Chapter 44

Chapter 44: Lacus non leo?

Hermione was wondering around Potter Manor with Christmas wreaths and garlands in her arms, magicking them into place. She was in the middle of carrying a particularly large bundle in her arms, and she could hardly see where she was going. That was when she felt her toe make contact with something wooden. Very hard contact with something wooden.

“Owwww!”

She dropped the Christmas decorations all over the floor as she grabbed her aching toe. Hermione thought that a stubbed toe could give the aftershocks of the Cruciatus curse a run for their money when it came to levels of pain that had to be unwillingly endured.

“Hermione! Are you alright?”

Hermione felt Sirius’ hands almost life her off the ground as he manoeuvred her to sit on the bottom step of the nearest staircase.

“Sirius, I’m fine. I only stubbed my toe. I’m not exactly made of glass.”

Sirius looked at her apologetically, but before he had the chance to say anything, Hermione butted in.

“What’s all this?” she said, gesturing to the numerous trunks and bags that were littering the main foyer of the manor.

“This?” Oh, I’m moving in,” stated Sirius in a rather cavalier fashion.

“Oh?” said Hermione, sore toe completely forgotten.

“Yeah, Ma and Pops said its ok. We’ll be at Hogwarts most of the time, and after that, I can get my own place.”

“Would I be invited to this place that you will be getting?” teased Hermione.

“Babe, you can stay indefinitely,” he replied capturing her lips with his own.

“I quite like the sound of that,” whispered Hermione against his lips.

“Pads, are y- oh Merlin! Why do I always have to walk in at the wrong moment!”

Sirius looked up at the intrusion with a slightly annoyed look on his face.

“Prongs, d’you mind? We’re kinda having a moment here.”

“You’re not the only one, mate, I don’t know if I’ll ever be able erase that image from my brain...eurgh...”

James mimed the action of throwing up.

“Oh, get over it Prongsie, we have had to learn to survive through you and Lily.”

“Hey, at least we’re discreet about it.”

“The library is not as discreet as you think, James,” interjected Hermione, and she shuddered as she remembered the day when she had spotted Remus and Estrella. Sirius laughed, Hermione had told him the library story.

“Oh,” replied James, comprehension suddenly dawning, “Well, I’ll leave you to it. Pads you’re room is ready, you know where to go.”

“Cool,” replied Sirius, before turning to Hermione, “Race, you up?”

“You’re on.”

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Hermione and Sirius walked down Diagon Alley, hands tightly interwoven, with wands being firmly held by their remaining hands.

The last time they had been down here was in the summer, and in the intervening months, Diagon Alley had drastically changed. The cold winter weather did absolutely nothing to lift the mood.

Shop windows were tightly shut, and men and women alike bustled about their business, not even daring to look up, wanting to get out of there as fast as possible.

Mothers kept a firm grip on children, as they pulled them down the narrow, cobblestoned street. Husbands stood close to wives, couples never venturing far from one another. Any conversations were held in whispers or quiet murmurs. Sirius and Hermione remained silent as they shopped for Christmas presents from the family. They were thankful that they were almost done, Hermione did not wish to linger in here any longer than necessary.

Hermione wondered whether Muggle London would have been the safer option for their Christmas shopping. But, she ended up reasoning with herself that if there was any kind of attack on them, they would be in the company of witches and wizards here, who would hopefully come to their aid should they require it.

Finally Hermione had bought her last gift: a pair of Dragon hide Quidditch gloves for James, and the couple was able to leave the Alley. They apparated themselves back to the apparition point just outside the gates of Potter Manor.

Hermione finally let out the breath that she had been holding when she saw that they had arrived home safe, and that they were away from that now awful place. It would have never occurred to Hermione, in a million years that she would be glad to leave the cobblestoned walkways of Diagon Alley.

Hermione and Sirius went inside and put away their purchases before sitting down together for a snack.

“This is our last Christmas that we will have while we are still at Hogwarts,” said Hermione with a sad smile on her face.

“Yeah...” replied Sirius, “It’s kind of sad, but at the same time, I can’t wait to get out there into the real world and kick some Death Eater butt.”

Hermione’s sad smile turned into a happy one. It was so like Sirius to want in on the action.

“The Death Eaters are more powerful than what you think,” Hermione said cautiously, despite herself.

“They haven’t been doing much lately. There has hardly been anything in the ‘Prophet’ about disappearances, or... (at this point Sirius gulped)...murders.”

“That is strange,” replied Hermione, who had been expecting to find something in newspapers, “But there literally is nothing. I can’t help but get the feeling that they’re up to something.”

Sirius gave her a funny look.

“The Death Eaters are always up to something, Mione.”