Chapter Two - Issobel Rique

"Mellonamin, hello; have you got anything new for me?"

Issobel Rique was always in Vadox's Herbs and Healing Infirmary. It was a daily thing, actually; every morning she would get up, prepare a meal for herself and her father, do a bit of cleaning around their large home and then head out for the markets. Living in the main city of Voleai had its perks, sure, but definitely not all the time. Issey wished that she could just walk the streets sometimes without being hustled for her riches, but it wasn't like that. The Elves lived wealthy lives in Voleai, but that just meant there were too many cities and too many rich, stuck up adults who thought they knew better than her. Sure, Issey was only twenty years old, but she definitely knew more about being an adult than majority of the Elves she had met in her life. She was tasked with looking after her father once he got sick, since he couldn't do it himself. She did everything she could to make him happy and comfortable; she went out of her way, all the time. He didn't know this, of course, which was the beauty of lying. He didn't have to worry about her if there was 'nothing wrong', did he?

That day, Issobel was doing her daily routine of asking Kay – her local healer – about any new herbs or medicines that might've come in overnight or during the day, for her father. Since she was a regular, Issey got most of her purchases at a discount, but there was only so much medicine could do.

"I did get a new shipment of tarragon leaves come in just this morning," Kay replied cheerily, putting down her quill as Issey approached her in the Herbs and Healing Infirmary. There were shelves stocked to the brim with herbs, leaves, liquids and creams, all of Kay's own invention. She was the best healer in Voleai, she reckoned; there couldn't possibly be anyone better, or Issey would've found them by now.

"Really?" Issey exclaimed, her emerald green eyes widening at the news. "Do you have them now?" Kay shook her head, brushing her thin brown hair over her pointy ears.

"No, sorry," she sighed. "I've been meaning to go grab them from the ship, but I've just not had time this morning. I have a new cough tonic brewing in the back that needs my attention, so I haven't been able to leave."

Issey's expression dropped, her pale skin getting paler. "I've been out of tarragon for days, Kay," she pleaded. "He needs it; is there anything you can do? I could stay and look after the tonic if you can go get it for me?" But Kay shook her head, doubt seeping into her pale features.

"No, you wouldn't know how to treat it," she explained. "I really am sorry, mellonamin; there's just nothing I can do."

If her father died, Issey would never forgive herself. He was the only family she had; she never got brothers or sisters, because her mum died giving birth to her. And since her father was sick, he didn't have the time or energy to go find love again. So instead, he sat around in his fancy house and waited for his day to come. Issey was stubborn though, and very strong-willed; she wasn't giving up on him. Not while she had the chance to do something about it.

"What if I went and got the shipment for you?" she suggested finally, and Kay opened her mouth to protest, only to slowly close it again in thought.

"I don't see why not," she admitted. "Only if it's what you want to do." At Issey's quick nod, Kay chuckled and moved under her counter to pick something up; a piece of paper. She then proceeded to hand it to Issey. "Give this to the Dwarf with the half-shaven head," she ordered. "Take the shipment and leave, got it? If you hang around, they'll think you're trying to steal from them. Come straight back here, and be careful, okay?"

Issey nodded, mustering a smile on her pink lips. "Sure thing," she replied. "Thank you so much, Kay. 'Quel re." With that, she tightened her swords' straps on her back, adjusted her poisons belt and jogged out of the shop, dodging all the pedestrians going the other way.