Talk French To Me

Maya's P.O.V
I exited the room and was directed to my office by the same frantic woman from earlier, Ms. Stevens. It was small but I way bigger than the cubicles that the rest of the workers had.

"Mr

"Mr. Grayson will send down the work he needs completed, until then try to get settled" Ms. Stevens said. I nodded and she left the room. I hooked up my laptop and I sat there feeling a little useless. I stared out the window watching the birds fly by. A few minutes later I heard someone clear their throat. I almost fell out my chair by how hard I jumped, only to be faced by my boss Mr. Grayson.

"Here I need you to type out, copy, and file the financial statements from 3 of my hotels located in France, then 1:00 I want my lunch delivered from Xerobi I'll email you what I want, then at 4 o'clock I have a conference that you will be attending with me. Got it?" he said while putting a stack of papers on my desk.

"Yes sir" I replied.

"Make sure it's done on time Ms. Carson" he added then exited the room.  I released the huge breath I hadn't realized that I had been holding in. You got this Maya don't let this guy intimidate you, I thought to myself. I got to work on the financial statements and by the time I finished typing it was 12:00. I checked my email and sure enough his order was there, with the number to the restaurant.

Xerobi•(555-2387)
•Foie gras
•Margnat red wine
•Mille-feuille

I picked up the phone and ordered the food which they said will be here in 30 minutes. I hate how he wanted me to order food I can barely even pronounce. Those people probably thought I sounded illiterate trying to pronounce "Foie gras". What the hell is that anyway? I started to work on copying the documents and 45 minutes later Ms. Stevens buzzed my office.

"Mr. Grayson's order is here"

"I'm on my way now, thanks" It was 12:48 so I quickly left my office and made my way to her desk.

"Don't be late with his food. He hates tardiness" she stated. Don't you think I know hoe? I rolled my eyes internally, and walked to his office. I could hear Mr. Grayson yelling at someone on the phone, I knocked then there was silence. I heard I gruff "come in" and so I entered. He was standing in front of his desk looking at me with those piercing eyes.

"I have your order sir" I stated.

"Sit it on the table" he pointed. I walked over to it and sat the bag and the bottle down. "How far have you gotten with the financial statements?" he asked.

"I'm in the process of copying them" I replied.

"Make sure you make two copies of each, one for your files and one for mine. Then you can take your lunch"

"Yes sir" I nodded then left the room. His moody demeanor is irritating, it gets under my skin. Make up your mind, do you want to my boss or do you want to strangle me? I returned to my office and I plopped down in my chair and sighed. This is my life now I can't back out, I definitely need some familiarity in my life and this is only the first day it'll get better. I finally finished with the copies so I decided to go ahead and deliver the files to him. I seriously already dreaded going into his office. Before going in I noticed the door was cracked and I heard more shouting but this time there was a female voice too. He is a very angry man, I thought, glad to see it's not just me he acts an ass towards.

"Acte quelle manière Adalie? Je ne vous aime pas" (Act like what Adalie? I don't love you) a masculine voice yelled.

"Après tout nous avons été" (After all we've been through) she screamed. Are they speaking French? What the hell is really going on? "Nous avons été censés nous marier. Votre papa a dit ainsi" (We were supposed to get married. Your dad said so) she added.

"Get out Adalie" Mr. Grayson replied gruffly.

"You'll regret this" she said shrilly, the door then flew open quickly as she took her leave. When she pushed past me I could only catch a glimpse of her long dark brown hair flowing behind her as she stalked away.

"Um sir I have the files" I spoke up quietly from the doorway. He took them out of my hand while making direct eye contact with me. "I'm sorry for eavesdropping" I whispered.

"It's not like you understood it anyway" he smiled. So he does have another emotion other than asshole. "Cancel my conference for today I have some family issues to attend to" he stated returning to his desk. When I got back to my office I emailed his partners relaying Mr. Grayson's messages. I filed my copies and finally I could go home. I turned off the lights and headed to the elevator.

"Are you Grayson's new personal assistant?" a guy asked. He looked to be in his early twenties, lively brown eyes, full lips, and the whitest, most perfect teeth.

"That's me, I'm Maya" I replied stepping onto the elevator.

"Reid Vernon, I take it your first day went well. You're not convulsing in a pool of your own tears" he laughed.

"It was okay, he's a little intimidating but it's nothing I can't handle" I cracked up.

"Well I hope you stay longer than the others, he goes through PA's like toilet paper" he stated. The elevator stopped on my floor and I waved goodbye to Mr. Vernon. What did my boss do to his previous assistants? And will it happen to me?