Chapter 37

It felt great to be back in the city. No more snow, no more freezing temperatures. No more freaky twins, no more Spirits — at least, that's what I hoped for. I had arrived just before the sun set. The sky was a beautiful blend of oranges and pinks and blues, the clouds glowing with a golden outline. I took in the sight and the warm evening air. It was close to storming, I could tell. I rode the temporarily calm waves directly to Air Temple Island, hoping that I had reached it before my family.

I docked Varrick's boat and held the ring of keys around my index finger as I made my way across the dock and towards the temple. Things were pretty quiet, which was serene. There was a cool but humid breeze that pushed my hair from my face. "Leinani!" I heard Ikki's voice squeal. "You're back! Did you have fun in the South Pole?"

"Not really, little airbender," I said with a shrug.

"Where are the others?"

"Still in the South," I told her. "Things aren't exactly settled down there quite yet. But some important things were waiting for me here."

"Oh," she said as she skipped alongside me. "Is that why all of your family is here?"

I froze in my tracks. "They're already here?" I asked in disbelief.

Ikki nodded and watched as the rain clouds rolled in. "Yeah," she said, "they're inside talking to Daddy and Aunt Kya and Uncle Bumi. They all seem pretty worried. Wha—?" Before she could asked whatever invasive question was about to come out of her mouth, I broke into a full sprint toward the building. Ikki shouted after me, saying that it was rude to leave when someone is still talking. I'll apologise later, I told myself. I ran into the temple and found the adults all gathered in the dining area.

"....and that's why you should never, ever eat month old penguin meat, no matter the circumstances," Po was saying. Whatever story he was sharing earned a collection of laughter and repulsed groans. I pushed the doors open and found my family sitting around the table with Tenzin and his wife and siblings. I grinned internally at the sight. My family was a beautiful blend of sandy and pale faces, blue and hazel and amber eyes, and the darkest of dark hair — with very few grey hairs in sight on my aunts and uncles despite their age. There was, of course, the exception of Iroh, who was much younger than the others, only reaching his early forties. Jasmine sat beside Kya, with her sister on her other side. Iroh was next to his mother with Bumi to his side. Po and Klei sit next to one another. Mika — Dakota's grandmother who I only saw on rare, special occasions — was sitting at the table was well, though she didn't appear as eager to join in the festivities. Her eyes met mine first, and her hard expression softened within seconds.

"Leinani!" She said, a faint light of hope in her eyes. "We weren't expecting you for another day or two! How did you get here so quickly?"

"A friend lended me a fast boat," I explained vaguely.

Tenzin asked, "How are Korra and the others?"

"Alive and well," I told him before closing the door behind me. "I—"

"Enough with the small talk," Jasmine blurted. Her midnight hair was tight up in a tight ponytail, her bangs brushing against her cheeks. She stood to her feet and rounded the table. Jasmine's golden eyes scanned me up and down with a stern look, then smiled and wrapped her arms around me. "I'm so glad to see you."

"I've missed you," I said with a smile as I returned the hug. I looked to the others, though they didn't look all too ready to jump up and form a group hug. "Where's Gran Gran? And Zuko?"

"Father is holding my place in the palace," Izumi said in her typical stern tone, "and Mom is occupied with important business to tend to that prevented her from being here with us."