Chapter 4

"I wish you'd been nicer to that girl," Asami said to me as she put on her makeup. "She was actually really sweet."

I shrugged without a word.

"Really, Leinani," she sighed. "Please try." She turned to me with a teasing smirk. "I saw the way you looked at Bolin yesterday," she teased. "And the way he looked at you? You told me about your history with the guys, but you didn't say there was that kind of history!"

I laughed, "I'm sure that Dakota girl has her eye on him."

Asami winked at me. "I don't know, Nani. He might like you more."

A knock came on Asami's door, and we froze. We often forgot that she'd let the boys stay in her home, so our conversation were sometimes overheard. We froze, withholding our laughter as Mako's voice sounded from the other side of the door, "I can hear you two in there. Bolin wants to go swimming again."

Asami smiled, looking at me teasingly as she said, "We'll be right there!"

"We?" I asked. "Asami, I don't own a swimsuit. I don't even know how to swim."

"You can borrow one of mine," she said, not making it sound like a choice.

"Okay, but that doesn't solve my inability to swim."

Asami ignored my complaint and dug for a bathing suit from her closet, handing it to me. "Here."

I sighed in defeat and changed into the piece, frowning down at it. I'd never worn a bathing suit before, and I was already hating it.

We made our way to the swimming pool, where the brothers were already engaged in a water fight.

"Having fun?" Asami laughed at the sight.

Bolin nodded, hair matted to his face. With a big, goofy grin, he pushed his curtain of hair from his eyes and looked at me and Asami. "Come on it!" He shouted, "The water feels great!"

Mako and Asami went about their couple-y behavior, quietly flirting with one another, as I sat on the edge of the pool. I dipped my legs into the pool and watch as Bolin swam towards me.

"Still afraid of water?" He asked, resting his arms over my thighs and looking up at me.

I scoffed, "I'm not afraid of anything.

"Well, now," he said, an eyebrow perking up, "we both know that isn't true." Without saying another word, he grabbed my hands and began pulling me into the water.

"Bolin, no," I protested, instantly disproving my claim and pulling back. It was too late, I was already in the water and clinging to him.

Bolin chuckled softly. "I'm not gonna let you go," he smiled. "You can relax."

"You're a jerk, you know that?" I said, still struggling to release him.

He laughed again, walking further into the pool. He pried my body from his, holding my hands tightly. "For someone who isn't afraid of anything, you seem pretty afraid," he teased. He smiled at me and pulled me along as he swan.

Suddenly, Asami's butler entered. "Miss Sato, Miss Ho," he looked to the brothers and added, "gentlemen. Mister Sato wishes for you to see him."

Bolin and I shared a confused glance, then exchanged looks with Asami and Mako. They shrugged, insinuating that none of us knew what was happening.

We all left the pool room, changing back into our clothing, and began walking to the man's office. Bolin, being just as I remembered him, took longer than the rest of us to change.

Once we reached the stairs, Mako caught sight of Korra and Dakota and stopped them. "What's going on?" He asked. "Why are they asking Hiroshi questions?"

"I overheard him on the phone yesterday," Korra said. "Asami, I don't know how to tell you this, but I think your father might be involved with the Equalists."

I tensed, and Asami scoffed. "What? I don't believe this. Leinani, let's go." She grabbed my hand, and we ran up the stairs.

"Is there a problem, sir?" I asked as I pushed the door open. We found ourselves greeted by the faces of Lin and a man in airbender attire that I had never seen before.

"Leinani," Chief Beifong nodded, "it's good to see you in a place that isn't my police department."

Asami and I took our places on either side of Hiroshi's desk. I bowed in respect and smiled at Lin.

"Mr. Sato, we just have a few follow-up questions for you," Lin said.

For once, I am not the abrasive one. Asami marches to Lin and spits, "My father is innocent. Just because we're not benders doesn't mean we support those awful Equalists!"

Mr. Sato asked, "Equalists? Is that what this is about? I can assure you that I have nothing to do with those radicals." I look down to avoid eye contact, even though I was sure nobody was paying attention to me.

Korra blurted while pointing an accusing finger at Hiroshi Sato, "I overheard you on the phone! You said the Cabbage Corp investigation bought you time, and you're getting ready to strike! Explain that!"

Mr. Sato chuckled. "This is all just a misunderstanding, resulting from the young Avatar's overactive imagination. My number one competitor was knocked out of the game! It's providing me an opportunity to strike the market with a new line of Satomobiles!" He laughed again, adding, "It's just business. Nothing nefarious!"

"In order to put all suspicions to rest," said the man in airbender attire, "might we have a look into your factories and warehouses?"

Mr. Sato nodded, "If you feel it's necessary, you're welcome to search all of Future Industries."

As Asami led the others out, Mr. Sato looked at me and scowled. "They're closing in," he said in a low voice once the door was shut. "I expect better results soon, Miss Ho. That Avatar is getting too close to spoiling things, and I need to know how to break her."

I nodded and walked towards the door. As I reached for the door, Mr. Sato added, "If I am discovered, Miss Ho, keep something in mind. You are involved, and you will go down with me."