<r3turn14.m4p>

A return is supposed to be joyous, with sound and colour. It's supposed to bring relief. People coming back together; being around loved ones you've missed. But the moment I'm let out of the prison gates and see Darlene, the anxiety returns.

Not that I wasn't anxious while I was in prison.

I wasn't expecting much from this release. I wasn't expecting sunshine and birds chirping. I know that scenario would be impossible, because when I woke up that day, the sky was cold and grey.

Leon's words come back to my mind. "You see Whiterose, make sure you say I did you good."

I go up to Darlene, whose eyes are full of relief. She hugs me, although she knows I don't like being hugged. But this is the first time I've had friendly contact in a month and a half.

"What happened?" she finally asks when we're a few blocks away from the prison. It's better when we're not being heard. I want to tell her everything, but I know she has enough on her plate right now.

"I don't know," I respond, unsure what her question refers to. Maybe she's questioning why I was suddenly released without an explanation. That's when I remember I left my mythology book behind. But it had nothing of value in it.

Whiterose has been on my mind since Leon mentioned her name to me. What did he mean when he said that?

Does he know about the Five/Nine hack? How much does he know about me?

Darlene and I make it back to my flat, which has been left in ruins since I was last there. No one's been here since I left, which surprises me. I thought Dawn would have visited.

The first thing I do is check QWERTY is alive. That fish has been alive for two years. I don't think he'll be dying anytime soon.

Darlene hasn't stopped talking about what happened this past month. She mostly repeats information she had already told me before, like when Angela was taken into questioning for the Anonymous hack.

"I wonder who tried framing her," Darlene says, sitting down on my couch. I stand awkwardly in front of her, my hands in my hoodie pockets. I haven't taken off the hood since I got my hoodie back, after I was released.

"Darlene," I ask, changing the subject. "do you know why I was released?"

"I don't know," she says, her tone as serious as mine. "It's definitely someone who needs you."

But who would need me right now?

I hear a knock on the door. I begin to panic. Am I being arrested again? Is it Tyrell? Mr Robot, who I haven't seen since I broke into Ray's office?

"Well? Are you gonna answer that?" Darlene asks, impatiently. That's when I realise I zoned out. I walk over to the door, my heart stopping when I see Dawn. Am I imagining this?

I had no idea she would be here. Maybe Darlene told her. The wave of relief that hits me is too strong. I don't even realise I've started kissing her. I've kissed her in front of Darlene.

"That is so not you," Darlene says with a snort, but I ignore her. I gaze at Dawn, who I haven't seen in what feels like years. I cup her cheeks gently, her smile lighting up the whole room.

But suddenly her smile dims. I know she's angry at me for pleading guilty when I could have just avoided it. But I'm back now.

"I missed you so much," she whispers, her hands running through my curly hair. How many times did I daydream about this, in the tightness of my cell?

"I missed you too," I say as she hugs me tightly again.

How did I forget she was Darlene's childhood best friend?