Don't let them kill my best friend

"HICCUP!"

The word had left Astrid's throat as she was already racing towards the two dark shapes lying on the snow, her azure gaze flicking to the rapidly retreating SUV...

...glossy black, license BSK-101, two men in the front with reddish hair apparently high-fiving as they skidded round the corner and away from the horrific collision...

...and then she skidded to a halt by the boy, seeing the tousled auburn head lift and tilt to stare at the black shape lying a few feet away.

"T-Toothless?" he croaked, his voice hoarse with pain. Astrid grimaced, seeing his left foot at an angle that clearly wasn't natural. But the boy determinedly dragged himself over the snow, his breath hitching with pain as he jostled his shattered leg. "It's me, bud..."

The dog's chest was rising and falling and a green eye cracked open. He whined pitifully as Hiccup's shaking hand reached his head and pressed his wet nose against the scraped skin. "I'm here, bud," Hiccup gasped, head spinning with pain. "It's okay..."

"Hiccup...I'll get you help," Astrid gasped, sliding to her knees and tenderly cradling his head in her lap, a hand gently stroking his messy hair. His face scrunched in pain and hand still pressed against Toothless's muzzle. She felt him curl into her, trembling with pain as she raised the phone to her ear with a shaking hand. She dialled 9-1-1...and waited.

"Please-we need an ambulance and the police...urgently. There's been a hit and run on Nordstrom, by the junction with Oslo Avenue. A boy and a dog are badly hurt." She swallowed. "Yes, I'm staying with them. My name is Astrid Hofferson. Yes...five minutes...thank you..."

"I'm...sorry..." Hiccup whispered. "I should...should've been more careful..."

"No...he swerved to hit you and Toothless," Astrid told him, stroking his head softly. She felt him press against her hand, his breathing ragged with pain. Toothless was whimpering painfully, one of his back legs crushed and the snow red. Painfully, his hand slid into his pocket and he dragged out his phone.

"The code is my birthday...0-2-2-9..." he whispered. "Call-call Gobber...and...Mom?"

"As soon as you're on your way to the hospital," she reassured him, still stroking his head. He flinched and lifted his head, green eyes dark with pain as he lifted his bloodless face.

"T-Toothless is injured," he groaned. "He-he needs a Vet..." She nodded, her face paling as she saw the damage to the mutt.

"He's very badly injured," she said gently, seeing his hand ceaselessly stroking his best friend's muzzle. "Does he have a veterinarian?"

"He's not insured...but I have money...savings..." he groaned, his eyes pleading. "Please take him to your Vet. Please get him treated. I will pay whatever it takes..."

"It can be very expensive," she murmured, hearing the desperation in his voice. He swallowed, breathing painfully.

"I will pay whatever it costs," he gasped. "I...just please...don't let them kill my best friend..." She felt her heart break at the pain in his voice and leaned close.

"I-I promise," she whispered as the sirens began to close. "Just hang on, Hiccup. Hang on..."

"Okay...Milady," he groaned. "Don't let them kill my bud."

oOo

Astrid remained with Hiccup until her parents arrived as they were preparing to take him to the hospital. Ingrid immediately called their veterinarian for Toothless as the police stopped Astrid and asked her for a statement. She gazed in agony at her friend.