Ten

[RECAP]

Logan gave a final nod, turned on his heel and walked off, turning back to look at Evi halfway. She caught his searching eyes, his anxiety and his tense body. Something was definitely wrong.

But when she turned back to Tristian to ask him, he looked back with a no-nonsense expression.

"Don't think of asking me because that's something I can't tell you"

Evi scowled "I guessed as much. But tell me one thing at least"

Tristian paused at opening the driver's door to the car and looked over at her questioningly

"What?"

"Does it have something to do with Tegan?"

He didn't answer her question.

***

*TEN*

"See that? That's where the forest starts. We've somehow managed to keep the humans from trespassing onto these lands so far- mostly thanks to the fact that rumours spread easily in small towns such as ours, but just in case, we have wolves who patrol these areas. The last thing we want is for young wolves who are just about handling the process of transition to come across defenceless humans. That is the kind of chaos we are to strictly avoid"

Evianna turned her head and stared at Tristian, taking in his side profile. She watched him as he expertly handled the road whilst at the same time pointing out sites of interests out the window...

Tegan had painted him as the type who kept to himself.

Then why wasn't he acting or sounding like a guy who did just that?

"Yes honey, I know, I'm damn good looking but you've got to stop looking at me like that. Its distracting"

Evianna blinked, startled.

"Don't call me honey!"

He shot her a laughing glance "Or what Evi?"

Evianna's eyes narrowed "You won't like what I do Tristian"

He let out a teasing tsk and turned back to focus on the road. Evianna breathed out a sigh relief, glad that he hadn't pushed her like she'd expected him too. She was confident in her ability to defend herself, but defend herself against Tristian, her mate left her uncertain.

Evianna hated feeling uncertain. Merely being around him was making her feel uncertain... she had no idea why he all so suddenly wanted to spend time alone with her; he'd made it clear where she stood, and she'd made it clear where he stood. What else had they to discuss?

"Ah, should have known they would have taken separate cars. Good, I can drive you back home too"

Evianna blinked, saw Tristian glancing up at the rear-view mirror and looked at the side mirror to see what he was looking at. Behind Tristian's truck were two vehicles. She saw the faint outline of Tegan sitting next to Logan in the truck right behind; it looked like Blaire and Gray were in the truck behind. Evi's brows furrowed when she considered the arrangement... and then looked at Tristian questioningly

"Again babe, I can't tell you anything"

"Don't call me babe!" Evianna shot out in response, irritation flaring in her eyes. Tristian's lips quirked upwards as he took in her fiery expression.

"What else am I supposed to call you then?" He asked, frowning.

"I have a name "

Tristian nodded "Right, Evi"