'Cool Kid'

Niall's pov
I took one last drag from my cigarette before throwing it on the ground then treading the light out of it. The bell had rang five minutes ago but that sound stopped meaning anything to me years ago. Flinging my bag over my shoulder I began to walk into probably the ugliest building in Ireland.

"Niall!" A high pitched screech called. I recognised the voice straight away, to me that sound was worse than nails on a chalk board. I continued walking even though I could hear the footsteps following behind me. She was struggling to keep up with me even though I was only walking; why did the thought of that make me smile?

"This is the fifth time you've been late this week." She said, pulling out her notebook and writing it down. I rolled my eyes at her, and her stupid 'head girl' tie. "And?" I replied.
"It's Tuesday." She responded, quite blankly for her.

I cracked her a sarcastic smile and practically snatched the late detention slip out of her hand before she could hand it to me. She seemed to flinch at my touch and I watched her cheeks turn scarlet. Hmm, this could be fun.

"See you in detention." I winked at her and she gulped.

I sat through what was left of my physics lesson, drumming my fingers on my desk and earning glares off a few people. The second the bell rang I made my way to detention, not bothering to stop and steal food off one of my mates.

Before I entered I glanced through the window on the door and saw her. She wasn't the same as she was in the morning when i saw her; her face was still red but not from embarrassment, she'd been crying. Why do I feel so sad looking at her like this? She's so annoying, I thought I'd feel some sort of sickening pleasure seeing her this way. But instead I almost felt guilty, even though I knew she wasn't crying about me. Hell, she's probably crying because she didn't get an A or something.

She looked up and caught my eyes, I did a 180 spin and scurried away down the corridor. Fuck detention, I need a cigarette.

I hopped over the fence and went to the usual 'fag fort' as we called it. No one else was here, which was a surprise I'd never been so grateful for.

I flicked the lighter and held the cigarette between my lips, closing my eyes as I breathed in the first time. The first time is always so bittersweet, having the feeling you know you can't stop, yet also the feeling of relief.

When I opened my eyes, she was there. "What the fuck!" I screamed, almost falling back off the log I was perched on. But when I re positioned myself she wasn't there. I stood up and took another drag, walking around the corner and I saw her shaking against a wall. I wasn't hallucinating, thank god, I knew I wasn't that insane.

"Sup?" I asked, more concern showing in my voice than I had intended. She shakily moved her finger up to her lip to shush me, widening her eyes at the same time. Shit, what was wrong. I walked closer to her, stepping on a branch which made a loud cracking sound. "Ah shit fuck!" I whisper yelled. She shook her head at me but I noticed a small smile appear on her lips as she tried not to laugh. "Sorry." I whispered.

When I got near her I shot her my best, 'what the fuck is going on' look, and to my amazement she seemed to read this and began to whisper. "My dad found out I haven't been doing that well at school. It sounds small but he's super strict and he's started getting violent with me. He came to front office to come collect me and I don't know what he's going to do, so when I saw you leave I just ran after you. I knew you'd be leaving school and would probably know where to go. Sorry."

She managed to talk in between her sobs and I couldn't control my arm putting itself around her shoulder. "It's okay, y/n." I whispered. For a split second I swear I felt something I'd never felt before. This feeling was so alien to me I quickly removed my arm and I watched her face fall more.

Wow she trusts me enough to follow me. Or maybe she was extremely desperate. Yeah don't be stupid Niall, she basically just said it was the latter.

"Come with me, I skive all the time but we'll make it an adventure." I smiled at her, walking a few steps ahead and reaching my hand out towards her.

She won't come, I know she won't.

Complacently, she took my hand and I felt all the blood rush, down there. Fucksake, I hope she doesn't notice.

She didn't.

I quickly turned around, her hand still in mine and we jogged a little bit until we were quite far from school grounds and near the river.

She let my hand go and sat down on a bench. I joined her. Somewhere along this journey I had dropped my cigarette, I pulled out another one and swiftly lit it. She watched in awe and it made me laugh.

"I want one." She said. I almost dropped it again as my mouth fell open from this. She looked to sad for me to argue and since when did I care about other people's health. I handed her one and lit it for her, telling her to breath in. She did as I said and was only coughing and spluttering the first few drags, surprisingly.

The relaxing affect took its toll quickly on her, I could tell from her body language. God she looked so sexy with that cigarette between her teeth.

Y/n didn't even look like y/n. Her usual perfectly styled hair was wild and falling over her face, which had more colour in it than usual. And her eyes, seemed a completely different shade as they stared into mine.

This can't be real life, I haven't felt like this about anyone, ever. Especially not a nerd I thought I despised. But for some reason in this moment I didn't care, I didn't care that most of our conversations had been her having a go at me, me being horrible to her.

She seemed to not care either, I took this as my sign and gently crashed my lips onto hers. She didn't pull away and instead moved her mouth in perfect motion with mine. I felt something in my stomach but I couldn't for the life of me describe it.

Her hands cupped my cheeks and I knew in this moment my life had been completely flipped forever.