Mate of Honor chapter 9

short but imporant, enjoy!

“Wipe that smirk off your face,” Roxie muttered refusing to look at Hunter, her face still red.

            “I’m not smirking, that is a negative connotation to my feelings. I’d say it’s more of a grin.” He winked at her and she scoffed.

            “Well enjoy the feeling while it lasts because it’s not happening again.” Roxie couldn’t believe she’d actually kissed him back. She should have immediately pushed him away. She could have at least been smart enough not to tell him to kiss her. He was clever, she had to give him that, but he wouldn’t pull that trick on her again.

            “I highly doubt that,” Hunter replied turning the car into town. “So Ella Allen…”

            Oh please no, Roxie thought.

            “What about Ella? She’s an old friend.”

            Hunter glanced at Roxie with a disbelieving look. “There’s more to the story that you aren’t telling me.”

            “It’s in the past Hunter, it doesn’t matter.” Roxie assured him. There was no easy way to tell him or anyone. There especially wasn’t a way to tell anyone without causing a stir. The past belonged in the past. The last thing Roxie or Ella wanted was to bring up that part of the past. “Just leave it alone.”

            “Does Rosie know?”

            “No,” Roxie muttered knowing he’d ask Rosie if she lied and said yes.

            “Don’t you two tell each other everything? It must be a really big secret if you never told Rosie.” Hunter could see he was getting somewhere.

            “I didn’t need her to worry. None of it concerned her.” Roxie grit her teeth restraining herself from reaching over and choking him, or kissing him, anything to make him stop asking questions.

            Hunter stopped the car in front of the Armoon house and turned off the engine. “Roxie can’t you trust me to tell me?”

            “Hey you two!” Rosie’s yell broke Roxie from her train of thought. Rosie appeared at Roxie’s window looking in with mischievous eyes. “How was Soul Wing?”

            Hunter looked at Roxie who squirmed under the double gazes. He was waiting to see if her previous objections were now changed. “It was magnificent. You’d love the place Rosie.”

            “Oh really,” Rosie melted at the idea of someplace her sister actually liked. So far none of the venues Ethan and her had visited had clicked right. “We’ll have to go there in a few days. Are you two going to sit out here all day long?”

            Roxie sighed as Rosie raced off skipping from one thought to another fast enough to give most people whiplash. “She’s going to give me a migraine with all that energy.”

            “You’re going to let here meet Ella then?”

            Roxie glared at Hunter. He was too persistent, and stubborn at that. How could she keep her secrets safe when all she wanted to do was tell him when he asked? Roxie got out of the car slamming the door behind her and started towards the house.

            “Well are you?” Hunter asked again coming up behind Roxie as she walked away.

            “Of course, Ella understands I don’t want anyone knowing about the past and she feels the same.” Roxie explained becoming gradually more upset as she thought about blatantly lying to her sister.