CHAPTER VIII

It's been a long time since John had last seen his sister. He hardly even recognized her. She changed much since he last crossed paths with her. Yet even then, one would think that they weren't related if their mannerisms were observed.

Harry moved much more freely and with more ease. John's movement was considerably more restricted and reserved.

John can't drive a car.

Harry has a license.

John was sure that it was suspended the last time he checked in.

"HARRIET WATSON IT'S A STOPLIGHT!"

"I KNOW WHAT HELL I'M DOING! STOP SHOUTING!"

"I'M A DOCTOR! I DON'T WANT MY COLLEAGUES SEEING ME IN THE HOSPITAL BECAUSE OF MY SISTER'S MAD DRIVING!"

"WELL, AS YOUR SISTER, I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BULLOCKS JOB!"

"WHAT GAVE YOU THE IMPRESSION THAT THIS WAS ABOUT MY JOB!"

"EVERYTHING WAS AND FOREVER WILL BE ABOUT YOUR JOB!"

"PEDESTRIAN!"

"I FUCKING KNEW THAT!"

"JESUS CHRIST ARE YOU DRUNK!"

"DOES IT LOOK LIKE IT!?"

Harry owned a car. That was surprising enough. It was harder to believe that she was somehow able to drive one again.

Its been a very long time indeed.

"HARRY!"

"Fucking relax, were here."

True enough, they were parallel parked in front of a familiar, decent looking building with several rooms for rent.

"Well come on." Harry opened the passenger door and offered her hand. John stared at his sisters upturned palm without moving a muscle.

"Don't you want to come inside? Come on, John, I doubt that you have anywhere else to go."

John thought about it for a moment. There was truth in that statement. He surely wasn't going back to Baker Street anytime soon. He was very sure he wasn't ready to see Greg and Molly either. Lastly, he left all his things (not to mention his wallet with all his money, credit cards and trifles like that) in the flat so he couldn't rent a place anywhere else. As much as he hated to admit it, it was the best time for his sister to show up. He took her hand.

"Fine, please tell me you've learned to clean after yourself." Harry supported John as they walked up to the entrance.

"Oh, you'll be the judge of that."

"That's all my fears in one sentence."

"Ha, very funny, John. Now tell me, why did you gain so much weight? Damn you're heavy."

"Yeah, who's the joker?"

Their conversation went that way as they ascended the stairs to where Harry lived. In all honesty, John felt much more comfortable. He could never imagine himself saying that regarding his sister. Now that all this was happening, he felt somehow happier compared to just moments ago. Did he really miss this much after years of ignoring his sister?

"Here we are! Welcome back to my castle. Is it finally to your liking?"

Harry let him sit on the couch. John didn't remember the place being this clean. It definitely wasn't spotless for you could see disregarded candy wrappers and articles of clothing lying around. Other than that, it was spotless. What happened?

"Surprised are we? How about I get us a drink?"

John raised an eyebrow causing Harry to roll her eyes.

"Cant you trust me for once goddamnit? Tea or coffee?"

"Coffee definitely. And no--"

"Sugar. Got it! Some things never change, huh?"

********

"And so, hows the missus?" John looked up from his cup. Harry's head was slightly tilted and pure curiosity illuminated her features. It was as if they were ignorant children watching bogus on the telly again. Very naive children.

"At the moment? Not alright."

She scoffed at him.

"Well, at least no I know that you're into difficult men. Good luck with that shit."

"What?"

Harry's eyes widened as she nearly spit out her tea.

"So its not the man your always seen with in the news?"

It was John this time that nearly spit out his coffee.

"What the fuck Harriet? I'm not gay!"

She rolled her eyes again.

"Sure you're not."

"Look, just because you are, it doesn't automatically make me a homosexual."

"Believe what the hell you want to believe. I'm getting a refill."

Harry stood up and John handed his mug to her. As she walked back into her small kitchen, she mumbled loud enough for John to hear

"You would've been better off with a difficult guy rather than a woman. Take it from me."

It only takes one thought to taint a persons beliefs: What if she was right?