Chapter 16

Chapter 16: Verum aut audes

The journey on the Hogwarts Express was not as eventful as it have been the previous year, however, everyone present was keenly reminded of the sting of Hermione’s anger.

The students disembarked the train to the usual cries of “Firs’ years!”

They waved their quick hello to a thoroughly occupied Hagrid, and continued up to the carriages. Hermione was perfectly capable of seeing the thestrals, and had done so since she had started at Hogwarts this time around. However, she made no comment when the others questioned the existence of a carriage that could pull itself. Although it had technically been some time since the battle, the wounds were still barely healed and one wrong move would cause the blood to flow anew.

Hermione walked up the front stairs of Hogwarts unaccompanied. This was due to the fact that brother and his friends were deeply engrossed in a conversation on whether it was necessary to put a bedazzling hex on the Map. Remus was arguing that it would be more prudent to wait until the map was completed before protective enchantments were placed on it, however, James being James, was strongly opposed to any sensible idea.

They had made some progress on the Map during the holidays and had successfully drawn some of the larger, more obvious sections of the castle.

They aimed to have the physical drawing of the castle complete by Christmas. This would allow them to use the Potter Library to look for magic that would track individuals in the castle and grounds.

Hogwarts library only had books such as these in the restricted section which was, believe it or not, restricted and hence unavailable for such endeavours.

Hermione had helped them locate several secrete passageways in this time and had also pointed out where several staircases ended up after they had moved.

All in all, they had spent a full, rather productive year, on the Map and they remained on the right track. All was well in that department, at least.

Hermione was shocked out of her ruminations by a hand clamping down on her shoulder. Nearly jumping out of her skin at this, she heard a familiar bark of laughter as she turned to face Sirius. About the shout at him for scaring her, he headed her off early by holding up a book.

“You forgot this on the train,” he said with a smile still plastered across his face.

“Twenty Ways to Time Travel,” he read from the cover before turning to Hermione, “Why are you always reading books about Time Travel?”

Hermione had been anticipating a number of questions similar to this for some time and had an answer prepared for just such an occasion.

“I’m just interested in the possibility of it. I mean, wouldn’t you like to go back in time, even for just a little while?”

“I guess,” he replied with a twist of his mouth, “but I don’t go reading up on how to do it. I would much rather live in the present. Live for now.”

Hermione nodded at him.

“A wise philosophy, Sirius, especially from one so juvenile.”

“HEY!”

They chattered about inconsequential matters as they advanced to the Great Hall, continuing all through the feast and again as they were walking towards Gryffindor Tower, up until it came time to move into their separate dormitories.

Hermione found that Sirius was rather easy to have a conversation with. He was patient, willing to listen and knowledgeable about a host of subjects. He was also exceptionally congenial (towards most), nobody could not like him (Snape was the exception), Hermione especially.