CHAPTER IV

It was two a.m. When John's phone started to frantically ring. After the third ring of the tenth trial, he picked up.

"Sherlock, whatever it is, I doubt it's that important."

"Hello John. Sorry but this isn't Sherlock."

He shook his head in confusion and adjusted the volume. It was a woman on the line using Sherlock's phone.

"Hello?"

She said again and John started worrying.

"Where is Sherlock and why are you using his cellphone!"

The woman on the line yawned

"He woke me up about three hours ago. Something about fungi samples he got from somewhere. He made me call up Greg as well. He wants both of you in the Lab. He thinks that we've found something."

John's mind snapped into focus almost instantaneously. He was up with adrenaline. Sherlock found a lead and by the sound of it, it was important.

"If course Molly, I'm on my way."

The call ended and John prayed for a cab.

*********

"Sherlock Holmes, this better be good." John shut the door with a confused look on his face as he took in the scene. The laboratory was cleared out with only three people inside. Greg had arrived earlier than he did and was standing half annoyed in the center of the lab. Molly was trying to stifle a yawn by sipping a mug of coffee. Finally, Sherlock was pacing around Lestrade, asking him questions.

"What's going on?" John asked but Molly only shrugged in reply.

After a few more minutes of pacing, Sherlock let Greg stand next to Molly.

"John, come over here." He called out. The doctor stood in the place Greg was earlier.

"Sherlock, what does this have to do with the investigation?"

"I have a few questions for you John. Just a few quick ones."

*********

"Alright everyone. Here are the lab results."

Greg, Molly, and John were whispering among each other when Sherlock reentered the laboratory. After John's interrogation, he had left the room to 'Analyze the data'

"Sherlock, what does this have to do with fungi samples?" John questioned.

"Nothing. I told Molly to tell you that I've found something for you to pick up your ass and get over here since you wouldn't answer my calls."

Molly nodded in confirmation and took another sip of coffee. It was her fourth cup and it was only five a.m.

"The three of you are obviously wondering why I called you all here for our Q & A portion."

"'Wondering' is an understatement."

"Not a time for sarcasm Lestrade."

He took his phone out of his pocket for everyone to see. The recording app was open.

"I've been analyzing all your answers and all of it is as expected. Candidate number one."

He hit the playback button and everyone leaned in to listen.

Sherlock: Good morning Molly. Would you mind if I asked you a few questions?

Molly: *yawn* at this time of day? I very much mind.

Sherlock: It's good to know that you don't. Now, first question. How many sweaters did you buy in one month in the hopes of being able to impersonate John Watson.

Molly: I'm sorry, what? I don't think I heard that right.

Sherlock: I said it loud and clear. No lying.

Molly: What would there be for me to lie Sherlock? I shop alot--alot recently. THAT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING!

Sherlock: Molly, you are a horrible liar.

Molly: I mean, I bought a couple of sweatpants a few days ago. I found a few sweaters too. They were alright, I guess.

Sherlock: I was asking a yes or no question.

Molly: ALRIGHT! I bought the all. You don't need to make such a fuss about it.

The recording ended with static. John raised a brow at Molly who couldn't contain her blush.

"Now, number two."

The second recording played was played.

Sherlock: Good morning Gregory. Did you sleep well?

Greg: It would've been great if I did get any. And calling me by my first name doesn't suit you.

Sherlock: It won't be fair if you won't pretend to be civil. I'm trying. See?

Greg: Cut to the chase Holmes.

Sherlock: My million dollar question. Have you ever caught Donavon and Anderson doing God knows what in the office basement?

*silence*

Sherlock: Take your time. It's only Molly's second cup.

Greg: I am under a vow of silence.

Sherlock: You won't get me to believe that.

Greg: No.

*silence*

Sherlock: *sigh* I'll give Scotland Yard partial credit for the next two cases.

*silence*

Sherlock: Overall credit.

*silence*

Sherlock: The next five cases?

*silence*

Sherlock: *sigh* No documentation from John Watson.

Greg: None?

Sherlock: None.

Greg: Alright. I may have caught them once.

*silence*

Greg: That is all I will say.

The static meant that it was over.

"You are going to honor our deal right?"

"Of course. Am I known for do any less?"

"Unfortunately, yes."

Sherlock went silent. John wasn't sure whether or not he should laugh at his friend who was never at a loss for words. While he was still debating this fact, Sherlock's phone buzzed in his hands. He turned away and answered it. Less than a minute later, he returned with what looked like worry in his face. It faded as quick as it came.

"Apologies, but I think John's portion will have to wait."

The other three asked why when he grabbed John's sleeve and dragged him out.

"Apparently, my dear brother nearly got himself killed."