Chapter 1

DESPITE THE NEWFOUND LIGHT, the darkness circled around her, waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

Sierra pushed open the heavy doors to The Gain, determined on getting a trainer to keep her mind busy. She trudged to the front desk, where a woman sat chewing gum and flipping through magazine pages.

"New membership?" She asked Sierra.

Sierra nodded as she placed her small brown purse on the counter after securing her gym bag behind her. Rummaging through her purse, she took out her wallet, knowing she would have to start the membership with a hefty amount before only doing the ten dollars a month. Although the trainer would raise that price up to forty. She didn't mind. The woman typed away at the computer.

"Name."

"Sierra Jenkins."

More typing followed. Sierra distracted herself by looking around at the gym. There was a clear door and many windows that divided a class from the front desk and waiting area. People jogged on the treadmills, breathing out heavily. She wanted to be one of them, but she knew it wouldn't be enough to distract her.

She had gone to a gym to take classes once right after graduating high school and moving to Lockfell, but it lacked the distraction she yearned. The rigor was there to an extent, but what drove her away was the harsh breathing and the smell of everyone's sweat lingering together. It was terrible to say the least.

Since then, she busied herself by working out at her apartment, occasionally attempting yoga too. She found YouTube videos helpful, some were exhausting and gave her what she needed. However, she needed someone there to correct her mistakes. After getting a muscle spasm from a simple exercise, she made up her mind about going back to the gym and finding herself a personal trainer.

Her search wasn't easy. She looked up different gyms online hoping to see what she wanted, but to no avail. Most didn't offer a trainer. Most of the time, they were only classes, and she knew she wouldn't be able to handle that again.

Right as the Christmas holidays were approaching, she found the humble gym in the middle of Stone Ln, fifteen minutes from her job on foot, which offered personal trainers at a fair price. Personal trainers were expensive, but they were affordable enough. Fortunately for her, it seemed like the gym had yet to be recognized like many popular and demanding gyms.

She always struggled financially, but if it would help her, then every penny would be worth it.

"We have other programs if you're interested," the woman spoke.

"Uh, yes, do you have any personal trainers available?"

The woman raised a sculpted eyebrow and typed away. She pursed her lips as if she wasn't going to give her good news.

"Sorry, hon, but the only trainer available is the absolute worst."

Sierra frowned. "What do you mean he's the worst?"

"He drives everyone away," she started. "He's crazy scary. I think I've only heard him speak twice outside of the gym. Inside, he's like a wild beast."

Sierra stood there stumped. "But...is it his attitude?"

"Baby, no one can take his training. He's too much. Trust me."

Another woman came out from the back door, holding a drink to the woman telling Sierra the bad things of the beast-like trainer.

"Who's too much?" The other woman asked.

"Kyle."

"Oh, sweetie, don't even try it," the other woman turned to Sierra, "no one can stand him. He's ruthless."