Chapter Eighteen - Helio

Helio and Kida were waiting outside the throne room of the palace for about half and hour, which displeased Helio. The Queen was the one who wanted to see him, so why was he waiting around for her? And despite actually wanting to see them, she didn't seem keen on showing up for this. But nonetheless, Helio sat patiently beside Kida and waited for the Queen to see them, which Kida wasn't happy about.

"What the hell is this woman's problem?" she demanded, glaring at the ceiling as she lay down on the cold, marble floors so she could throw a rock up and catch it continuously. Helio sighed.

"You need to work on your respect," he muttered. "Kida, you're meeting the Queen; act like it."

"Why?" Kida shot back. "She's the same as everyone else, only she has a stupid crown as well. I could do what she does if I had a crown; I could do it better, because I can kill people with shadows and stuff."

"You need to work on your attitude, as well," Helio murmured, shaking his head. Kida scowled.

"She is ready to see you now," a voice said from behind them, and Helio stood so he could turn and find one of the guards from the throne room was standing outside the doors, his hands held neatly in front of him. Helio nudged Kida with his foot before he nodded to the guard, who turned around and led him back into the throne room where the Queen was, ironically, waiting for him and Kida.

"Helio, it has certainly been a while," she announced when they entered the room, and Helio bowed his head slightly. Queen Farryn was a beautiful Keeri woman whose long, black hair was darker than the night and whose eyes were colder than ice. She represented the strength of Reichon, as she defended it with her life. She was a much better ruler than her husband, King Ethir, who hid behind the Council and let them decide everything for him. Since it was typical for the King to have the final say, Queen Farryn's requests were always overlooked, and she couldn't do much about what the Council was up to while her husband was still alive. Fortunately, though, she had control over Reichon's ports, which was exactly what Helio needed.

"And all this time, age has not affected you one bit, my Queen," Helio replied smoothly, bowing his head slightly to the Queen who sat alone on her throne. He then lifted his head before gesturing sideways to Kida, who was kind of leaning on one leg awkwardly during this exchange. "Your majesty, I would like you to meet Kida Delwen, the immortal."

"How fascinating," the Queen mused, tilting her head sideways in curiosity. Kida shuffled her feet uncomfortably. "How old are you, child? Or, how old were you?"

"Fourteen," Kida told her unsurely, and the Queen nodded, smiling.

"Indeed," she replied before looking back at Helio. "I will supply you with the ships you need to make this journey. Will fifty suffice?"

"Ten will be plenty, my Queen," Helio answered, pursing his lips in thought. "Because we could not get any Keeri soldiers from the Council, we went straight to the rebellion and we now have a lot of their people."

"Excellent, that is good news," the Queen sighed, leaning back in her throne. "I haven't heard from them in a while, and I thought Ethir got to them."

"No, they've been hiding away for a bit, to not draw attention," Kida assured her, and the Queen nodded.

"Well, I suppose that's good," she murmured. "If my husband gets his hands on them, nothing good could come of it for anyone. I thank you for speaking with them. The ships will be at the dock, waiting for you. Go at midnight, when the docks are closed, and tell the guards your name. They will allow the rebellion soldiers to sneak onto the ships, and you can set sail as soon as you're ready."