Chapter Thirty Seven - Hallee Raegnor

Hallee couldn't have been happier with how everything had turned out. Together, she and her friends had managed to save the world from the bad influence of powerful people who thought they were better than everyone else twice, and Hallee's best friend was now Queen of Reichon. Talk about friends in high places; she was going to have fun with this. She could tell Issey would take some time adjusting to her new status, but with the help of her friends – Quin especially – she was going to be just fine.

"Hallee, hurry up," Arlo called, and she pulled her bag tighter over her shoulder as she took one last shaky breath and stepped off of the boat, glancing around nervously. Since her family had died and her home in Kinos was burned to the ground, Hallee had only visited Adrana, Rathnos and Kron. But the species that lived in these countries, the humans and the Yaasma... none were as refined or as delicate as the Elves, and they never could be. Elves were, of all the species in Reichon, the most intimidating to Hallee, even more so than the Dwarves. Why? Because she could never harness their grace, their polished beauty and charm. She was a killer. She had killed people. She had been raped and tortured and she would never be called 'charming' or 'elegant' again. And now, here she was on Ioven Island, with the last person in Reichon she'd have expected herself to be with a year ago.

Arlo was waiting for her on the port, his brown hair flecked with snow raked roughly out of his eyes to reveal his gorgeous face looking at her from where he stood. He had a grin on his mouth, the kind of grin that made her heart spin in her chest. He didn't even know he was doing it; he didn't know that one grin could be the difference between the worst day of her life and the best.

"I am nervous," she admitted when she reached his side, the cloak she was wearing around her shoulders to keep out the cold swishing with the movement of her legs. Because Ioven Island was constantly cold and snowing, Arlo had made sure Hallee was warm at every moment of the trip so she wouldn't be suffering by the time they arrived home. His concern was touching.

"Don't be nervous," he told her, pulling her into his side, and she looked at him.

"Oh, wow, look at that!" she exclaimed. "My nerves just disappeared!" She hit him for good measure, and he retracted with a light, shaky laugh.

"Okay, that wasn't helpful," he admitted, glancing around as he spoke. Hallee followed his gaze; he was looking at the palace. Heath was, apparently, different to how Arlo remembered it. He had been gone for long enough that many changes had happened in his absence, so Hallee softened slightly when she saw his face fall.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" she asked him, standing close to reassure him. "Whatever you decide to do, I'm going to be right here with you. No matter what." Arlo looked at her, smiling tightly.

"I want to do this," he assured her with a nod, and her hand slipped into his.

"Then I'm right beside you," she replied, and he kissed her cheek before moving forward, his hand tightening in hers. She didn't let go.

In all truth, Hallee was probably more nervous than Arlo was. He had been here before; sure, he had been kicked out last time with nothing but his stick and his clothes, but he was in familiar territory. Issey had sent a message to Ioven Island and forced Arlo's parents to step down from their duties on the Council. Now, their only responsibilities were being parents to the child they had neglected in their duties to their island. Arlo couldn't have been happier with Issey's decision; he was allowed to go back to his family now, and actually be a family. And he was so excited to bring Hallee with him; although they wouldn't actually be living with his parents, they were going to be living on the same island, and Hallee was freaking out. She'd never met a guy's parents before; what was she supposed to say? Was she supposed to smile and be polite? Or be herself? Was she allowed to talk? Was she supposed to be from a wealthy family, or have a knowledge about expensive wines? She had no idea what she was doing, and she cursed Arlo for suggesting she come live with him. She loved him, of course she did; he took care of her, he was gentle with her. He understood her. But meeting his parents, the same parents that kicked him out, wasn't something she thought she was ready for. They sounded like self-centred, egotistical morons. But they were still his parents, and she had to love them even if she didn't want to.