Her Endurance

The day soon came that we all had been dreading.

It was late afternoon when Franklin approached Rosetta and I in the library. We had slept for only half of the day with the promise that the servants would wake us when they arrived, but it didn't happen while we slept. While we were tired, we knew that it had to happen this way. We'd be able to sleep when her father was gone.

'Henry's carriage has arrived,' Franklin said quietly, his gaze glancing between the two of us. He held his hands behind his back, waiting for the reaction.

Rosetta tensed as she set her book down. She became rigid, her gaze looking past Franklin and towards the wall. She couldn't speak.

'Bring his things to a guest bedroom and get him settled in the entryway. Treat him and his guards to any drink or food they desire. We will be down shortly to greet him. Please ensure that the lights are dimmer than normal around this time, please.' I pulled myself to a standing position as I offered a smile in his direction.

Franklin hesitated. His eyes were quick to avert away from mine. 'Some of the other servants tried to take his bags and he refused. He isn't staying for long, oddly enough. He brought another person with him, sire.'

'Another person?' I glanced at Rosetta, but she hadn't budged. I rested my hand upon her shoulder in an attempt to soothe her, but it didn't do anything for now. 'Who is it? Did they reveal themselves?'

He nodded, eyes falling upon Rosetta again. 'I believe you know him. His name is Caelum. He is one of the servants that assisted with the wedding and your escape from Invea.'

Rosetta's eyes snapped away from the wall and onto Franklin, wider than I had seen before. 'Caelum?' Tears were quick to swell in her eyes as she stood. 'Caelum is here?' Her shoulders relaxed and her movements became smooth again.

I pushed down the familiarity of jealousy I had felt when we were first married again. She was merely excited because he had been her best friend in Invea. He had been the only one to stick his neck out for her.

Franklin nodded, turning on his feet. 'Yes, milady. Caelum is here with your father. I'll bring them into the entryway to wait for your arrival.' He did his best to offer another smile in our direction, but it faded. None of us were sure how good of a thing this was.

'Vladimir, this won't work. I know it,' Rosetta ran her fingers through her hair, pulling at some knots that had gathered. 'Father isn't going to be happy.'

'Henry has no authority here,' I reminded. 'In this land, you outrank him. It's going to be fine. Besides, Caelum is here. That's exciting that you'll be able to see him again.' I wasn't sure how I felt about the situation, but seeing her visibly relax at the mention of the other man was enough to put me at peace. I didn't want her to revert back to before we had been wed. 'You can't see the future, my dear. However this ends, we'll be okay. Let us go greet them.' I gingerly grabbed her hand into mine and tugged her in the direction of the entryway.

In the silence, she followed after me. I could practically feel the concern and worry pouring off of her. Nonetheless, we walked hand in hand to the entryway.

Henry stood directly in front of the door, looking exactly as I remembered him. His face was cold like the stone walls around us, his expression twisted into a scowl. He was wearing one of his finer outfits, the robes trailing behind him like a wedding gown train. It was absolutely over the top.

Behind the king were four Invea guards. Between the guards and Henry was another man I recognized as Caelum. He hadn't changed much. His hair was longer and he looked less like a servant and more like a guard himself.