Chapter 19

Normani’s POV

Anyone with a pair of eyes could tell something was up.  I mean, I had a slight gist of what that something probably was, but I couldn’t get myself to believe it. They no doubt had feelings for each other; that part was clear. But what was happening behind it all – I wasn’t sure. Would they really go through months of acting completely normal in front of us and completely different behind closed doors? Were there really fights they never told us about? Well, I know the answer to the latter. We all do.

A few months ago, I didn’t think much of it. I noticed how they went through times where they didn’t speak, or when Camila was really distant, or how it would constantly change between them, but it never made sense to me, so I always shrugged it off and convinced myself it was nothing. And no one questioned when they became inseparable again – because it made us happy.

But from the start of… well, something… they became even touchier and more nervous and more excited to be alone. Especially since the start of the Harmonize America tour, the absolute excited anticipation to be alone in their hotel room was a little ridiculous. It’s one thing to be glad to sleep, and another to storm out of the car and up the hotel with no words exchanged, even after the most tiresome or exciting days.

But then there came another period of time – the most recent before they, once again, became inseparable – where they were distant again. They weren’t fighting, or else they’d be avoiding each other the way I’m assuming Camila did months ago. They touched, they interacted, but the thrill was gone.

They were always like that; their friendship was hard to keep up with.

And Dinah and I knew there was something hidden here, something we aren’t aware of. Something Camila and Lauren refuse to confide in us about.

These were all theories – but when Dinah and I passed by their hotel room a few weeks ago after their slight distance, we heard Camila yelling at Lauren. It sounded harsh, angry, and full of exhausted disappointment.

We couldn’t make out her words, but we knew one thing for sure – they were fighting. But then it calmed down, and the next day they were joined at the hip, yet again. They were back to radiating that certain glow they had before. And we wouldn’t have feeling left out by our own best friends.

“That’s the thing, though,” Dinah said, “When they run up to their rooms, they don’t sleep. Believe me, I’ve heard voices… noises. I don’t even know.”

“You don’t think… you know…?” I asked, afraid to bring up the image in our heads.

“Oh no – I don’t think– I mean, they wouldn’t, right? They’re too young and nervous to do anything like that and get away with it. And they’re too head over heels for each other not to spit it out if they were… you know… at night. Right?” Dinah explained.

“What do you think then?” I bit my lip, pondering on the thought. “We never really expected them to make out the way they did that night for truth or dare, remember? But they did. I mean if things weren’t weird before that, that must’ve caused something because that was pretty damn heated.”

“I kinda always thought they were crushing on each other. Hard.” Dinah told me, “But that wouldn’t explain the fights.”

“Unless only one of them have admitted to it,” I said, “and it kinda brings up a lot of fighting, you know?”

I turned to Ally who had gulped at that before she said, “Guys, just leave them alone to figure everything out. If they wanted you guys to know, they’d tell you. Give them their time.”