Chapter Twenty - Issobel Rique

After talking with Hallee the previous night, Issey's look on the situation had lightened a little. But that didn't mean she wasn't willing to do whatever it took to save her father. If it put herself in danger, she didn't care. He was the most important thing in her life, and if he died while Issey could've done something to save him, she would never be able to live with herself again.

"How much longer to we have to go?" Ryia whined, and Issey glanced at the human with an eyebrow raised. She had tied her hair back, and was trying to soothe her head with her hands. It clearly wasn't working.

"Only a few more days," Helio assured her, which made Ryia scowl.

"Easy for you to say," she grumbled. "You don't need to rest."

"You're an assassin, Ryia," Kida shot back. "How are you exhausted after half a day of walking and not by running away from crime scenes?"

"I actually like killing people, in case you didn't notice," Ryia glowered. "Walking? Not so much."

Despite her seriousness, Issey chuckled a little. She was walking along a long stretch of big rocks, with her agile movements not letting her stumble once. Everyone else was walking on the ground beside her, which meant Issey had the advantage of being able to see further ahead because she was higher up.

"Here, have this," Issey called down, chucking a skin of water down to Ryia. She caught it, peering up at Issey.

"I'm not drinking this," she shouted, and Issey rolled her eyes. "What? For all I know, you've poisoned it."

"Why would I poison it?" Issey demanded, glaring down at Ryia as they walked. "We kind of need you alive, if you hadn't noticed?"

"I don't know what you're up to," Ryia hissed. "I don't know if you've planned to get me killed or whatever. I just know that I don't like you. I don't trust you. So thanks, but no thanks."

"Whatever," Issey muttered, catching the pouch that Ryia threw back up. She took the lid off and drank a little bit before popping the lid back on and tying it back to her belt. She basked in the satisfaction she got from Ryia's glares.

"Hey, melamin," Arlo shouted from below, and Issey rolled her eyes.

"What?" she shouted back, turning to look at Arlo, who paused.

"I forgot," he admitted dryly. "Never mind."

"You just wanted to say 'melamin', didn't you?" Issey sighed, and Arlo scowled.

"Shut up, I actually had something to say," he muttered. Suddenly, he yelped and jumped out the way as Quin, who was walking in front of him, tripped over nothing and landed in the dirt with a shout of surprise. Issey, who was as shocked as everyone else, jumped down from the rocks and jogged over to where Quin was rolling on the floor, holding his shoulder tightly to his body. He was grimacing, and Issey suspected an injury.

"You alright?" Issey asked as she helped him sit up. Quin frowned, clearly dazed.

"I don't... what the...?" he mumbled, and Issey glanced up.

"Should we stop?" she asked hesitantly, her eyes landing on Helio. "He doesn't look well."

"No," Quin managed, and Issey's eyes flickered back down to him. "I just... I'm fine. Let's keep going."

"Are you sure?" Helio questioned. "Issobel is correct. You do not look well."

"It's just my shoulder, that's all," Quin mumbled, holding his hand to it. Issey's eyebrows creased up; it looked dislocated. "Happened weeks ago."