The truth

Harley shifted uncomfortably as her breathing quickened.

The Joker remained emotionless. He simply kept his gaze fixed on Mila.

"I don't like talking about it," Harley said as her voice quaked. She was clearly distressed and Mila noticed.

"I'm sorry, please don't think much of it if it upsets you. For now, I'm just trying to introduce myself to you and your stories. Maybe hoping you could fill in the blanks?" She said almost as a question.

The Joker smirked. "Good luck with that."

Mila sighed. "You know what? Now that the introduction's are out of the way, let's  end the session here and now. I'll come back tomorrow, same time, and we can get down to it." She smiled sweetly as she closed the files and stacked them atop each other.

Before they knew, several guards were already gripping at their restraints, escorting them back to their cells.
Before being escorted out, Harley got a good look at Mila and noticed a scar under her brow. She narrowed her eyes trying to focus but was quickly taken out of the room.
When they were back in and free of their restraints, The Joker heard Harley speak.

"There's something about that one," she muttered just loud enough for him to hear.

He grinned and sat on the bed, looking down at the ground thinking of nothing.

---

Mila sighed as she walked into her small apartment. It was tiny but it was her space. In the few days she had been here, she had neatly decorated flowers and scented candles decorating the small space.

She walked to her room and sat on her bed. She looked to where her pillows were and saw the colorful little doll sprawled on them.

Her little clown.
She smiled as she picked it up and brought it up to her chin. She kissed it gently and nuzzled against it.
This was the one thing she had grown up with. The one thing she held onto since she was born. No one could take the little plush doll from her.

And here she was, a 22 year old psychiatrist holding onto a clown doll, depending so much on it for comfort and warmth.

The sudden ring of a telephone caused her to jolt for a split second but she quickly composed herself and picked it up.

"Hey mom....no I'm not busy I can talk...it was great! I actually met up with my patients today...yeah, two! Not just one! Haha...yeah...I can't come home now mom, I won't make it. Traffic is terrible....yeah I'm at my apartment....mom, I am sitting down. What's wrong?"
Mila stood up and paced around the room. Her mothers voice was laced in worry and distress.

"Fine mom, I'll come over tomorrow evening. I promised my patients I'd definitely see them tomorrow. Yes, alright. Bye mom, I love you!" Mila hung up as she sighed and glanced down at the clown in her hands.

"...I still can't believe The Joker has a daughter," she chuckled to herself.

----

Mila was sat opposite of the Joker and Harley Quinn. Harley kept staring at her, her eyes never once moving from Mila's scar under her eyebrow.
The Joker did the same. He glared intensely at her.

Mila noticed the tension

Mila noticed the tension. She wished she had her little clown doll with her now for comfort.

"How are you two doing today?" She asked in a low voice, attempting to break the ice.

No response.

She bit her lips as she thought of something else to say. Anything, at this point.

"I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about your daughter." Mila said hoping to snap them out of it.

Harley closed her eyes as a single tear ran down her cheek. The Joker grit his teeth and narrowed his eyes at her.

"She's dead," he replied simply.

"Puddin'...." Harley's voice began to break.

"She's long gone." He continued, his frown turning to a grin.

Harley sobbed silently as the memories flooded her. It was as if someone was squeezing Mila's heart tightly, causing her to run out of breath at the discomfort.

She immediately stood up and walk to Harley, instinctively placing a hand around her in a hug. When she pulled back Harley peered up and got a closer look at the scar.

"How'd you get that?" She asked as she sniffled.

Mila smiled and chucked, sitting on the desk in front of the two.

"It's embarrassing actually..." she said.

Both Harley and Joker waited silently for her to continue.

"Fine...I don't remember this occurrence but my mother tells me I was about two, chasing my older sister around a table with sharp edges. And I tripped and fell, landing my forehead right into the sharp edge," Mila blushed as she giggled to herself.

Harley smiled slightly, sighing.
The Joker remained emotionless.

Mila got off the desk and went back to her seat. "Anyway, let's end it here. I might not come back tomorrow, my mother is making me drive all the way out of Gotham for some announcement. I don't know what's wrong but I hope it's not too serious." Mila began mumbling but suddenly turned her gaze to them.

"I promise we'll do something fun next time," she smiled at them as the guards took them out of the room.

---

Mila was sat in her parents den conversing with them. She told them about her first few days at work at Arkham. But she never told them that she'd been treating the Joker and Harley Quinn.

They'd freak! So she decided that it was best not to mention it.
Though they were immensely proud of her achievements, they wished she'd be home with them. Always.
Away from the dangers of Gotham, which they had always worked to keep Mila away from.

Away from the truth.

"Mila, I realize this is random. But Now that you have your own little life away from us, we have to tell you a bit about yourself that you deserve to know." Her mother spoke, her voice quivering.

Mila tilted her head, confusion painted on her face.

"Mom? What's wrong? Is everything ok?" She asked a bit concerned at this point.

Her mother sat down next to her and placed a hand on her thigh.

"Mila, sweety, the truth is...you're adopted," her mother spoke slowly as Mila's eyes widened in disbelief.