Chapter 13

Chapter 13: Sed amore et transformatione

“How much longer until we get off this stupid train?!”

“James, for goodness sake, calm down. We will be arriving at Kings Cross in about an hour or so.”

James did calm down for a few moments before he effervesced up once more.

“Sirius, what do you say to a little magical fun while we still can use magic?”

Sirius nodded his head in a sly manner and winked as though he could already tell what James was thinking.

Peter looked up in excitement and even Remus stopped what he was doing for a moment to look at James.

Hermione, on the other hand, had an expression of extreme alarm and stood up as if to physically bar them from moving outside the train compartment.

“What? What are you going to do now?”

“Come on boys, follow me,” said James as he ushered his companions, past Hermione, out of the compartment door and down the narrow passageway that ran the length of the carriage.

Hermione sat back down in her seat, biting her lower lip in nervousness and frustration.

As she leaned back on the seat she decided that if the boys wanted to get into trouble, on their own heads be it. She was not there to police them.

No sooner than she had thought that she heard a bang come from the other end of the carriage. This was followed by several screams; however none were more prominent than the ferocious one that came from Lily Evans.

“JAMES POTTER!!”

Hermione whipped her head around the door of the compartment and peered out into the corridor which was now filling up with people. She saw Sirius with a massive grin plastered across his face while several students (including Peter) were either on the floor laughing or clutching one another for support as they fought for air. In contrast, Remus was holding his head in his hands, occasionally peering through his fingers to see how or if James was going to handle this situation.

“YOU TRANSFIGURE HIM BACK THIS INSTANT!!”

“I don’t know Lils, I think he looks better as a leech. He always seems to suck the life out of a room anyway, I thought this might help him with his work.”

“Don’t you dare call me ‘Lils’. My name is Lily.”

“Sure thing Lily Petal. Anything you say.”

James dismissed Lily’s cry of protest, waved his wand and muttered an incantation. With a puff of smoke, Severus Snape was standing before him.

“Uh-oh,” said James when he saw a fully grown Severus, but with a slimy grey skin covering.

He repeated the spell.

Nothing.

If Severus had his normal skin tone, his face would have been glowing like the setting sun with a mixture of embarrassment and deep hatred.

James looked over at Lily. Her face reminded him of the front of the Hogwarts Express they were on: bright red and about to explode with the steam that was building up within.

She tossed her hair around and in one fluid movement, grabbed the arm of Severus to lead him to the front of the train where Madam Pomfrey could return him back to normal.

James laughed as he turned to go back, but he was stopped by a furious looking Hermione. Her hair crackled with the electricity of her anger as she pointed her arm straight out, directing the boys back to their compartment.