CHAPTER IX

"That was a horrible thing to do, Sherlock."

Mrs. Hudson broke the silence. No one else wanted to pick up after Johns dramatic departure.

"Some acts of horror happen to be necessary."

Before Sherlock even finished, Greg slammed his fist on the table.

"Necessary? If you haven't noticed, Doctor Watson could have been the only person here who is still willingly taking in your shit."

"You don't get it yet—

"Of all the possible times you could've done something like that, you chose now?"

"You know that time is everything. There wasn't any better time."

Molly was shaking her head in disbelief.

"We are solving a case that involves a third of the population of England. A HEALTH case at that! Why would you make our only doctor leave?"

"Just wait a moment and I will --"

"Sherlock god-be-damned Holmes, why would you ever—"

"SHUT UP AND LISTEN IT IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE THAT JOHN STAYS AS FAR FROM HERE AS POSSIBLE!"

The dead silence returned and the now impatient detective tried to calm his temper. Sometimes, he thought, people just didn't know when not to listen. He started to doubt if sending John away was going to be in any way helpful.

"As I was saying, yes, it is...unfortunate that John can no longer join us in solving this case yet it is imperative that we do not involve him further.

"Now, if you want answers, please turn your attention to the screen."

He motioned to the forsaken laptop on the edge of the table. The other three in the room moved closer to see the screen clearly. It was a surveillance video from the lab. The time stamp read that it was taken at 4 am earlier that morning. The figures of John and Sherlock were clearly in the center of the room.

"This was Johns interrogation."

"Yes, Molly. Now Greyson, notice anything?"

"First, it's Greg. I'm not even sure if you're just rubbing it in anymore. Second, why is it that John is the only one with surveillance while Molly and I had recordings?"

"Exactly!"

He hit play and presented the surveillance footage.

Earlier today

John stood at the center of the room while Sherlock paced around him. Greg had passed out on one of the stools and Molly was barely conscious herself. The detective stopped pacing and proceeded.

Well John, I believe you know the drill.

"Just get this done as soon as possible. I'm an actual human in need of sleep."

Sherlock didn't retort. Instead, he looked at John with such intensity, the doctor was sure he burned a hole right through him.

John kept his stance and returned the stare. He wasn't in any mood to even try and understand where Sherlock's 'method' was supposed to go.

"I can see that you're learning, John."

"No, I'm not. I just don't feel like causing any more respite with you at the moment."

The detective tilted his head slightly but never broke the eye contact.

So be it.

"Now, let's see. What might I ask the much affiliated doctor?"

John wanted to hit him. Why won't he get to the damn point?

"What is it that I want to know that will help this case?"

"Holmes, stop trolling. I didn't come here for games."

From the side of his vision, behind the detective, John saw Molly rest her head on the table. He guessed that all the caffeine didn't help much.

Suddenly, there was a gleam in the eyes of the person in front of him.

"I like the sound of that. A game. Let's play a game, John."

That didn't sound good. Nothing he's ever said ever sounded good.

"That would depend on the game."

Sherlock smirked. Something was going to happen and John wouldn't like it.

"Let's play pretend. Nothing wrong with a little pretend, right?"

He didn't answer that. Sherlock began pacing again. This time, he stopped right behind John.

"Let's pretend that I'm the bad guy holding the gun. Easy?"

"Who am I then?"

"The hardest role of course. You will be playing doctor John Watson."

What the hell is he up to?

"The two over there. Let's say Greg is me."

He finally got his name right.

"And Molly?"

Sherlock extended his arm so it was next to John's head and made the shape of a gun with his hand.

"Molly will be Mary. Say hello to your wife, John"

The doctor didn't react. He watched as Sherlock moved the 'gun' between the resting figures of Greg and Molly.

"I have orders, Mr. Watson. I have orders to kill one of them in front of you. I have been instructed that only one should die today and you're the one who will decide on who it's going to be."

"Holmes, what is the point of this?"

"Tick tock, John. Choose quickly."

"What does this have to do with the case?"

"On the other hand, choose wisely. One dies while one leaves with you. Who's it going to be?"

John made a mental note to never fall for such phone calls again especially at three a.m.

"Come on, John. Will it be me or your wife?"

"Sherlock I-"

"I'm not Sherlock, I'm the gunman. Make a choice, John."

"This isn't going anywhere. You might as well stop it now."

"Time is running out-"

Suddenly, John was in front of Sherlock with the gun pointed at his forehead. The detective tried to pull away but John held his wrist tight.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"One person dies."

"One of them should die. Let go!"

"One dies and two will leave. Sherlock will go with Mary and that's final."

No one moved from that position for a full five seconds. Finally, John let go of Sherlock's wrist while he in turn put down the gun.

"Are we done now?"

"Yes, you may go now. Thank you. Just, don't ask Molly where she got her coffee."

"You drugged it didn't you?"

"Just to make the two of them drowsy."

"You're mad."

"We both know that."

The video ended there. Sherlock turned back to the other three in the room.

"Did that answer your questions?"

The trio looked at each other. They all had confused expressions. Mrs. Hudson got up and scurried out of the flat.

"Anybody?"

Greg shrugged

"What was that supposed to mean?"

"And you drugged my coffee?"

Sherlock sighed. Back to square one it is.