New Business

Chapter Nine: New Business

JASMINE

"Congratulations Jasmine, we here at the university look forward to helping you kick start your design business and hope to see good things in the upcoming future."

I shake my lecturer's hand still in slight shock that with his help and smooth talking, he'd helped convince the university that my business was worth semi-funding. Of course, the university knew this looked good for them to brag about to future students, but I liked to think a small part of their support came from being genuinely interested in the potential of my small business which I wouldn't even have had the courage to talk about if it wasn't for Dan.

"Thank you very much, sir, I won't let you, this department or the university down. This is one way to start clearing my student loans."

"That's the spirit, Jasmine. Now go and celebrate, before the hard work starts and you have no time for a social life."

Seriously Mr. Jones was the best lecturer anyone could ask for. He was super supportive of all his students and actually wanted to watch us chase our dreams and eventually make them come true. I'd miss him once I graduated, but hoped we'd stay in touch because there was still so much more about photography he could teach me.

Unlike when the photo of Dan and I first dropped, I could now actually walk across campus and people didn't stare at me or feel the need to make a rude comment about my appearance or lack of talent. I hated to admit it but Dan was right about the YouTube video helping to snub out most if not all of the hate. Yes the initial comments on the video were negative and some even managed to make me cry a little, but as days passed and his fans actually started to look me up and realised I was just an ordinary person like themselves who just happened to bump into a famous youtuber the nice comments started to flood in and I gained a tonne of new followers across all my social media and blog.

It also meant that when I finally dropped the announcement about my new merch line that it reached loads more people than it would have before. All of my fans, pre Dan's video were ecstatic because they could finally purchase some of my photos on items as well as some original art pieces which would look fabulous wherever you put them in your house or flat. But some of my newish fans thought I was attention seeking and piggybacking off Dan and Phil to launch my own merch line, however, I have some pretty loyal followers who would fight tooth and claw for me and they didn't disappoint.

Getting out my phone I decide that I wanted to celebrate with just the girls. Which meant Sarah, and our new best friend Rachel who just clicked with the two of us and could easily have been our friend all her life.

*GROUP MESSAGE*

Jasmine: The university said yes to helping me with funding and setting up the merch line!

...

Sarah: That's bloody amazing love, we need to celebrate! Cupcakes are on me!

...

Rachel: Congrats Jasmine and you were nervous this morning that they'd turn you down...

Rachel: If the cupcakes are on Sarah I highly suggest we start our celebration there and then get plastered, later on, just the girls, though, no guys!

Jasmine: Agree to the no boy policy! But I need to message Dan first because I said I would and I keep my promises x

Sarah: Fine call your boyfriend! But then both you sexy ladies get your sexy butts down to the shop! I've just made a fresh batch of cupcakes x

Rachel: I don't need to be told twice, Sarah! I'm already out the door x

Jasmine: Dan is not my boyfriend! We're just very good friends!