Chapter Thirty Three - Quinton Mattos

The look in Kida's eyes was one Quin would never forget. It was a mixture of emotions, ones that swirled around each other in a never-ending whirlwind. The ones he could pick out were shock and pain, like she'd just been kicked in the ribs. There was also guilt; that was the biggest one. But it all faded away soon enough, to reveal the most absolute, tremendous amount of joy Quin had ever seen in his life.

Kida squealed and leapt forward, latching herself onto Ryia with laughter and sobs shaking her. Ryia couldn't help but grin; she wrapped her arms around Kida and hugged her tight, and they stayed like this for a bit until it broke off.

"How the hell are you alive right now?" she demanded, and suddenly her fist was flying towards Ryia's shoulder and sending the human stumbling back, cursing.

"What the hell?" she demanded. "What was that for?"

"Scaring the hell out of me!" Kida shot back, then started laughing again. Issey managed to step forward and despite the differences the two had, they embraced with smiles and relief. As Issey went over to Quin, who supported her, Kieron stepped forward and swallowed. He was clearly nervous.

"Hey, thanks for saving my sister," Ryia told him with a smile, and Kieron laughed uneasily.

"Your sister?" he asked, and she nodded.

"She's the closest I got," she admitted, glancing at Issey. "They both are. And Hallee, wherever that goddess is."

Kieron nodded, and they stood there for a moment before Ryia caved and started laughing, throwing her arms around him.

"I'm still annoyed at him," Kida grumbled, glaring at her brother as they broke off the hug. "If a human could survive that fall, imagine all the fuss that could've been avoided if you grabbed her instead of me?"

"That's not particularly true, actually," Ryia sighed. "I only survived because I wasn't immortal. All the immortals, every single one of them... I don't know. It's like they were cured, but becoming mortal killed them. You would've died if you fell, Kida."

"That was me," Issey announced, and everyone looked at her. "I mixed in a little poison with the cure in the bomb I made. Don't worry, Kida," she added as Kida started looking horrified. "Yours is harmless."

Ryia frowned. "Her what?"

"My cure," Kida replied smugly, waving the bottle in her face. "I get to be an elf again!"

"So you're gonna take it?" Kieron asked, and his sister's eyes sparkled.

"I want my life back," she admitted. "I want to see my parents again. I want to be me again. So yeah. I think I'm gonna take it."

Suddenly, Helio appeared beside Quin, who jumped slightly at the suddenness of the spirit's appearance.

"Stop doing that!" he exclaimed, and Helio looked at him.

"Sorry," he said, then his eyes landed on Ryia. Quin had to say, he didn't know what Helio looked like when he was surprised. Was it just a slight raise of the brow? Or was it a full-on, gobsmacked expression? He never knew, and thought he never was going to know. Until that moment.

"Ryia?" he said quizzically, but it sounded like a question. Ryia grinned, twinkling her fingers at him.

"Hi," she said, and he tilted his head sideways.

"You are supposed to be dead."

"Am I?"

"Yes."

"Well, I'm not."

"Apparently so."

"Obviously so."