Sticking to Your Resolutions

Kelly stuck to her resolution, the desperate promise she had made in the back of a taxi the night of her 40th birthday. She consigned Mark to history, determined he would get nothing further from her.

She and Mark had started having sex with each other two years ago, following one of Nell and Daniel's parties. As the two of them had spent most of the party flirting with each other, it seemed only natural to invite him in when they shared a taxi home afterwards.

Most of his attraction was down to his resemblance to his older brother. Nell had never pulled any punches when she described Mark and what he was like, but Kelly wanted to believe he couldn't be that bad. There must be part of him that was like Daniel, surely? They were brothers. They had been brought up by the same parents.

After they slept together for the first time, she didn't know what their relationship was. Five encounters later, she was still unsure, until realising that he saw her as someone to have 'fun' with, fun consisting of sex, and late night visits. He loved flirting with her when they were together in public, but the one time she had alluded to them knowing much more about each other than everyone thought, he clammed up immediately.

Kelly got something out of their affair – why continue for so long if she didn't? – as it was flattering to be sought out. The secrecy element had thrilled her at first. And despite being incredibly selfish, he was very generous in bed. Initially, she thought this a good thing. Selfish in life, but unselfish between the sheets, and then began to wonder if the opposite was the better option after all. Sex between a couple could always be improved.

She had seen other people. Dates here and there, and even the odd relationship. Unflatteringly, Mark was never in the least bit bothered when she told him about them, even asking her to describe in detail what she and the said man did. "Can he do this, Kelly?" he smirked as his fingers lightly stroked their way down her body. "Does he make you scream the way I do? Did you suck him off?"

He turned up at her flat some weeks after her 40th birthday party, looking sheepish. It was a Thursday night and she had been in the middle of a personal project, one that seemed to be doing well so far. The doorbell startled her – Mark's appearance a genuine surprise.

He'd had a few to drink – but then she didn't think he had ever turned up to see her stone-cold sober. She found herself eyeing him critically as he stood at her doorstep, swaying slightly. His eyes were slightly blood shot and his cheeks had that tell-tale broken vein look to them that signified that years of heavy drinking and smoking were starting to take effect. The portrait of Dorian Gray had finally caught up with him and those cheeky chappie looks were seeping away.

She let him in out of curiosity. It would be interesting to see what he had to say for himself and if he was in the slightest bit apologetic. She hadn't contracted him at all in the past two weeks.

He made his way towards her kitchen, opening the fridge and taking out a bottle of beer, unasked. Once, he had told her he loved her flat, an admission that surprised her. Kelly's flat was very...her. Nell had helped her out decorating it years ago, adding her own suggestions. But the colour choices were all Kelly's. She was particularly proud of the kitchen, the walls decorated with framed pictures and posters, literary quotes and a montage of photos and postcards. It was done in such a way to make the kitchen worthy of attention, but it still appeared uncluttered.

Mark was leaning against the fridge, one foot off the ground and placed flat against its surface. She had told him time and time again not to do that.

"Havenae seen you for a while, Kelly. I got you this." He dug into the inside pocket of his denim jacket and withdrew a small, gift-wrapped package.