Chapter Twenty-Five: Draco

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 1997

Draco had never been particularly brave. He was determined, perhaps. He was driven by his egotistical tendencies in most cases, yes. But never brave. Being brave meant a reckless abandon for everything he worked hard to protect. Bravery meant doing things without considering the consequences. It also meant throwing his family under the bloody Knight Bus for the sake of doing the "right" thing.

No, Draco Malfoy could never be brave. But he could try to be for her.

Heavy footfalls echoed the corridor leading up to the ugly-looking gargoyle statue standing erect at the end. Draco rarely visited the Headmaster's Office, but for this particular reason, he felt he should have done it after Madame Pomfrey shoved him and company out of the hospital wing to heal Astoria.

Astoria.

The thought of her made his heart twinge in all sorts of ways, though right now, it was mostly in pain. Three days passed before Madame Pomfrey finally allowed visitors for Astoria. Apparently, due to Astoria's weak immune system, it had been difficult to keep her from losing more blood. The infection on her wrist where she had been cut had taken longer to heal than most infections. And even then, Astoria was still bedridden from how her body responded to the Cruciatus curse on top of the damage that was done to her wrist.

He had known Astoria for having a weak immune system. The first time she tutored him, she had been sporting a terrible cold. But he never knew it went beyond the usual norm. It was odd, even more when he questioned Daphne why she was so. The older Greengrass simply froze in fear, as though she had been caught in a lie.

His suspicion grew, but he kept it to himself for now.

When Astoria still hadn't woken up after weeks of being bedridden in the hospital wing, Draco began to worry. It was why he stood before the gargoyle statue now to visit its current headmaster. He muttered Salazar Slytherin to the gargoyle. The statue came alive before it leapt aside to reveal a windingly circular staircase leading up to the Headmaster's Tower.

As soon as Draco reached the top, he knocked thrice before pushing the heavy wooden door open.

Severus Snape stood before his desk, glaring at Draco icily. It looked as if he had snapped up from his seat, papers flying everywhere, surprise fell over him.

"Mr. Malfoy, you've clearly lost your manners." Snape drawled out delicately, but his voice dripped with malice. His cold eyes swept the boy before him, looking unimpressed. "And your sense of dignity. Fix yourself, boy."

Draco's brows pinched together in irritation. He knew he didn't look his best today, simply throwing in his white shirt, his trousers and his Slytherin necktie askew. But he didn't feel the need to look the part today. "I need to speak with you."

Snape frowned. "It appears so."

Once he shut the door behind him, Draco made his way up to the headmaster's desk. "The Carrows need to be... controlled."

The headmaster raised a brow. "How so?"

"Their forms of punishment have gone beyond what is usual." Draco balled his hands into fists, feeling his anger rise at Snape's attempt to look clueless. "Have you heard of what happened to Astoria Greengrass? I don't particularly like listening to her loony-bin friend Lovegood, but I believe her well enough when she says that the Carrows has decided to use a different method other than unforgiveable curses on their students."