Chapter 1

8 YEARS LATER

"Mom, Dad; I'm heading to school now," I yell throughout my home.

"Aren't you late," Mom asks walking out the kitchen, "It's 7:30 AM, your school starts at 7:30.  You should've left with your brothers."

"Yeah are you going to be nearly 30 minutes late for your meetings when you're Alpha," Dad asks coming down the stairs.

"Well if I left with the guys, I wouldn't have been able to do a perimeter check," I answer, "Plus my brothers leave super early because they're nerds."

"Good job on doing a run around the territory," Dad says, "Bad job on talking about your brothers, don't say or do mean things to them."

"Yeah, yeah. I got it," I answer, "Love you, bye."

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY," my parents yelled to my back as I walked away.

I then walked to the garage and jumped into my gorgeous Audi and took off for school.

MINUTES LATER

Ms. Kingsley your late, again," my teacher Mr. Barlow says.

"Sir, you know I'm always late," I say smirking, "And you know why I'm always late."

"Please don't make a habit of it Ms. Kingsley," he asked me.

"Its already a habit Barlow," I told him, then the bell rang, "Looks like this class is over."

I watched and waited until everyone was out the classroom.  When I turned to Jason Barlow, my long time boyfriend.

"Hey Anna, you look beautiful today," Jason says, "But then again you always do."

"Hi Jason, nice act today," I laughed walking forward to him.  I kissed him, Jason always tasted like the cinnamon gum he loves to chew.

"Well sometimes you should be on time, your making me look like a bad teacher," he said after pulling back.

"Well than I guess all of my teachers are bad teachers," I tell him laughing.

"True," He tells me, "Your late to all your classes."

"Well I like doing perimeter checks often and sneaking time with my boyfriend."

"Speaking of, when am I picking you up," Jason asks.

"Right after the pack meeting," I answer him, "I wonder what it is about."

"Guess we'll find out soon," Jason says, "Oh, and you need to go to your next class."

"Yeah, yeah, I know."

I lean up to kiss Jason again.

"Oh, I almost forgot Happy Birthday," Jason says after we stop kissing, then hands me a little box, "Open it."

I open it and find a silver locket, open it, lining around a picture is diamonds.  Inside showed a picture I had taken of Jason and I on our first date, he had taken me to an Amusement Park.

I put on my new locket, kissed Jason and left for my next class.

The day just sped by fast and before I knew it, I was leaving for the pack meeting.  I still didn't know what the meeting was about but I could tell my family was excited about it.

I got on the stage with the rest of my family, the Beta family, 3Rd family.  My father stood in front of the pillar, my mom standing to the right of him, next to her I stood.  My brothers sat in chairs on our side.

On my dad's left stood the current Beta, my future Beta, then the current 3Rd, and next to him the future 3Rd. 

All of the leaders of the pack and the future leaders stand up strong together in the front of the pack.  The rest of our families sitting behind to support us. 

"We have gathered here today to speak of my daughter's, your future Alphas, 18th birthday.  In our pack history, the Alpha rank wouldn't be passed down until they met their mate.  I wish we could follow in tradition but I have been diagnosed with a rare terminal sickness, my wolf will not be able to heal me," dad stopped so we could all come to terms with what he said.

"Why didn't you tell us," my brother, Adrian asked standing up, both Aiden and I nodded our heads agreeing with Adrian's question.

"Well my children, while I love you all," dad started, "I did not want you freak out like this in our home.  I know in public you won't cause a huge scene."

"You should have told your own children first, at least me," I tell him, "I am your heir to the Alpha rank.  Now let's finish this meeting."

"As I said my wolf cannot heal my sickness, the doctors have estimated that I have about a month and a half until I die.  Because of this, I will be throwing tradition out of the window for Arianna," dad says, "Today on my daughter's 18th birthday in 2 hours, I will be passing down my title to Arianna."

"What," I ask him, "I'm not ready.  Even after I become Alpha I will still need you."

"You are ready," Dad says, "I cannot teach you anymore than what you can learn on your own.  You are late to classes so you can check the territory line each hour and a half, but you still have all A+'s.  You never fall behind in training and you always go to meetings with other packs."

"You're always here to encourage me though," I say.

"No, you choose to do extra checks, extra training, and go to meetings all on your own.  I have never seen an Alpha heir as dedicated as you are.  You are ready," he says, "Plus you will have Haden, and Lucas to help with your transition."

Haden and Lucas my best friends and my Beta and 3Rd, Beta Haden and 3Rd Lucas.  They were going to lead the pack next to me.

"Ok," I say.

"Good, be at the traditional pack grounds in a hour and a half," my dad says, "It is there where you will witness my heir taking her throne."