chapter 34

Chapter 34: Delere

Hermione had just finished attaching the scroll of parchment to the school’s owl when she heard a shuffle of footsteps behind her.

She turned to find Estrella stamping the snow from her boots. The stone stairs here were very slippery and could turn deadly without a moment’s notice.

“Snow’s come early this year,” she grinned at Hermione, “It’s barely winter and there’s plenty out there for a decent snowball fight.”

“I kind of like it. It brings the promise of a white Christmas. I love white Christmas’. They remind me of my childhood,” said Hermione, careful not to mention that it was not the magical childhood she had experienced, but rather the muggle one that she also remembered.

“Yeah,” conceded Estrella, “who are you sending the letter off to then?”

“My parents,” replied Hermione, “I’m just letting them know that I’ll be spending Christmas here this year instead of at home.”

“Are you really?” questioned Estrella with slight disbelief, “Why are you doing that? Christmas at your place is the best, your folks are cool with just about anything!”

“Yeah, I guess,” said Hermione slowly, “but this year is OWLs year and I would love to use the extra time to study.”

“Suit yourself,” said Estrella as she scanned the room for an owl to deliver her own mail. She attached the letter in silence and waved a goodbye to Hermione as she left the Owlery.

Despite the extreme cold, Hermione hung around on her own, petting some of the more friendly owls. She contemplated the answers she had given to her friend about the reason she was staying at Hogwarts over the Christmas break. Of course, Hermione did have some study in mind, but it had very little to do with her OWL examinations.

What she would really be doing is helping Dumbledore find and destroy horcruxs. It was the perfect time as many of the teachers and students would not be around to interfere.

Lord Voldemort was getting stronger and stronger by the minute. People were disappearing every other day, and every so often a student would be taken out of class to find out that a family member had disappeared, or been found with traces of dark magic tainting their tortured body.

These students often did not return back to school. Some did, but it was clear that something had really changed within them.

It was at times like this that Hermione felt blessed that she was considered of pure blood. Even if the family did not believe in the dark arts, their ‘status’ kept them safe and alive.

Hermione counted herself lucky that it was Sirius and James that had found her. It was not until a couple of years after she had turned up at Potter Manor that the full story of her arrival was explained to her.

James and Sirius had spent the afternoon in a nearby field outside of the Estate, and were just about to leave when they spotted the body of a young girl in the bushes. She looked to be about their age, only she had a wand.

James supposed that it was a girl who had stolen a parent’s wand and done accidental magic that led to her being hurt. Sirius, who had been brought up in the Black household, with all their prejudices, thought otherwise. He knew the unmistakable signs of dark magic when he saw them thanks to his ‘delightful’ cousin Bellatrix.

He knew that they had to get her out of here fast, and get some help, otherwise she might not have made it.

Hermione had never forgotten this fact, and was eternally grateful to Sirius, because by acting quickly he had saved her life.