Lies

Hiccup was released after two days when they hospital staff were satisfied he hadn't got a bad concussion or suffered any serious injuries. Snotlout had driven him home again, genuinely contrite that Hiccup had been injured on his watch. No matter that Hiccup had deliberately slipped his escorts to speak with Mr Grimborn, Snotlout felt responsible that the other boy had been harmed when Snotlout had promised to protect him. It made both Hiccup and Astrid look at the Football Captain in a new light.

Heather, Cami and Ruff were waiting for them at Astrid's house, bursting with news. Hiccup limped in on his crutches, manoeuvring over to the couch and lowering his battered shape into place. Astrid snuggled at his side, her hand twined with his. Snotlout and the girls arranged themselves around the room while Ingrid brought them all sodas. The previous day, Ingrid and Martin had been interviewed by Family Services and signed the forms to officially take custody of Hiccup as his foster parents. Astrid had been overjoyed when they had told her and when Martin had arrived at the hospital with Ingrid to tell Hiccup, the boy had been quiet for a long moment, staring at the wall and blinking rapidly. Then he had turned back to the Hoffersons and he had nodded.

"Thank you," he had said brokenly, his eyes shining. Ingrid had immediately gone to hug him, seeing him struggling and he had buried his face in her shoulder, shaking. He had been more astonished when Martin had wrapped his arms around both, enclosing them in a powerful, protective hug. Hiccup had stiffened for a moment...then allowed himself to relax in the embrace of two parents...neither of whom was his but both of which had stepped up to job when he needed them most. "Thanks," he whispered.

"Hey, Midgard to Hiccup!" Cami called with a grin and he snapped back to the present. His emerald eyes sparkled.

"Right here, Camilla," he replied cheekily. She threw a cushion at him.

"Okay, girls-spill!" Astrid cut in, forestalling a cushion fight. "While I know you guys are all pleased to see Hiccup, Ruff looks like she's going to explode with excitement so there has to be some serious news..."

"And then some!" Heather told her, her eyes sparkling. "The biggest is...Mr Treacher has been suspended!"

"WHAT?" Astrid gasped. Hiccup flinched, his eyes widening.

"Really?" he murmured.

"Yeah...it was all hushed up...which is why everyone knows," Ruff burst in. "Bullying and child abuse!" Astrid's head snapped round and looked at Hiccup. His green eyes flicked up and he nodded. The others stared.

"Wait...you mean...?" Snotlout realised, staring at Hiccup. "You? But how...?"

"Alvin Treacher is my step-father," he admitted quietly. Snotlout's jaw dropped and his mouth worked soundlessly. "He's been abusing me since he married my Mom, four years ago..."

The room fell silent.

"Um...did he...you know...touch you?" Snotlout said at length, saying what everyone was thinking. Hiccup sighed and shook his head.

"Thank the Gods, no," he admitted. "He just got his rocks off slapping me, burning me, hitting me..." He stared at his hands, falling silent. Astrid grasped his hand, her fingers sliding between his and he curled his fingers around her hand, lifting his eyes with a pained smile.

"That time...after Ast kissed you in the canteen...when he took you out, he hit you then, didn't he?" Cami asked him. He nodded. "You came back with a split lip and a slapped cheek."

"Though why no one ever asked beats me," he sighed.

"Because they all did as he told," Heather added. "And they were all in on it. The School Board are involved because of 'grading irregularities'." Astrid's eyes popped wide. "I guess it's to do with all our workbooks you got us to give to your Dad. Mr Grimborn has been suspended as well."