Chapter 37

Chapter 37: Iratus

Sirius let Hermione cool off for a few days before he tried to even speak to her again. In fact, almost everyone that had seen or heard about what happened by the Black Lake had kept a safe distance.

James was particularly furious at Hermione. Anytime that she was in the room, he would leave it muttering curses under his breath. The only exception was when they happened to be in the same class, and for obvious reasons, he could not leave.

Word of what had happened had apparently reached their parents, because Ma had expressed great concern in her letters and repeated what she had said many years ago, before Hermione had even started at Hogwarts.

‘We could always make some other kind of arrangement. I don’t want you to feel pressured.’

Hermione had eyed this letter with great disdain and anger.

‘Well, it’s a bit late for that, isn’t it?’ she felt like shouting at the parchment.

The only thing that had remotely cheered Hermione up was the Hogsmeade weekend that had been scheduled for the following weekend. It was supposed to be a reward for all the hard work the students had put into their examinations. However, this in itself had also dampened her spirits because she would essentially be going alone. No one wanted to even wave a hello in the corridors to her anymore, let alone invite her to go to Hogsmeade with them.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

It was Friday, the day before the Hogsmeade trip. Hermione was sitting at Gryffindor table alone. It was almost like an invisible and impenetrable barrier was around her. Occasionally a younger student would cast a fearful look towards her, but they would quickly go back to whatever it was they were doing.

That was, until Sirius strode into the room. He missed Hermione and he was adamant that he was going to do anything that he could to win her back. He planned to invite her to Hogsmeade with him, citing that she needed time to relax and unwind.

He cautiously approached her as she was tucking into her breakfast. She did not react negatively to him being there, and he took this as a good sign. At least she wasn’t hexing him!

He decided to take the plunge and try to speak to her.

“Hermione?”

Hermione turned to look at him. Her face was almost impassive. Sirius could pick up a trace of hurt, but he supposed that was only because he knew her so well...and because he was part of the reason for that hurt.

Taking a deep breath, he swallowed his pride and any reservations he had about what he was about to say.

“Ah...I was wondering....If you weren’t too busy tomorrow... Would you like to come to Hogsmeade with me? If it helps, I’m sorry about what I said the other day. We talked it over in the dorms that night, and agreed that James was a complete and total arse. I wasn’t any better, and for that I am sorry.”

Hermione continued to look at him with the sad expression.

“Hermione? Please, say something. I’ll understand if you never want to speak to me again-”

Hermione let out a small sigh, before cutting him off mid-sentence.

“Sirius – stop. I’m still angry with you and James about what you did. But to be honest, I am also angry at myself.”

Sirius blinked in confusion; however, he let her continue. He wanted to know why she had lashed out.

“I’m angry that I let it get that far. I’m angry that I turned my wand on James and I am angry that I am angry at you. What you did was terrible and hateful, but I attacked the both of you, and that was just as wrong. Everyone knows that you can do accidental magic when your emotions are very strong. What if I did something to hurt you? Or to hurt James?”