magnus had arrived he knew approximately where to go thanks to the hairclip Alec hadn't stopped wearing, even after six years. Although he himself wasn't much better, his life still a mess; better than it was though. Chairman was forced to learn to feed himself by taking whatever Magnus had bothered to magic up in the fridge or cupboards, if he was lucky, real cat food would be waiting in his bowl. He lacked behind in work, missed meetings, not eating often enough and even three suicide attempts. To his defence, he claims the first was accidental.

He was at a club, getting rather drunk a couple years ago on a 5th floor balcony. Alone, he had looked over the edge and remembered Alec, then how drunk he was. He knew jumping would result in his death. He couldn't remember a happy world without Alec with him, so what did it matter if he jumped? No family to miss, not exactly many friends and the little nephilim had probably moved on by then.

By this point, he was already sitting on the railing, swaying to his own thoughts, counting up all the pieces of misery. Chairman would get over him in time, he had Church to be with since they were now somehow technically together. A gay cat, who would've thought?

In the end, he decided it would be best to say goodbye first, to those close anyway. He didn't want to hurt the poor Nephilim, though part of him hoped if he had moved on, he would still be missed a little. But Magnus was already falling, quickly gaining speed towards the ground.

But from sheer luck, a group of about ten confused werewolves caught him. He blacked out as he landed in their net of arms, and woke in his bed later the following day wearing a red rubber bracelet. A suicide watch bracelet.

In all truth, he deserved it. That's what you for attempting suicide, even if accidental.

His thoughts were broken as he walked straight into some demon energy filled bars, a jolt of electricity making him shiver because of it. He jumped back and looked at them, "cells." Magnus said aloud. He looked up, trying to find the number of it, "three."

A blue flame grew in his hand, using it as a torch to look inside since the dull glow of witch lights made everything inside shadow; the cells looking like bottomless black pits. Each one seemed to have one single high window that someone of even Magnus' height would have trouble looking out of, even on tip-toes. But he was underground, so what exactly was the point of their existence? Magnus couldn't even begin to guess to strange possibilities.

Going down a flight of stairs, he walked along and saw a shape in the far corner of number thirteen. "Alec?" He brightened the flame, illuminating the entire cell. It was indeed Alec, but something was wrong. "Alec!" He cried and melted the door, dashing in and over to kneel beside him.

The floor was sticky, making his shoes squelch. It looked like blood but Magnus couldn't bring himself to think of something so awful. But the look and smell of it matched like a pair of identical twins; meaning, Alec was far from well and healthy and most likely on his knees begging at Death's doorstep.

He was still. His shirt nowhere to be found, hid trousers had a broken zip and hung loosely on his hips; his feet were bare and raw. His hands terribly burnt, brown and cracked to reveal blood underneath trying to get out. His back was covered in in long red lines, obviously where numerous whippings had taken place. The rest of his body..: bruises, scratches, scrapes, burns and numerous deep cuts were scattered. But that wasn't what scared Magnus most, something else, something vital. He was pale. Pale like a vampire. Thin. Thin enough to see his ribcage and virtually hollow stomach... Which wasn't moving. But being so thin, that could easily be something wrong. Right? To make sure, Magnus listened for breathing and put two fingers on his neck and chest, and waited. And waited. But no beat came.

Alec was dead.

"No...." Magnus whispered, "no!" Tears started to fall down his cheeks like mini waterfalls. "This can't be possible!" He took hold of Alec's shoulder and pulled gently to roll him onto his back.

In the glow of the blue flame his face was expressionless, white as a ghost. His eyes were shut, his lips firmly shut, hair fine as a pin. There was no sign of life to be found in him, and his death was most certainly slow and painful.

Cradling his limp body in his arms, he held him close. Unable to take in the truth. Why him? Magnus' last words to him were "I don't want to talk, Alexander, so go and leave me alone. I said I never wanted to see you or your shadowhunter friends again." Everything being wrong in those words, one giant lie they had both been living. He bumped into him at a demon attack in upper Manhattan three years ago.

Now, six years since the break up, (except of course, the time that Alec has forgot) after hearing his disappearance, he thought that perhaps it was time he apologised and see if the Nephilim would take him back because he obviously still felt the same way three years ago. Magnus would do anything for him, even take his immortality away if he still wanted, or perhaps give him immortality which was more dangerous but it would mean forever with each other. Perhaps a child or two?

But wait... There was one thing to save Alec. He had a sudden flashback to Valentine's ship. Alec had given him some of his energy to stop him from passing out, and now he could give it back. Meaning Alec would live, but Magnus may not depending how much he was left with. Alec deserved a life, a shadowhunter life with someone better than a downworlder like himself. Magnus was 807, he'd lived many times over while Alec was a mere 23 with his birthday in three months. So young, he deserved none of this.

He took a deep breath and entwined their fingers together, beginning to return his life. "Isabelle!" He shouted, "Isabelle! Cell 13 second floor basement, HURRY!!!" He had to let her know, or Alec would die. Again. Then maybe Magnus would live and be unable to save his life again.

It was only a few minutes before the dizziness kicked in. If Alec didn't wake soon then they would- "M-Magnus...?" Alec opened his eyes a fraction, his voice dry and quiet.

"Alec!" Magnus screamed in joy, "listen to me, Alexander." Back to a serious tone. "I am giving all the energy I have to make sure you can live the rest of your life. You must be strong so you do not die twice. Call for Izzy, she's on her way down to come get you. Leave me here." He paused, blinking away his fading vision. "I'm sorry for everything I did, just remember... Don't let go of me okay? And if I die, I want you to know that I still-" but Alec couldn't hear the last two words for they were too quiet for him to hear.

"Still what?" He whispered, lifting his head and seeing Magnus' eyes closed. "Magnus!?" He immediately let go of his hands, refusing to let him die because of him. "Izzy!" He called out for his sister, "Izzy, please hurry!"

"Alec!?" Isabelle shouted back, sounding rather nearby. "I'm coming! Are you okay!? Where's Magnus!?"

Alec didn't reply, both questions hurt too much to answer without having an emotional breakdown. He simply curled round Magnus, his closed wounds reopening, but he didn't care because he missed the feeling of the two of them touching. Magnus just gave up his life for him, at least, that's what would happen if help didn't arrive quickly. There was only Isabelle and Magnus that he knew of, how could she take them both? Right, she couldn't.

He couldn't cry now, he needed all the energy Magnus gave him to help get them both out safely. Isabelle needed extra help when there wasn't any, but now he didn't care if he died on the way out. Wasn't he meant to stay dead anyway? He just wanted to keep Magnus alive. The thing that stuck in his mind though, was all the possibilities of those last two words could be: love, like, despise, and the second word might not have even been you, he could've simply wanted to state a simple fact, like "I still hate Robert," or, "I still like rabbits." "Alec! You alright in there?"

Alec turned himself and Magnus to look at his sister through the bars. "Help..." He looked down at Magnus, "take him, I'll follow."

"But..." Tears welled in her eyes as she walked over and kneeled. "Alec.. I'm sorry but you're more important right now. We can come back for him!"

"You don't understand!" He sat up sharply and winced, "I'll explain back home. Now take him or we'll all die down here because I refuse to go without him."

She grimaced at his words but silently put an arm round Magnus' waist and pulled him up. "Be safe, big brother... Don't make Jace and I lose another one." Then she left, half dragging, half carrying Magnus with her.

~*~

"Is there anyone home?" Clary asked, sitting on a stool while Jace drew a portal, "or are you coming with me?"

"I'm coming." He finished and stood back, "to the institute. It's not safe in Idris and I don't trust what Sebastian has planned, come on," he turned round to find her gone. "Clary?"

"Jace!" She shouted from the corridor, "I don't have a weapon!"

Jace dashed out, spying a demon carrying her over her shoulder, one of their tails extended, "Clary look-" its tail struck her in the back, her body falling limp. "Out..." He pulled out his seraph blade and shouted "Ithuriel!" The blade bursting with light and practically screamed death to all demons.

Walking closer to the stairs it disappeared up, suddenly numerous demons jumped out, blocking Jace's path. With a screech, three darted straight for him, claws outstretched. With a yell Jace ran forward and stabbed the first one right through the heart, quickly moving to the next. Leaping off the wall and slicing their heads in two, demon ichor flying everywhere and all over Jace's bare chest, but he ignored it and threw one of his many daggers at another oncoming demon, slicing its foot clean off. It tripped, Jace taking the opportunity to kill that one too in a flash.

Thirteen or so demons later, he could finally run up the spiral staircase. This was most likely the tower at the back of the base which you could see from quite a distance if you tore off the extreme glamor. Jace knew that Sebastian was waiting for him, using Clary to bring him there. He probably planned for the demons to wait while Jace had his back turned since everyone knew he would follow her anywhere. Even to death if the possibility was ever forced upon them both, knowing Clary would do the same no matter how much he would protest.

The door at the top was in shreds, Sebastian behind it, shouting at the demon who took Clary in their language, however the girl was nowhere to be seen from his angle. Stepping through the gap, he drew a silence rune on his arm and stepped inside. Getting behind Sebastian, he lifted the blade and jabbed him in the spine, targeting his heart from behind.

But that was too easy. Way too easy. His body fell forward and rolled onto his back to reveal a plain face. No eyes, mouth, nose, nothing. A plain face of pale skin. As for the demon, it had disappeared, seemingly vanished into thin air. "You really thought I would be that easy to kill?" Sebastian asked from behind," a simple knife to the back like you did seven years ago?" He scoffed. "Amusing."

Jace spun, but only the door-still in shreds- was there. "I assume you came to kill me, then be the hero and somehow save Clary from wherever I have put her?" Now from above, "that's adorable, little brother."

"Show yourself bastard!" Jace shouted.

"You used to love hide and seek. Been playing since you met my sister, don't tell me your old habits die hard? Shame." To the right, but still nothing. "How much more stupid could you get? How have you survived this long? You Herondales are so wreckless. Just look left, smart ass."

There he was. Leaning on a piece of machinery. One hand holding a very long blade, the other on a lever, quite threateningly too. "Found me. Don't you feel proud? Anyway, down to business, little brother. See this lever?" He motioned his head to his hand," this, will send this entire base up in flames and this tower will crumble beneath our feet. Unless of course," he grinned, "you surrender? Only your word will make me, screw your Inquisitor and the Clave. Am I right?"

"That is correct, but what makes you think you're any better? You know fully well I'd rather go down with a fight."

"Think about it, little brother, I, am far more powerful than your puny race. With my demon blood and my copy of the mortal cup that you happily gave to me, remember? I have the power of demon and shadowhunter, along with some dark magic that I just might've used on Alec a few times." Silence. "Okay, a lot. But he's dead now, surely you noticed your own parabatai dead? Felt a shiver? A slight cut across your chest as the bond broke? No? Too busy doing... What exactly?"

"That, would be obvious. Tracking you down and practising for this stupid battle."

"Funny. You find this battle stupid? No surprise there, really, no? Pretty sure if Clary was ready, you'd be doing something... Different, with my sister?"

"What are you talking about?"

Sebastian rolled his eyes. "Look up." He pressed a switch that opened the ceiling above, revealing an unconscious Clary lying on a chain metal net.

"Let me explain, I know you, Jonathan. You won't advance on me." Jace scoffed. "My initial plan was to use her as trade for making sure I had full forces of the Fey on my side. But, earlier today I went to take her but the Queen had decided down on it. All that planning... All that magic to get into the institute and out in a flash... Wasted!" He kicked a random cardboard box across the room to express his anger, "but not to worry too much. I preferred plan B; or, as I call it, FCKC."

"So C for Clary, K for kill and F?"

"What do you think? Come on, you were a lot smarter last time I saw you, little brother. Last time we had a proper chat anyway, but still. Surely it's obvious?"

Jace paused for a moment and really considered what he meant. He found Clary wearing nothing, her clothes in rags and she was lying in a pool of her own blood.... He gasped and glared at Sebastian as he chuckled. "No wonder she doesn't love you."

"Course she doesn't, that was purely an act. You fell for it pretty well." Jace held his blade in two hands, tightening his grip. "I see your impatience. But good luck getting to me before I burn her to death with a press of this button."

Jace charged and missed Sebastian completely, puncturing a pipe that began releasing hot air into the small confined room.

The fight was on.

With a growl, Sebastian grabbed the back of Jace's head and slammed it against the pipe, burning his face. Jace gave him a hard kick to the ribs and slipped from his grip as it loosened slightly and tried to get a hit with his blade in but Sebastian was too quick and stopped it halfway.

The steam made it hard to see or breathe rather quickly, Jace's brow gleaming with sweat while Sebastian seemed fine thanks to being half demon who lived in the depths of Hell itself. But both fighting just as strong, when the floor suddenly shook beneath their feet. "Bad idea, Jonathan! You stopped her death but now I won't go so easy as I kill you!"

"You did not just pull that lever, Sebastian!" He darted for him again and almost cut his blade hand clean off but missed as Sebastian whirled round.

Jace cursed and darted back into the steam, knowing his silence rune was still working and could use this to his advantage to creep up behind him. He just needed a plan and fast. "Jonathan!" Sebastian cooed, "where are you little brother? Enough hiding, come out and fight like a good boy."

Sneaking up behind, he lifted his blade, "oh grow up!" He cried and brought it down and cut a deep gash in Sebastian's strong arm.

Within a heartbeat, Sebastian had whirled round and stabbed Jace in the hip, right through. Jace gasped, and felt his grip weaken, noticing something strange. He avoided every major artery, so if he got out quick, he just might live. "Nice try." Sebastian spat as he twisted the blade inside him.

They both heard a rattle and saw a flash of orange. Before anything could be done, Jace threw his weapon in the air above him. "De ja vu, big brother. Except this time." He took a shaky breath, "you won't be coming back!" Sebastian looked confused and pulled his blade out, looking back up.

"What do you- AAARRR-" Sebastian cut off abruptly as Clary landed on his shoulders and used Jace's blade to cut his head clean off.

"Jace!" She cried, not caring about Sebastian's head currently rolling round the now shaking room. "Oh my Raziel, Jace, are you okay?"

"I got stabbed in the hip." He groaned and almost collapsed if it weren't for Clary who caught him with a loud cry of pain. "Go without me. This place will collapse beneath our feet and I'm done for."

"Yeah, like that will ever happen. I'd carry you if I could but please, for me. Just stand up and lets get out of here. Or we'll burn to death if what you say doesn't happen first!"

She hooked an arm round his waist and put his round her shoulders. Reluctantly, he stood with shaking legs. But before they could take a step, the floor began to crumble beneath them. "Clary!" Jace shouted over the noise and pulled her on top of him as they fell.

He wrapped his arms tightly round her tiny waist as she did the same back, holding each other, preparing for death. Falling three floors, Jace had his eyes open as he saw everything crumble above them, the sight horrific but it only lasted a few seconds as he threw Clary off him just before he landed, flat on his back as he curled up and practically embraced the rocks that crushed him.

Clary rolled across the floor in the main hallway and slowly came to a stop. Looking around she noticed everything slowly starting to burn, from the curtains to the chandeliers, somehow, everything was alight. "Jace..." She murmured and looked back at the stairwell where a large pile of rocks now sat. "Jace!" She scrambled up and ran over and began shoving them out the way.

A little voice in her head told her to give up, he was dead, just like Alec, but that wasn't possible. Jace never died, and if he did, he'd find a way to come back. But the expression on his face said different. He was alive and breathing, just about. His eyes were closed and his arm twisted at a strange angle, a small rock digging into his stab wound, probably infecting it as Clary stared in horror.

Without another thought, Clary had a sudden burst of adrenaline in her arms and legs. She picked Jace up in a breeze, his head and arm tipping from the gravity. She ran, ran like the wind-literally- towards the open door and over a giant hole in the floor. She thought she could see a flash of black through the hole, inbetween the flames and under the rocks; but her mind was too set on getting them both out. Alive.

The doors already open, she dashed out and took a deep breath of air, which turned into a cough thanks to all the fumes. Her vision was blurred as she recollected her senses. Distantly, a voice called her name and some other jumbled works she couldn't fathom. Jace was becoming heavy so she had to almost drop him onto the ground to relieve herself.

Moments later, everything became clear and she almost screamed in shock; her mouth wide open but no sound coming out. Through a gap in the trees, shadowhunters were back to back with downworlders, fighting off demons of numerous shapes and sizes. She wondered how the demons were fighting in daylight, but her mind soon drifted to Izzy sat on the ground. "Izzy?" She glanced down at Magnus who's head was in her lap, "Magnus?" Then to Jace, "Jace..." She sat down.

Izzy was clearly crying though Clary seemed to have not noticed. "Clary..." She looked up, "did you see Alec? My brother, where is he?"

Clary shook her head. "I'm sorry Izzy... I didn't. There's a reason too.."

"He's not dead!"

"Yes, he is. Sebastian wouldn't stop shouting it while he.. He.."

"No. Magnus was down there, when I arrived Alec was alive and Magnus unconscious! He made me bring him up and he would follow... I need to go back for him!"

"The place is falling apart, burning and crumbling as we speak."

"No! Alec is alive! I'll go, you watch the guys. Keep Jace as well as possible. I can't bear losing another brother, and perhaps both if I don't hurry up!"

"There's no need." Said an unfamiliar British voice.

The girls turned their heads and saw an extremely tall warlock with red hair as bright as rubies, in an emo haircut like Alec's was when he couldn't be bothered to go to a barber's. The girls had never seen him before in their lives. "Give this to your friend, it will help keep him alive. Magnus will be fine." He looked down at the warlock and looked rather proud. "I'll get your brother." Without another word, he handed a blue vile of liquid to Clary and walked into the burning building.

~*~

"Maryse!" Luke howled, shoving demons out of his path, "Maryse!"

"I'm busy, Lucian!" She threw a dagger at an eidolon, jumping to the left to dodge another demon's attack.

"The Fay have retreated and the demons are not returning! And there are many casualties."

"Save the dead for later. How many demons left?" Luke pounced on one to aid a warlock, "because I'd like the casualties from this point to be 0!"

"Couple hundred. And you won't like who's dead. I especially don't." Luke whimpered and ran off to aid some young shadowhunters on death's doorstep.

Luke was right, it only took a matter of minutes to finish off the last couple hundred demons, the Fey only a pale speck in the distance, hopefully to never be seen again. Maryse was exhausted, panting, and injured. She probably dislocated something but suddenly became interested in her surroundings. Hundreds had survived but hundreds had died. Luke was human again, wearing only torn shorts and was sat beside three bodies.

She decided to leave him and whoever had died in peace, going in search of her husband. Robert and Maryse had fought lots recently, were planning on a divorce but were interrupted by the battle. Only now, did she realise, that she still loved him deep down and wanted to make sure he was okay. "Robert!" She called out, wandering to where he was posted at the start, "Robert!" She hoped he was merely unconscious or being unresponsive for casualty reasons.

But then there he was. Lying in a ditch in the trees, one arm bent backwards and a large wound in his lower back. The blood was already almost dry, a burnt crimson colour; he must've died a while ago for this to have happened. The battle had been short, a mere five hours, the sun setting over the trees creating a scene of what should be happiness.

Robert, was dead. Maryse knelt down beside him and stroked his cheek. Tears ran lightly down her cheeks, not as upset as she had quiet expected to be, which lightened the blow to heart a little. She had no idea where Isabelle was, or whether Alec was alright, she could well be truly alone. Husband and children gone, all thanks to one boy who had better be dead or the issue would now become personal for her, and her alone.

"I'm sorry for your loss..." Said a random warlock from behind, she thanked him. "I know your feeling all too well, but at least you have your children." She faked a smile, because he clearly had no idea but a calming thought nonetheless.

"Maryse," Luke came up behind, his voice sounding choked. "We have to return to Alicante. We can say goodbye to our wives... And husbands later. Maybe we'll see the children... As Jocelyn would say."

"Is,.. Jocelyn okay?" She turned and looked up at him, pity in her eyes, "your clan? Group? Whatchamacallits?"

"Three dead.. I haven't found Jocelyn yet, but three of mine gone.."

"I'm sorry to hear, who were they?"

"Sam, Maia, and Jordan. They were the best of friends. Well, Maia and Jordan were a bit more but he does protecting her, she died protecting Sam and Sam was unfairly outnumbered. They were all honourable deaths.." Silence fell over them as they mourned. "I'll see you at Alicante, I have to find my wife."

"Goodbye.." Luke left and Maryse turned back to Robert. "Ave atque vale... Look after Max for us." Then she stood up, and left.

~*~

Alec could claim he was blind and could get approval of it. He had managed to drag himself up the stairs in the basement but still had this floor and upstairs to go until he reached freedom. But everything was dark and eery, next thing he knows, his cell explodes and he's thrown against the wall from the blast. Everything was now on fire, all the cells blown to bits, but since he was underground, escape was impossible and the windows turned out to show nothing but a lamp that changed colour and brightness en suit with the sun and moon. If Alec had still been in that cell-alive- then he would certainly be dead now.

His arm broke from the impact, but it seemed a lot less painful than it should have been, Sebastian had shown him what true pain was, this seemed like a pin prick. Magnus' energy was slowly running out and Alec still had far to go yet, but he wouldn't give up for his sake and Izzy's. Little did he know that if he did die, Izzy could very well lose both her brothers since Jace had been stabbed through the hip.

It occurred to him that he had no idea or had any sense of time. Had it been days? Weeks? How long was he dead? That was the more important question, and who knew? He hadn't told Izzy anything, he probably never would. It was just him, Sebastian and demons in the wretched castle- as far as he knew. Clary had been in a similar state, nearing death but not the cowardice to kill herself.

That's what he was, Alec thought, a coward. A coward who couldn't keep enough hope in his heart to stay alive. Clearly, he was selfish and didn't care that his family would miss him if he died, that Izzy would have no biological brothers, she'd be an only child for the rest of her life. There was already no one left to carry on the Lightwood name, and Alec didn't want it anyway. But he still felt rather hurt that he had no last name, he belonged to no one. He had no purpose to exist, a waste of space, he would probably die in battle anyway, so why not speed up the process?

Alec walked into a wall. That, Alec thought, that's how I'll speed the process up, brain damage. It wasn't smart. A loud rumble shook the ground and a large hole appeared behind Alec's feet, the stone falling away, forcing him to jump out of its path to avoid falling down with it. It was a long feat and he tripped over a small rock but he managed to escape. "Stairs.." He murmured to himself, seeing them just ahead, engulfed in flames but there nonetheless.

He started to run, not wasting any time, looking up, through the flames he thought he saw Clary carrying someone almost twice her size. He managed to convince himself that was a stupid idea, what would Clary being doing here? And the only body she could possibly carry was Sebastian's, and in no way ever would she ever do that. Really, why?

Suddenly Alec stopped, having an epiphany. If the roof in front of him just fell, and he just got over it, only just. Then that must mean- crash!

Alec thought too long. He looked up and saw the cracks in the ceiling. Lifted one foot, tried to run but got crushed under the rocks. They came down with a roar like thunder and buried his entire body. One hand stood out to the side but he couldn't move it, all feeling in his body was gone, nothing hurt, it was as if he had died again. Maybe he had, everything was black and he could only hear white noise, the cracking of the fire surrounding him and the pitter patter of... Footsteps?

They were coming from above, but from far away, slowly coming closer. Alec had lost hope again, thinking it was time to die. Time to leave this planet, leave the pain behind and go live with his brother up above in eternal happiness where nothing could go wrong. Up there he would be safe, not crushed by rocks, whimpering as his life slowly slipped away from every bone in his body, his brain being the only survivor.

A large pressure landed on his chest all of a sudden and Alec screamed in agony, life returning to his veins for a brief moment. Rocks and pebbles were moved off of his face and he shut his eyes tighter. He was dreaming, he was dead already, this was an angel coming to help him leave his body as a spirit.

Since when did Alec believe in that anyway? He truly was going mad. No, he opened his left eye a fraction to see a shadowed figure bending over him, shoving the boulders off his body to free him. "Can you walk?" Asked a British accent, it sounded faint from all the background noise. Alec wheezed. "You're going to live, so don't give up hope again."

Slowly and painfully, his body was freed the gravel mess and was picked up like a bride being carried by her newly wed, pulled close to the warlock's chest and held with a tight grip. The warlock jumped up and landed safely on the ground floor, just about avoiding a small flame that had just started growing. Alec could feel the outside breeze on his cheek, he turned his head and could see outside.

Outside, Alec thought, it seems like a dream. The purple and pink in the sky were clear, he kept focused on the ground though, hoping to see familiar feet when he got outside since he had no energy to look up. His eyes felt heavy, but he refused to go until he got outside, staying alive on pure will power alone. "I have him!" The mystery man called out to whoever was outside.

He passed through the doors and Alec dropped all his strength and weight into this man's arms, weak but glad he made it. A voice was shouting in hysterics but it was all a jumble mumble of jibberish to Alec. His vision became fuzzy, slowly blacking out from the corner of his vision. The last thing he saw, was Magnus' still figure on the grass. Then, Alec managed to say one word, not audible to even himself.

"Magnus...."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quick note: BOOM! Don't kill me ;) or no final chapter for you.

Next chapter was meant to be the epilogue but I've decided to make it far longer than that, perhaps almost this long again! The epilogue will be the Malec chapter you're all DESPERATE to have.

P.S that Malec chapter is pre-written already ;)