Chapter 21

SIERRA'S CHEEKS HURT SO much after smiling largely at her friends' messages. They wished her a happy birthday and promised her to take her out on the weekend to celebrate. They couldn't do anything that day because of their conflicting schedules at work, but she wasn't mad at that. In fact, she grew excited and made sure she didn't have anything planned that weekend so she could go pretend to be normal.

Scarlet wrote her a humongous text message, to the point where she had to click on it to view as if it were a document. She teared up, laughed, and got embarrassed in the span of ten minutes. Even though her best friend was hard as nails, she was loving at heart and cared about her unlike anyone else. They had gone through so much together. They got in trouble too many times to count, went on silly adventures, and helped each other fight their demons. And for her twenty-first birthday, Scarlet managed to write the most heartfelt message remembering all their highs and lows, and how they kept going despite everything against them.

Sierra called her immediately, sobbing.

Then they stayed crying on the phone for over an hour reminiscing on how much fun they used to have back in their early years.

Now she sat on her couch, curled up with a blanket as she worked on an assignment she had due the following day. The television was on, playing a series on Netflix. She had gotten used to watching Black Mirror every time she had to do any written assignment. Since Kyle had insisted on her using his account, she took advantage of it, and she even incorporated it into her routine as much as she could.

She finished with her assignment as a knock on the door caught her attention. She frowned looking down at her phone. When there wasn't a single notification on her screen, she wondered who could be at the other side.

Usually when her friends made a surprise visit, they knocked after sending her a message to let her know it wasn't some creep. Her heart dropped as she took hold of her water bottle as a weapon. It might not do much, but the element of surprise was on her side.

She crept to her door and peeked through the peep-hole. When she saw her parents awkwardly standing on the other side, she frowned even more.

They remembered my birthday?

She lowered her water bottle and received them.

"Mom? Dad?" She stood in their way wanting to hear them first before inviting them inside her home. "What are you guys doing here?"

They had the audacity to smile. They showed her a couple of gift bags filled with decorative paper that popped out.

She raised a brow.

"Happy birthday, Sierra," her father finally said. He pushed forward the gift in his hand to her, and she tentatively took it.

"Thanks," she said and stepped back. "Come in. I was just finishing homework."

They stepped into her apartment, looking so out of place. Her mother studied the space. Sierra grimaced at her mother's scrutinizing stare. Despite the dingy apartment, she tried her best to make them feel welcome.

As welcome as absent parents can be.

"Did you have a cupcake to celebrate?" Her father asked. His voice was kind and nostalgic. Sierra smiled and took out a small tray of cupcakes from her refrigerator. She had saved up to get it.

"I haven't had one for my birthday in years," she told them. "Figured I'd revive the tradition on my own."

"Hm," her mother said.

Sierra tried hard not to think too much into it. Her mother probably had other things in mind. She opened the cupcake tray for her father. He picked one with a soft smile.