Chapter 13

"Leinani. Nani. Hey, get up. Are you okay? Here, I'll help you." Lin's voice sounds as if I'm underwater. Her arm slithers around my torso as her other hand drapes my arm over her shoulder and she helps me to my feet. I looked around, groggily, and watched as Bolin sat up and Mako helped Asami. "Are you able to stand on your own?" Lin asked me. Holding my head, I nodded.

While she sauntered to Tenzin and slapped him awake, Bolin sat up and looked around. Disoriented, he said, "Whoa! I had this awful dream that Korra was taken by this evil bloodbender, and Dakota was missing. So weird."

"Bolin," Asami said, "that really happened. He knocked us out."

"How?" Bolin asked, standing up to help me balance.

"Tarrlok is a bloodbender, Bo," I said. "What a plot twist."

"Are you serious?!" Bolin gawked, dropping me. I fell with a hard thud. "Oh, sorry, Nani." He bent down and helped me back to my feet, looking around cautiously. "Where is he? Is he here right now?"

"Tarrlok is long gone," said Saikhan, catching our attention. "I'll alert the whole force."

I looked at Bolin, who was wincing. "Are you hurt?" I asked. He shook his head, but his free hand gravitated towards his shoulder. Bo always was a bad liar. I wrapped my arm around his shoulder and massaged the sore spot. He let out a relieved sigh. "Better?" I asked with a half smile.

He replied with an Mhm!

"We've only been out for a little while," Lin said. "Maybe we can still pick up Tarrlok's trail."

"It could lead us to Korra and Dakota," Tenzin said with a nod. "Let's go."

As we flew on Oogi to in search of anything — anything — that could lead us to Korra, Bolin and I sat closely together. "Nani, I think we really need to talk," he said quietly.

"I really don't think this is a good time, Bo," I said, but he persevered.

"Leinani, I'm serious." His expression confirmed his words. "After what happened with Dakota... That fight..."

I interrupted him. "We've moved on from that," I told him. For once, I was telling the whole truth. "She and I are friends now, and so are we."

"That's the thing," he frowned. "I don't want to be friends. I want to be more."

At this, my eyes widened. I opened my mouth to respond — but, what do you say to something like that? Maybe I did like him as more than a friend and partner in crime, but Dakota still loved him. She didn't even seem to have any recollection of what happened between us. Luckily, a loud howl caught everyone's attention.

"That sounds like Naga," Mako announced. Tenzin steered Oogi towards the sound, and we found Naga walking down the street behind a building. The bison was lowered to the ground, and, a we drew closer, we could see Dakota and Korra on the polar bear dog.

"Dakota? Korra! Oh, thank goodness," Tenzin cried out as we climbed from the furry beast. He and Lin ran to the two girls and assisted them off of Naga. Dakota stood, though Korra was unable to do the same.

"Where's Tarrlok?" Lin asked. "How did you get away?"

Mako ran forward and pushed the two adults aside, declaring that they needed to give the girls their space. He lifted Korra and held her in his arms, whispering something. She laid her head on Mako's shoulder and closed her eyes. I looked to Asami, whose face was painted with hurt and confusion. I looked forward again and found Bolin embracing Dakota. They were whispering in each other's ear. I suddenly understood Asami's feelings. A pit formed in my stomach, filling with an unfamiliar emotion that I didn't particularly enjoy.

Dakota pulled away from Bolin, eyes focused on me. She smiled warmly and ran quickly to me. Her body slammed against mine as she wrapped her arms around me. I could feel her smiling. Why was she doing this? Was she intentionally trying to make me uncomfortable? Well, she was doing an excellent job at it. Awkwardly, I patted her back rather than returning the hug. I looked to Asami, who only shook her head as if to tell me, I can't help you with this.

"Come on, Sidekick," I said, prying myself from her. "You and Korra need to rest. You're finally safe."