Chapter 5

My vision blurred in and out like a brisk and sputtering engine. The view of Ally, with hopeful eyes, sitting at the edge of my bed, appeared in time.

“Good afternoon, baby cakes!” Ally shouted, and my brain fuzzed.

“Good morning…” I grumbled.

“It’s 1 P.M, you slept the whole day away.” Ally now narrowed her eyes at me.

“Whoa, okay, so what?”

“Whatever, sorry I didn’t mean to seem harsh, but anyway!” Ally cutely said, “Okay so I went to Lauren again and I told her I changed my mind, and that she should totally come talk to you! So then she started rambling on and on about how she knows you and how she knew you’re more comfortable on texts, so she said she’d start it off in a text, then see you in person.”

I felt my heart flutter. That was, in it’s own way, thoughtful of Lauren. And… ‘she knows me.’ I blushed, and didn’t realize I was lightly smiling like an idiot. Problem is, once she talks to me, every dreadful feeling for her is going to come right back, and I know it.

“O-okay…” I stuttered, “Thank you Ally Cat. I love you.”

“I love you too Mila Boo.” She leaned in and hugged me, with a kiss on the cheek.

She left the room, and I crossed my legs, anticipating this text Lauren was going to send me. Was it going to be long? Maybe saving the awkward talk and just putting how she doesn’t feel the same all in one, long, torturous text?

As if on cue, my phone vibrates, with Lauren’s name popping up.

Hey<3

So it wasn’t long, BUT THERE’S A HEART, I CAN’T BREATHE. Okay, she has to know I’m up for talking too.

Hi:’)

Camz, I’m outside about to take a walk. Come walk with me. I wanna talk to you.

I gulped.

yeah sure ok

My heart screamed and begged for entrance out of my ribcage. It was pounding and so close to bursting right out of my lungs. Okay, how do I look? I just woke up; of course I look like some kind of hulk disgusting mess!

I fixed myself up, and wore jeans and a floral top.

I made my way downstairs, and my heart beat faster and faster with every step.

I finally made my way outside, and there she was, leaning against the porch’s archway.

“Hey…” She said. God, I missed her.

“Hi,” I managed to cough out.

She bobbed her head in the other direction, gesturing to come with her. It was so odd to be around her, knowing that she’s aware of my feelings for her.

Her hands were shoved into her pockets, and her beanie hung perfectly on her head.

I tried to break the serious tension and atmosphere. “So, that was your way of ‘starting off on text’?” I chuckled, and it gets a smile on her face.

“I was going to start it differently, until I remembered this might kinda be a more serious subject. So I thought it deserved to be said in person, and you had to suck it up.” She stuck her tongue out, but then looked down.

“Okay. Well, I’d like to start it off by saying I’m sorry I’ve been avoiding you… it was rude and immature but I didn’t plan it right away, it was like it just… kinda happened.” My voice came out shaky and hesitative.