Chapter 3

Just as I faintly shut the door, I felt as though I missed her touch already. I stood there for a moment, contemplating whether it was too late to return into her arms or not. Her arms around me make me feel at home, like whatever situation or problem that’s ever weighed down on me didn’t matter. It made me feel like Lauren’s arms is where I belong, or where I find peace… warmth.

I gave up on the thought of returning as I turned my body to enter my room in the suite. I jumped in my place when my body met Ally’s; I thought all the girls had already slept.

“Sorry,” she mumbled, avoiding eye contact, “I forgot my phone and I didn’t know you were here.” She said like I needed an explanation. She tried to move past me, and I almost let her, until I rolled my eyes, sighed, and pulled her back.

“Ally. I’m sorry.” I chewed on my lower lip, watching her look down and hide her bothered and upset expressions.

“You have nothing to be sorry about.” She suddenly stiffened, and finally locked her eyes with mine.

“But I do. I was angry and I took it out on you,” I said, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, I understand, I guess.”

But she doesn’t. Ally’s the kind of person who, if angry or upset, tries to make sure everyone else doesn’t feel as low as she does, which is contrary of what I had done earlier. Her heart is practically made out of gold, and I envied that about her.

I lifted my arms and pulled her into a hug. “I love you, Ally Cat.”

“I love you too, Mila.” She finally returned the hug, melted into my arms, and I felt like everything had gratefully returned to normal.

We let go, and she looked up into my eyes. “Don’t bite me, but I was just giving you my advice and I meant it. I’m sorry if it confused you, but it’s the right thing to do…”

I sighed. I know it was only in her best interest, but she doesn’t get it. It wasn’t that easy. “Thank you, babe,” was all I could tell her.

She leaned up and kissed my cheek, before moving past me. I sighed once again, before heading towards my room. “Oh, and Mila?” Her voice calls out behind me.

“Yeah?”

“If you ever need to talk about it, you know where to find me.” She winked, and walked off. She was right about one thing. I do need to talk about it.  But I wouldn’t know where to start.

“Alright, so here’s another twitter question we received!” The interviewer exclaimed, reading off her iPad, “Hmm, okay, so what are your pet peeves?”

Lauren takes the microphone, and we all knew she was going to say open doors, but what really came out of her mouth was something else completely, “I really hate it when people don’t say what’s on their mind. Like, when people hide their thoughts or feelings, you know what I mean?” Lauren says, and the interviewer nods. Her head turns to face me, and she gives me a look I couldn’t quite explain.

The rest of the girls all yell out their short and simple pet peeves, but I stayed quiet. What exactly did she mean? Why’d she look at me like that? Could it be possible she heard me before I left her room?

The thought panicked me. Shit- no, no, no, I’m not ready to tell her just yet. I’m not ready for her to know, I need more time. I can’t handle her even thinking of the possibility of me having any feelings for her. But why? Why was I so upset about it?

We return to our car after the interview as Lauren walks beside me. “How’d you sleep last night?” She asks.

“I slept fine.” My tone exits out of my mouth harsher than I had wanted it to be. How did that happen?