Chapter Three: Astoria

Dedicated to a fellow Potterhead and the only badass Hufflepuff in recorded history: 

Bea Eloriaga 

This is for you, Elsa! (/^▽^)/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

Chapter Three: Astoria

October 1996

"Honestly, the nerve of that blithering git! Can you believe him?!" Astoria fumed as she shoved a helpful of shepherd's pie in her mouth, grinding her food angrily before chucking her fork violently against a fat sausage. "Tomorrow, 1 o'clock, near the Blake Lake. Who does he bloody think he is?!"

Daphne laughed with her mouth full, causing some of the people in their table to glare at her disgustingly. The blonde shook her head and she swallowed her fill of food before answering, "He's a Malfoy, that's what he is. What did you expect? He'd play friendly with you just because you've had a few good encounters with him?"

"No, but I'd expect he'd be a bit more civil considering his family's status with the ministry." Astoria spat as she took a swig of pumpkin juice, nearly choking on it had she not the decency of a proper gag reflex.

Astoria simply couldn't believe what had happened last night. She had thought her fourth year at Hogwarts would be an endearing start, especially with her acing her Potions class with ease in which she took quite the liberty of studying in advance before the year began. It all began perfectly; she got into the Slug Club and started her classes off with advanced readings like she had planned. Mum seemed to be happy of how her year was starting off, having promised to send her parents letters twice in a day to assure them of their still being alive.

But, really, the cherry on top was having the honor of being a tutor for Professor Horace Slughorn's troubled students in Potions class. Even though she was only in her fourth year, she quite enjoyed reading the syllabus of the higher year level's – which were actually far more interesting than her year. And when the professor found this sentiment about her, he then offered her extra points in class should she be able to tutor a particular failing student of his.

She had no idea that failing student was Draco Malfoy.

Yes, given, she used to be quite taken by him. But after he spoke of her like she was some little girl, a simpleton so less of his kind; she didn't question her attraction back then decreasing; even more now by ten-fold.

Astoria always heard of Draco's pettiness and his pretentious jabs at other people below him, but never has she been more irritated by the way he had done so with her. He may call her little Greengrass for all she cared, but for him to underestimate her abilities and her smarts; which she assumed are far greater than his at this point, truly dented her in more ways than one.

She wasn't just pissed. She was downright furious, and she bloody hated the git people worshipped called Draco Malfoy. Or used to worship anyway.

"Oh, cheer up, Tori." Daphne said, rolling her eyes before gracing her with a knowing smirk. "At least you get to spend time with him. Didn't you tell me at the Hogwarts Express that he looks quite troubled to the point that you wouldn't mind a word or two with him?"

"Not anymore." Astoria hissed at her sister before slamming her empty glass of pumpkin juice on the table. "No way in Merlin's pants am I going to enjoy a single second with that pompous arse. He's an arrogant, selfish, uncivil, pretentious little git! I don't understand what the lot of you see in him. All I see is a spoiled, privileged man who has no care for the people around him whatsoever."