you clicked your heels and wished for me : io

they're each other's home.

+

the ladder is cool beneath his slowly reddening fingers as he climbs gingerly, carefully.

the wind tousles his hair, chilling him to the bone as he continues to climb. "hurry up!" comes a voice.

he snorts. "be patient!"

a mop of brown hair peers over the edge of the roof and two large, brown eyes stare down into his own. "iwa-chan, is it just me, or have i always been patient?" he asks sweetly.

"it's just you," hajime says jokingly and clambers the rest of the way up the ladder, scrambling onto the roof.

"finally! welcome, iwa-chan!" shouts tooru, throwing his hands into the air with excitement, his sleeves sliding down his arms.

"what do you even do up here?" hajime questions, looking down at the ground, seemingly so far away, then back at tooru who's smile is as wide as an ocean.

his eyes twinkle like the stars above them. "why, i'm so glad you asked! this is where i do my ufo searching," he proudly says, grinning ear to ear.

hajime sighs. "oikawa, we're in the second grade now, you know aliens don't exist right?"

tooru is taken aback, offended looking even. "i don't care what people say! i want to believe!" he narrows his eyes. "haters can't see ufos."

hajime groans. "that's the dumbest thing you've ever said," he says tauntingly, crossing his arms and rolling his eyes.

tooru playfully shoves him in the shoulder, laughing. "you think i'm kidding? i've really seen some!" he shouts.

hajime's eyes light up momentarily and he unfolds his arms, looking at tooru maybe less skeptically than before.

"have you really seen some?" he asks, maybe excitedly, not that he'd ever admit that he's excited about aliens.

tooru looks to the sky as if thinking. "well, i think i've seen them. i asked my big sister if she thought they were ufos, and she just told me to go away." he says with a laugh.

"i would too," hajime says, and tooru looks back down to meet his eyes and scoffs.

"sh, this is prime ufo sighting hour," tooru says, his voice hushed and he raises a hand to quiet hajime.

hajime looks to the sky, the stars white splatters on a navy canvas.

"look! there's one right there!" tooru squeals, raising his hand to point to some object gliding across the sky, flashing lights attached to it and all.

hajime taps tooru on the head. "that's a plane, stupid," he says in exasperation.

a moment of silence passes between the two, the wind chilling them and the cool air nipping at their noses and fingers.

"iwa-chan, look, it's a shooting star!!" he shouts, and hajime yanks his head up to see a star dart across the sky.

"make a wish! hurry!" tooru whispers sharply, ducking his head and clapping his hands together almost as if he's praying.

hajime does as he's told, and wishes for tooru to grow out of this alien phase.

"what did you wish for?" he asks tooru who looks shocked in return.

"i'm not supposed to tell anyone, but i guess i can tell iwa-chan," he whispers. "i wished for a telescope."

hajime nods. "like those things pirates use?"

tooru shakes his head. "no, no! like the things real scientists use to look at the stars." he whips out a book from hajime has no idea where.

the title reads "constellations" and the cover is blue, decorated with whimsical drawings of humans, dogs, even a bull.

"the pictures the stars make?" he asks and tooru nods furiously.

"my grandma got me this book, and i can only see the big dipper until i get a telescope i think. you see that line of stars?" he asks, picking up hajime's hand to point it to the line of stars. hajime nods.

"that's the big dipper!" he says.

hajime frowns. "are you sure? i heard that was the milky way."

tooru sighs. "i think i'm sure."

hajime smiles, watching on as tooru points out more stars and constellations, but he's not listening. he watches; watches as tooru's face lights up and his eyes twinkle and the wind ruffles his hair and forms the perfect blush on his pale cheeks.

this is not his house, not his roof, technically he is not home.

but he looks at tooru one more time as a wide smile engulfs his face, and knows that he is home because they are together.

+

this didn't turn out like i wanted
it to but that's okay i guess.

don't forget that requests are always
open!!