Her Kindness

"Only a week had passed since my father's death when Rosetta and I finally decided to go through his office. It had been tough coming to the decision to do so, but it was imperative that it was done. We weren't sure if there were any documents still left to be signed or paperwork to go through, but we had to find it to ensure everything stayed on track.

For days, we went through all the old letters and agreements he had left behind. It wasn't the most pleasant of jobs, but it was nice to be able to see my father's handwriting. While I hadn't cared for it before, it now brought with it comfort. We read each of the letters, needing to decide whether they were current or older and sort them accordingly. The only things we found that had us both interested enough to take a break and read them fully were the letters between my father and Henry discussing our eventual marriage.

We went through piles of papers, reading each over nearly three times to ensure we weren't missing anything important. Not only that, but I had limited time to learn everything that my father had gathered during the years.

Since he had passed, I was to be the next Count of Transylvania. If I wanted to be good at this, which I did, I needed to have a widely based knowledge of my people, their history, the things my father had already discussed, and the things he had wanted to change in the months before he died. I was his legacy. I had to continue what he had started.

"Vladimir? I think you should look this one over.' Rosetta spoke from across the room of my father's office. She was standing behind his desk, a drawer open beside her. It was the eighth day of reorganizing his room. In her hands was a bulging envelope, the corners of it aged by the years.

I tilted my head as I stared at the large envelope, quick to walk to her side. I carefully took it from her and turned it over in my hands, finding that it had yet to be open. It was addressed to my father without any return address. 'That's strange.' I had never known father to be someone who refused to open mail. I glanced down into the drawer Rosetta had discovered it from, finding it to be directly in his sight. I had thought it to be a mistake, simply a forgotten letter as the years passed, but the placement told me otherwise. Father hadn't opened this letter on purpose.

I wondered why as I began cutting into the top of the envelope with Rosetta's eyes intently locked on the envelope as well. As soon as the paper was split, I could see what had caused it to bulge. I shook the contents out into my hand, surprised to see a palm-sized crimson jewel fall out with the letter. I placed the jewel in my other hand, interested in the letter that had fallen out with it. I opened it, eyes widening in confusion as I read through the letter.

Dear Alistair,

The time has come for you to join your past ancestors in leaving this human life behind. Your father hasn't explained any of this to you, but I promise in due time you'll understand everything. In the past, we have become great warriors in order to protect our people. When we are humans, there is only a certain amount of damage we can do, a certain amount of respect and trust we can gain. We are weak as humans. We are pathetic. But, in this form we are much more. We are stronger and more reliable. We are deadlier. We are better protectors of Transylvania. With this power, illness will no longer affect you. You will be the strongest man alive and it's only one step away.

Join your family, Alistair.

Harness the power of the gem.

I swallowed as I looked it over, turning it over to see if there was more but that was it. It said nothing else, nor was it signed. Anger began overpowering my confusion, not understanding how a person could dare send my father a letter that spoke of another power, that spoke of becoming stronger than any illness. It felt like a cruel, sick joke.