Chapter 18

Your eyes open slowly, but then you wondered if they were opened in the first place. It was dark, too dark. It was cold and smooth where you lay. You speculated you were lying on a stone. You sat up slowly trying not to worsen the soreness. Just as slowly as opening your eyes, a glow emerged from behind you. You looked indirectly towards it way, squinting and blinking numerously. It was different from the tree that glowed threateningly. This glow held a warmth and a much whiter brilliance.

Another glow lit but it was much dimmer compared to the white brilliance.

"This girl who holds the next position of one of the guardians has failed her test in becoming a full fledge."

You were surprised when you heard it flicker while the male voice spoke. Another light flickered.

"She might as well never be! She changed the timeline!"

The female voice triggered more as more lights flickered all in around her. Voices rang everywhere.

"She's disgracing the ancestry line!"

"Irresponsible!"

"She went against the laws of nature!"

"All because of a boy!"

A voice like no other stood out from the rest and it came from the outshining glow.

"Silence!"

Every voice that rang become shushed and the flickering stopped, immediately dimming. This voice had enough authority to silence what must have been hundreds of lights. The voice might have the strictness but you could recognize anywhere.

"Mom..."

The brilliant glow warped into your mother's figure. She looked as beautiful as you remembered. She wore exactly the same clothes as before but it was all pure white. Her hair flowed loose from the braids she would wear. You remembered a lot of people complimented you on how you looked so much like your mother but you always disagreed. You never thought you could reach her beauty and radiance.

She smiled gently yet her eyes held sadness, "You've been through a lot, my sweet [Name]."

"Mom, is that really you?" you cried.

"Unfortunately," her eyes closed then reopened slowly. They held more sternness than you had ever seen from her. "I wished we had met on better circumstances but you have anger our ancestors."

"What do you mean?"

"You are currently being judged from all our ancestors," she answered simply.

"For what? What is going on, Mother?" you cried even more.

"Hush, child. I will only speak for the time being. I will explain everything to you once we have taken care of our current predicament," she explained briefly.

You wanted answers immediately but you didn't want to disobey her orders. You stayed quiet listening.

"Speak your troubled minds. Be quiet and one at a time or I will not hesitate to dismiss anyone who does not follow my procedures," she demanded.

"This girl has broken the laws of nature," one voice spoke.

"I am well aware as much as all of you are, but each one of you have spoke of hypocrisy," your mother countered, "Each one of us are guilty of breaking from a law to the smallest rule."

The room was silent until another voice spoke, "She has nearly wiped out the entire bloodline and the spirits of us, ancestors."

"I'm well aware of the counters and disadvantages she's been experienced with while testing her powers and along her journey, but as far as I'm concerned the incident will only happen on accident. My daughter was trained under me and my deceased husband," a pang went through your heart as you heard news about your father, "she has even been trained while I was not around. She well aware of the strange things that have been going on around her and takes caution. She knows when not to fight the unknown." She spoke in such confidence, it was almost scary.