SIX

Someone was knocking on my front door.

            I twisted and turned in my bed, waiting for the knocking to stop. It didn’t. I groaned, wondering where Holly was.

            “Amanda!” Holly’s voice suddenly boomed in the whole apartment. “Would you please get the door? I’m in the shower!” Well, that explains it.

            Reluctantly, I threw the covers off me. I was met with cold air and I fought the huge urge to crawl back into bed, but the dang knocking won’t stop. I made my way out, grabbing my glasses as I did so.

            “I’m coming, I’m coming!” I shouted, grumbling profanities under my breath. I scowled, as I opened the door, not even bothering to check if I looked presentable or not.

            My eyes widen. A bouquet of pink flowers was shoved in my face; not just any flowers either, they were my carnations – my favorite.  Unsure of what was happening, I asked a dumb question. I knew I should have asked what the flowers were for, but I asked a dumb question. “Who’s there?”

            I heard a chuckle and the flowers were lowered down. My blue eyes met green ones and I knew I should have blushed or did whatever normal girls did, but instead I looked at scowled at him. “You should have climbed the dang fire-escape.” I said while turning around to walk into the kitchen and leaving the door open so he could come in.

            “Well, good morning to you too. And you’re welcome for the flowers.” He remarked sarcastically, walking in and closing the door behind him.

            I took out an empty tall glass and filled it partially with water and placed it on the island. “Alright, alright. Thanks for the flowers, I’ll tell Holly they’re from you.” I stifled a yawn while adjusting my glasses.

            Liam snorted, still grasping the bouquet. I admired them from the distance since we were both standing on opposite sides of the kitchen island. “Mandy, these are for you.” He had his smirk on again. How I hated that smirk of his.

            I almost allowed a blush to appear when he said, “Don’t get too flattered. These aren’t from me.” I scowled. Of course it wasn’t from him. “Like I’d ever send you carnations.”

            I narrowed my eyes at him. “Please, like I’d accept them even if you did.”

            “Whatever floats your boat, Amanda.” He trusted the bouquet towards me. I took it gingerly and sniffed them. Carnations smelled lovely, and I have always loved them since young. I’d much prefer them to the classic rose.

            I saw Liam looking at me from the corner of my eye. He smiled slightly, but when he saw me looking at him back, he quickly shook it off and smirked. “They’re from Dylan.”

            Dylan was the secretary of the Student Council. He was also my date for the Fall Dance that was the night after today.

            “Why’d he send me carnations for?” I asked, a little skeptical.

            “He’s not taking you to the dance.” I looked at the British, dumbfounded. A part of me was sad that I no longer had a date, but another part of me was happy because that only meant one thing.

            “Has he finally grew a pair and asked Paige?” I guessed.

            “Unfortunately so.” Liam gritted his teeth in annoyance. This time, it was my turn to smirk at him.