you're not my roommate... : kh

"you're not my roommate but you're really drunk and oh fuck now you're crying i guess you can stay??"

+

he doesn't hate his roommate, really, but he never realized how quiet the dorm could be without him. no dumb movies in the background, no putrid hairdryer sound in the early morning and no "tobio-chan!!" which he definitely does not miss.

but he doesn't love his roommate.

tobio knows very well that when they grew up, tooru is not going to be his best man at his wedding, and they aren't going to go out for beer and complain about their significant others or watch sports together, and he was fine with that. tooru was larger than life, and just a bit too much for tobio to handle.

besides, he likes the quiet better anyways.

and there he sits, hot chocolate on the wooden table beside their uncomfortable couch and his legs pulled up close to his body, his computer sitting there.

the tv blared something about a festival and tobio can't bring himself to care, so he reaches for the remote and presses the power button and the tv is dark. the room is significantly more quiet and darker, but he doesn't mind. he's about to go to bed anyways.

he thinks about tooru and while he doesn't miss him while he's away visiting some friend that he has a dumb and childish name for, he can't help but miss their routine. tooru always goes to bed first so tobio has to always turn off the light, make sure the doors are locked and go to his room. he is promptly awakened too early in the morning by a hairdryer, tooru eats a muffin and tobio drinks his glass of milk, and they go to classes. tooru goes to bed first and the cycle restarts.

so it's a bit odd without him.

tobio shuts his computer and stretches his legs out, cringing at the popping and cracking sounds that he feels in his legs and quickly downs the rest of the hot chocolate. it's cold.

he's walking towards the door to lock it when he sees the knob turning. it creaks eerily as it turns and then it stops, then resumes turning. tobio panics, thinks of running, then decides to stay. why he does this, he doesn't know.

the door clicks and creaks open and tobio holds his breath, although he doesn't know why. it's probably just some drunk party-goer. it's friday night, and this wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

he finally grabs the door handle and yanks it open to reveal a kid? tobio blinks, and looks at the kid, who upon further observation is actually a college student.

he is short and he has hair more red than fire, tobio thinks. his eyes are slightly glazed over and his gaze is blank, his brown eyes burning holes in tobio.

"yeah?" is what he says to him, because what else are you supposed to say to a drunk student outside your dorm who looks like a child.

"this.. this isn't my dorm?" the redhead asks to nobody in particular, not quite meeting tobio's eyes, and is he swaying?

"um, no. i'm kageyama tobio? oikawa tooru lives here as well... are you lost?" tobio asks, the redhead looking as if he's going to pass out or throw up at any moment, or maybe both.

his face is flushed and suddenly he sticks out a hand to lean against the doorway. "nice to meet you, kag—," he frowns. "kagma tobi."

tobio shakes his head in exasperation and sighs. "you're really drunk, you know?"

the kid looks shocked, offended even and removes his hand from the doorway to point at himself. "i'm not drrr—," he frowns again and clears his throat. "i'm not drunk. you— you're drunk i think," he says, smiling a loopy smile when he finally gets all of his sentence out. "you're drunk i think," he repeats, looking very sure and proud of himself.

tobio only sighs again. "well, it's been a nice chat but it's late and this is going nowhere."

the kid bursts into tears.

"there was a party, and and, kenma didn't wanna go but i did and i think he hates me 'cause i'm drunk and he made me leave 'n i can't find my— my room please help me kagy— kageyem— kageyama tobio."

tobio has never been good with emotions. not his own, and certainly not with others. while the kid stumbles over his words in some state past drunk telling his sob story that doesn't sound all that bad, tobio begins to close the door.

it doesn't take long for the redhead to notice this.

"now you're closing me out! i thought we were best friends yamakag tobio!" and, tears streaming down his face and all, the redhead wedges himself into the slowly narrowing gap between the door and the doorway and worms his way inside.

"what the hell? get out, you dumbass!" tobio yells but the redhead refuses to listen and stumbles in a zigzagged pattern over to the couch and flops down, his tears already leaving a wet patch in the fabric.

"i'm not even that drunk," he mumbles, and tobio disagrees internally. "so why'd he make me leave?" he asks nobody in particular, dragging out the syllables of his last word, continuing to cry until his breath finally evens out.

tobio simply stands in the same spot, looking on in shock and annoyance. the redhead begins to snore, completely passed out, and tobio finally moves to find a blanket for the idiot, stopping on his way back to fill a glass with water and place it on the table next to the couch and grab some pills.

he spreads the blanket haphazardly across him and leaves, deciding that maybe the stranger is a bit cute, and maybe once he sobers up he'll be less annoying, and finds himself maybe looking forward to when he has to confront him in the morning.

maybe.

+

for the record, idk how to write
drunk people but i tried my best ok.
i just thought this au was really cute
and that it really fit these two so here
we go!

thanks for reading!!