Rougher

Hiccup's words turned out to be prophetic as the next couple of weeks went rapidly downhill. When they entered the school, the noise level in the hall dropped and whispers instantly began...whispers and giggles. Hiccup put his head down as usual and walked with his escorts to his locker while Astrid stuck to her friends, carried out her duties and arrived at every class on time. By mutual agreement, there were no overt signs of affection, which led Raylee to start a rumour that Astrid had dumped him. Even Hiccup supergluing Lilah's locker closed with all her possessions inside did little to lighten the mood.

Savage and Thuggory were watching Hiccup like hawks, always present whenever he went to the bathroom or was moving around with just a female escort. He was getting very agile with his crutches and Astrid was working him like a demon with his physical therapy exercises. Because his leg was pinned not merely plastered, he had some simple exercises to keep the muscles strong and she was determined that he would do them religiously.

But Astrid's grades were down and she was sure it wasn't because the standard of her work had dropped. In classes where there was no interpretation involved, her grades were as they were-vocabulary tests and pass/fail assignments were much the same. But she was convinced that she was being marked down and she found A- and B+ were becoming far more common than her usual A. She knew she was working as well as ever but she feared her father would blame Hiccup for the deterioration in her results. So she and Hiccup hatched a plot. They both did their Math homework separately and Astrid sealed her answers in an envelope...but then she copied, symbol by symbol, Hiccup's homework and handed it in. The results: she scored 10% less than he did for exactly the same work. And there was only one person who could be to blame.

Hiccup was chewed up with guilt, suggesting he should go and surrender to Alvin in exchange for leaving her alone but she had rubbished the suggestion, sitting quietly by him in the canteen, her hand twined under the table with his. The others couldn't do much, though the girls had stood fiercely by Astrid, rubbishing anyone who thought she had gone soft or let anyone down by befriending the outcast of the year. The Team also stood by her, though it was made more awkward when Lilah took up with Thuggory and Savannah-not to be outdone-started going out with Savage. For Hiccup, it was another complication as two groups of people who really disliked him had now joined forces.

After two and a half weeks, where Astrid's final grade was dipping towards a B, Hiccup decided he'd had enough and after school, he firmly grasped Astrid's hand and led her to see her father in his study. Martin Hofferson worked from home sometimes and Hiccup politely knocked the door and entered when bidden, dragging a resisting Astrid with him. She scowled at him, warning the boy that she didn't want her troubles discussed with her parents because they were her troubles...but Hiccup knew Alvin Treacher better. He sat down carefully and Astrid perched on the arm of his chair as they faced Martin. The man inspected them closely, reading their grave expressions.

"Is she pregnant?" he asked directly. Both teens blushed scarlet and Hiccup shook his head desperately.

N-no, sir!" he gabbled urgently, seeing the protective light in the man's eyes. "I can honestly say we've not done ANYTHING except kiss...and even then, I'm kind of careful what I touch, in case she punches me..."

"DAD! How could you accuse me...us..of doing...that...!" Astrid shouted at him, her eyes glittering. Martin was unrepentant.

"It's the first thing that comes to mind when your daughter and her live-in boyfriend come into your study and look so serious," he told them shortly. Hiccup gave a very nervous laugh.

"No, it's nothing like that...but it is something that could have almost as devastating effect on Astrid's future." Martin's brow furrowed further. "And I guess it probably is my fault," he added softly. Astrid's hand gently stroked his hair and she rested her head briefly against his shoulder.