Mate of Honor Ch. 4

Thanks so much for all the comments and voting! Enjoy this new chapter!

           Roxie followed a few steps behind Rosie and Ethan watching them with envy. Ethan had his arm thrown around Rosie’s shoulder and her arm was around his waist. They were a perfect fit, made for each other at Ethan had said. They’d known each other days and they were already madly in love. You’d think they’d been dating for years, that they were at least high school sweet hearts at their age. But no, they had met two weeks ago and were engaged and mates. Mates, a word Roxie figured was only used in Australia was now something that her sister called her fiancé and he called her.

            It was hard to imagine ‘fate’ creating her sister and Ethan for each other. What made her confused was the fact that Rosie and Roxie were a boxed set, twins. Did fate just pick Rosie over Roxie by chance or was there meaning to that? Maybe Roxie was to hopelessly horrid to deserve love like Rosie and Ethan’s. The thought did nothing to help Roxie’s self esteem. In fact it did a horrid little nose dive that made Roxie stomach flip. Suddenly two months seemed like an eternity. She’d have to go home for a few weeks or something before the wedding just to get away from the reminder that love wasn’t coming to her anytime soon.

            Ethan stopped and let go of Rosie gripping some new guy blocked from Roxie’s view in a guy version of a hug. Roxie could see this man was the same age as Ethan but a few inches shorter a better match for Roxie’s height. Where did that thought come from? Only able to see the top of his head she made out his brown hair and tan skin. An urge to see his whole face, whole body, came over her. Roxie shook her head confused by the new feelings.

            Hunter nodded to Ethan as he spoke trying to look around him but found Ethan continuously blocking his view. “Ethan if you don’t move out of my way I just may rip your head off cousin.”

            The look Ethan gave him was a mix of surprise and anger. “Hunter what did I tell you about the maid of honor. Stay away.”

            “You’re going to make me stay away from my mate?” Hunter asked with a coy smile.

            It took a moment for that to sink into Ethan’s brain. Rosie got it a little quicker squealing and turning back to Roxie with a grin on her face but not getting in the way of Hunter as Ethan stepped aside, his grin almost as wide as Rosie’s. She looked to him and reached out her hand taking his in hers and pulling him over to her after Hunter passed between them.

            “Life is perfect now.” She whispered standing on tip toe to kiss him.

            Hunter’s gaze locked on Roxie and his wolf howled within him. She was his mate. He’d never love anyone else, never want anyone else, never look at anyone else the way he would her. She was his one and only, his forever. Hunter never wanted nothing more than his mate.

            Roxie watched Hunter’s perfect face as his blue eyes filled with a mix of adoration, love, and lust. They turned slightly silver for a moment before going to that mystifying blue again. Her heart skipped a beat and she knew all he had to do was ask and her heart would be forever his. Tingling in her fingers made her clasp her hands together behind her back as her hands wanted to touch him, hold him, be in his arms.

            She shook her head hard trying to look anywhere but him. This was not how she normally felt with guys. Sure Roxie wasn’t fully inexperienced but she had never felt like the ‘love at first sight’ feeling. It was unusual and slightly unnatural to her making her immediately fear it. Roxie did not get connected to others that meant no relationships. Relationships distracted from work and school. A tiny voice in the back of her head whispered words of doubt reminding her of her envy of Rosie and Ethan moments ago.