CHAPTER X

Harry had to leave for work after their conversation so John was once again alone. The flat was quiet and smelled strongly of coffee. He stared at the ceiling and contemplated about every little thing that crossed his mind.

"What does she work as now anyway?" he felt stupid for forgetting to ask. He was never really sure what his sisters career path was when they were kids. He never really bothered about it. He felt a little guilty for not involving himself more in his sisters life like he was supposed to. A few meetings with some drinks every now and then wouldn't have hurt.

"I'm an amazing brother. The best one there is! No doubt about it..."

He started thinking about his conversation with Mycroft. He said that he didn't hate Sherlock. John didn't hate his sister either. They were just so different. They were far too different actually. He was always the more dutiful one. Ever since they were children, John has always had a greater sense of responsibility. Harry, on the other hand, didn't seem to care about anything. When she got together with Clara, John thought that it would make a difference for her. How wrong he was.

What surprised him more was when he heard that Harry was the one who walked out. In all honesty, everyone was surprised with her sudden action. He then laughed slightly as he played with the phone she had given him.

"Maybe she was drunk at the time."

Knowing her, she probably was.

Next on the ongoing trail was the family he bumped into. They looked so happy. It seemed almost impossible how they all looked that way. While in Afghanistan, he thought that he wanted to settle down eventually. Now that he was away from there, he was restless. He tried moving his leg again but nothing happened. It was the same as before. He felt helpless again. He completely forgot about his minor disability to the point he didn't keep any crutches anymore. Surprisingly for an experienced army doctor, he had no idea what happened back there when he fell on the sidewalk. He also didn't feel like self-diagnosing so he let it be for now.

"Just for now. Ill figure it out later."

Unknowingly, his thoughts drifted to Mary. Its nearly been two days and neither of them even attempted to call the other up. He wasn't sure about what the row was about anymore. He knew that it was serious enough for him to be kicked out of his own house.

He thought about Rose. Since he was the one away, shouldn't he be the one calling to check up on her? Maybe Mary wouldn't let him talk to her—much less see her. He missed her more than he missed his wife.

Did he even miss his wife?

"Don't worry, Rosie. Dad is going to come home soon."

He continued to stare at the ceiling. He also forgot to ask what time Harry was going to get back.

"John Watson, you are stupid."