Chapter 33 - Expiration Date

I dreamt of this day for so long and I thought that I was going to be so happy when it finally came. I thought I would wake up and I would sing and the birds would come to help me get dressed. I thought I would sing a song and dance my way downstairs to Rhonda’s office just to flip her off and dance my way out of this place. Forever.

But no, I don’t wake up like singing, I don’t wake up like dancing. I just want to disappear. I just want to be over with this. I want my classes to start so I can focus on the important things and forget about everything else.

I’m so angry I’m here, I’m so furious that I had to spend so many years here, putting up with Rhonda and her two daughters. Putting up with snobby guests. Putting up with all this shit when I didn’t want to do this, when I missed my parents and where I couldn’t see what my dad began.

It’s over, today is the day, but I’m not happy, I’m not relieved, I’m not excited as I should be. I’m just tired and broken, I guess, because I gave up too many things just because of this. Because I wanted to win and I won… the expiration date of my contract is today, I won this battle, I didn’t let Rhonda make me quit, but I don’t feel satisfied. I feel as empty as usual.

I try to refuse to be part of the world and I hide myself under the sheets, closing my eyes tightly, hoping that by when I open them I’ll wake up and nothing of this would’ve ever happened. But of course I can’t have that. My mum died, my dad married an awful woman, my dad died then and I was left under that awful woman’s custody. Since then, my life has been a living hell.

I know, I know I always try to focus on the bright side of my life because not everything is bad, but today I’m too tired to do this. For six years I’ve been doing it, but I can’t anymore. I know it’s the last day but I’ve been strong for so long… Can’t I allow myself one day of weakness? Can’t I have my pity party now?

And no, this is not about Niall. He’s part of why I’m so tired, another way in which Rhonda ruined my life. I’m like this because of everything, because six years have been too long.

Maybe I should’ve quitted long ago. Maybe I should’ve run away. Maybe I should’ve given up six years ago.

But it’s too late to think about that. I didn’t give up, I won, but the price was really high and today… today that price weighs more than ever.

“Knock, knock,” someone says and I frown as I pull my head from under the sheets and look at the door. “Is Ella there?” The voice asks and I recognise it immediately.

“We bring goods,” another voice joins and I smile faintly.

“Come in,” I say out loud and three seconds later Olivia and Charlie walk in. She is carrying a tumbler that I hope brings coffee, and Charlie brings a paper bag. “Hi there,” I greet them sitting straight on my bed and waiting for them to join me.

“How are you, dear?” Liv asks. “We came to congratulate you. You made it, Ella. It’s your last day.”

I smile but I don’t feel victorious and I hate Rhonda, because she doesn’t even allow me that. Somehow, she ruins even the day I looked forward to the most. I don’t even know how she does that.

“I did it,” I agree but my voice sounds tired and I see the worry in their faces.

“We’ll be out of here in a couple of hours. It’s gonna be fine, Ella. We’ll be fine,” Charlie reminds me and I smile because I know it’s true. I know we’ll be better than ever, but that doesn’t mean I’m not tired.