Mate of Honor ch. 21

Hunter slammed on the breaks and Roxie yelped as she was wrenched forward, the seatbelt bruising her torso with the force of the stop. “Damn inertia…” Roxie muttered, “What’s wrong? What happened?”

            The Beta didn’t answer at first, his eyes staring gravely ahead. A car blared its horn as it swerved around their stopped vehicle, the driver waving his fist out the window. Roxie winced, and glanced away to check on Ella. The seatbelt had kept the sleeping girl from being thrown to the floor but she wasn’t awake yet.

            “Hunter,” Roxie asked again, reaching up to cup the back of his neck with her hand and rub her thumb along the tense muscles there. To her surprise he didn’t react at all, his form staying tense instead of relaxing. Worry started to ebb at her until Hunter finally let out a low growl. Surprised she wrenched her hand back only to have his own hand shoot out with blinding speed to catch it before she could fully pull back.

            His face turned from angry to guilty in a heartbeat, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.” His grip was soft, not squeezing to tightly as he absent mindedly caressed her palm. “Something’s happened at home.”

            They were mere minutes away from the house and Hunter wasn’t sure whether returning was a good idea. Dropping Roxie’s hand after a quick squeeze he made a u-turn heading for his own home instead. His mate was silent for a moment before asking where they were going.

            “To my house, I want to know your safe before I confront Ethan when he’s this angry.”

            Worry etched over her features, “Rosie…”

            “I have no idea, it’s just a feeling, a change in the air and the atmosphere… It happens when there is danger, or when a leading wolf is particularly angry.”

            “How angry?”

            “Angry enough to hurt pack members,” The car accelerated taking them back to Hunter’s home. Hunter was out immediately, opening Roxie’s door before she even reached for the handle and already picking up Ella as she got out. “Lock the door when I leave, don’t leave the house, and don’t let anyone but me in.”

            “What about pack members?” Roxie questioned watching Hunter set Ella down on the couch. Hunter turned to her as the unconscious girl shifted on the couch and wrapped his arms around his mate’s waste.

            Resting his forehead on hers he sighed, “Jonah, Miranda, and my parents yes… and Jenny, but other than that you don’t really know the pack members now do you?”

            Roxie shifted her weight to one leg, putting her hand on her hip, “I know all the high ranking wolves.”

            “Yes, but any other person knocking at the door could say they’re one of us and really be… one of them.”

            She didn’t need to ask to know what he meant when the words dripped with poison as he spoke them. “As if they  are going to know to introduce themselves as giant dogs,” the brunette joked running her free hand up his chest to grip his shirt collar pulling him down to kiss her. “But I’ll be careful,” Roxie whispered when they broke away from the sweet embrace.

            Hunter laughed as he swooped in to kiss her one last time before leaving, “You know what,” He called back pedaling out of the room.

            “What?”

            “I like this new you, just make sure to keep by stubborn spitfire around okay?”