Episode 5- El chupacabra

A month has passed and Mara was still more then quiet, I'm not sure if people acted this way after a love one dies. I wouldn't have a clue

I sneak a short glance over at Mara to see salty tears rolling down her face before her nose twitches trying to keep in the sobs.

I look away from her with this strange feeling eating me inside. I focused my attention on the road for a long few minutes that is until Mara speaks.

"Where exactly are we going?" I see Mara wiping her eyes quickly as she thinks I haven't noticed.

"Exactly," I sigh for a moment, "there's no exactly. We just drive."

"Then what's the next town. We've been driving for hours," she whines as I unexpectedly do a small smirk.

"Canovanas," I state.

She went silence for a second as she receive her answer but I guess she wanted more details.

"What are you exactly?"

"There's no exactly," I mention again.

"Yeah." She sits straighter, "what's that blade of yours do?"

"It kills demons or creatures that are beyond the dead," I state.

"Like zombies."

"No such thing."

"What's..." she was about to ask something before I butted in.

"Why are you coming with me? This life is dangerous and I was stupid to bring a 15 year old..."

"Sixteen," she states as I nod.

"Bring a sixteen year old girl on this torturous life because it's no picnic. No friends, no family, no contacts."

"Like I had any of that anyways."

I give out a silence sigh, "Canovanas is 20 minutes away, how about we stop for some breakfast before we both starve to death?"

She quietly nodded as she sat back in her sit and gently closed her eyes as if this was all just a dream and honestly I wished to heaven it was.

In not even 20 minutes we arrived in Canovanas, Mara had drifted off to sleep the second she closed her eyes. I drove slower as I take in the new Scenery trying to find a decent looking place to eat.

As soon as I park the car at a 24/7 breakfast cafe Mara is suddenly shaken awake with a startled look on her face as she was desperately breathing for air.

"Mara, it was just a dream," I say calmly looking in her eyes as I hold her shoulders back from jolting ford. I can hear her thumping heart radiating in the tips of my fingers.

She shook her head. I was expecting her to say whatever she saw but instead she says, "I can't remember." She looks away for a second, "it's all blank."

I sigh in relief but I still feel worried. I crouch back onto my seat. I turn my head to see Mara looking down with a confused face like she's not telling me something.

"How about we get something to eat," I mention as she looks my way and nods.

We both got out of the car heading into the cafe which was very quiet... no surprise there as it is only 3am.

"Let me guess you want bacon and eggs muffin and a hot chocolate," I say rising one of my eyebrows.

She crosses her arms as she says, "make that a coffee and we got a deal."

I squint my eyes at her as she does the same, "fine."

I walk up to the cashier, "2 coffees, 1 bacon and eggs muffin and 1 sausage muffin."