Chapter 8

Mako, Bolin, and I quietly made our way through the tunnel. Part of me wanted to point out that it was like old times again, but it was not the sort of sentiment that any of us wanted to share.

"Do you want to explain why you were helping the Equalists?" Mako said in a way that didn't sound optional. "Do you have something against benders?"

I didn't answer. How could I? Did I have a hatred towards benders? I didn't even know the answer. Maybe I was bitter because I couldn't bend, or because I've only ever seen it used to attack another person. I continued without replying to Mako, turning to the brothers. "Cup your hands," I ordered.

Mako's eyebrows furrowed. "Why aren't you answering the question?"

"Do you want to help the others and stop Hiroshi, or not?" I asked, glaring back. "Shut up and cup your hands." Bolin did so without a word. I stepped in his hands and hoisted myself up, loosening a panel and pushing it aside. I peeked out from the hole and scanned the room. My eyes landed on Equalists carrying unconscious metalbenders into a cargo truck. "Oh, no," I breathed out.

"What's wrong?" Bolin whispered from below me. "What do you see?"

I pulled myself up into the factory. The brothers helped themselves up, refusing my help. A few feet from the trucks, Lin, Tenzin, Dakota, and Korra laid motionless against one another. "Korra was right," Mako said quietly. "We've gotta do something - quick!"

We sneak along the wall, hiding behind a large cylindrical tank. I peeked my head around the tank and waved my hand behind me to indicate to the brothers that the coast was clear. We ran toward the group and began helping them up. Bolin hauls Tenzin onto his back, Mako lifts Korra, and I draped Lin and Dakota over my shoulders with an around their waists to keep them stable.

"Are you sure you can carry them both?" Bolin asked. "I can help if you-"

"I'm fine," I grunted. "I've got it." We turned to walk away and found ourselves facing Hiroshi, wearing a pair of gloves that crackled with electricity, and a lieutenant that readily held fighting sticks.

"Not so fast, you three," Hiroshi growled.

Nervously, Bolin smiles, "Hello, Mr. Sato! Wow. What a really swell, scary factory you have here under your giant mansion." I shoot Bolin a look, and he ceases talking.

Mako glared at the man and spoke with a tone of venom. "Sponsoring our team, supporting the Avatar. It was all just a big cover!"

Hiroshi matched Mako's glare. "Yes, and the most difficult part was watching my daughter traipse around with a firebending street rat like you!" His hateful glare turned to me and deepened. "And you! Did you really think that belong the Avatar's friends would get you out of this, consequence-free? You're as much a part of this as I am."

"I know what I did," I said coldly. "I accept whatever is waiting for me. You, however, are in for a whole lot more."

"Do you think I'm afraid of you?" He laughed.

"No," I replied in indifference, "but you very well should be." Across the room, I could see Asami sneaking into the vicinity, so I kept talking to keep the focus from her. "Explain something to me: Do you understand that your vendetta is completely contradictory?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I mean, you claim that benders are using their ability to hurt others," I explained, "but isn't that what you and the Equalists are doing? Abusing your power and hurting other people for a mediocre cause?"

Hiroshi's mouth gaped like a fish before words finally came out. "Firebenders kill my wife!" He shouted defensively.

An eyebrow arched, I said, "And I can only assume that she would be disgusted by your actions."

"That's enough out of you," Hiroshi snarled. His gloves crackled again as he stepped forward, malice lacing his throughout his entire demeanor.

Asami shouted, "Dad, stop!"

Her father stopped and turned to look at his daughter. His malevolence melted away at the sight of her, and he lowered his hand. "Sweetie," he said sadly, "I wanted to keep you out of this for as long as I could."

By this time, Korra was slowly waking in Mako's arms.

"Now that you know the truth," Hiroshi pleaded, "please, forgive me. These people... these benders... They took away your mother, the love of my life! They've ruined the world! But, with Amon, we can fix it and build a perfect world together!"

Asami looked from her father, to us, and back with a stunned expression. She averts her eyes, unable to look at Hiroshi. Unable to look at her own father. He took off one of his gloves and handed it to his daughter, pleading softly, "Join me, Asami." She looked down at the glove with eyes glistening with unshed tears. She reached a trembling hand for the glove.

"No," I heard Mako whisper in shock. I look to my side and see a look that I'm sure matched my own: fear. Korra, Bolin, and Mako looked on. I frowned, looking at Asami as she slipped the glove over her hand. She looked down at her hand with a hard face. Asami closed her eyes and pressed the glove against her father's chest with the crackling glove. Hiroshi screamed as a burst of electricity jolted through his body, then falls to the ground twitching and jerking.

The lieutenant that we'd completely forgotten about charged at Asami, who quickly twisted him around and shocked him with the glove. As he laid twitching next to her father, I looked at Mako and Korra as they stared, slack-jawed. "I told you," I said with a half smirk. "Asami can take care of herself."

Mako nodded, then said, "Let's get out of here!"

Everyone had piled onto the metalbenders' airship. Asami stood by the window, watching her home shrink away with sad eyes. I stood with Tenzin as Lin was lying on a bench.

"My metalbenders are on their way to Amon," Lin sighed weakly, "and it's all my fault. Tarrlock was right. I failed as Chief. First thing in the morning, I'm handing in my resignation."

Tenzin blurted, "No! You can't give up like this!"

"I'm not giving up," Lin grunted. She pulled herself to a sitting position. "I'm going to find my officers and take Amon down. But I'm going to do it my way - outside of the law." She looked at me and added, "Leinani, that's where you come in."

"Me?" I asked. "Why would you need my help?"

She smirked. "If there's one person I know that can go outside the law with no trouble, it's you. Consider this your way of making up for helping Equalists."

I nodded slowly. "Fair enough." I thought for a moment, then asked, "Where am I supposed to stay now?" With Hiroshi in prison, I'd nowhere to live, having lived with him and his daughter while I worked for Future Industries.

Tenzin was the one to answer. "You may live in the Air Temple," he offered. "We have plenty of room, and it would be an honor to host Saki's granddaughter."

I frowned, but nodded in acceptance anyway. "Thank you, sir." I looked over my shoulder to Bolin. Dakota's head was rested in his lap.

Staying under the same roof as the Avatar and her sidekick was not on my To-Do list, so this would be more than interesting.